The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Han Solo said:

I just watched episode five of the Mandalorian and it truly is fantastic. I'm a grown ass adult whose stoked that baby Yoda items are coming out for Christmas. 

Yeah dude hahaha I just ordered a baby yoda plush the other day even though it won't be out until may 2020 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah man. Just came out of my third screening...this movie is fucking incredible... wish there were still a spoiler function here to write but well... there were 2 things i wanted to see and they did both of them (in the third act). I love the last jedi but i can't deny that rian johnson kind of messed up a lot that j j had probably planned and set up for the future. And for that J J and chris terrio did an amazing job i think. I feel like with snoke as darth plagueis, which j j most likely had in mind, it would have been a quite predictable movie and trilogy arc. I feel kind of bad for all the people who don't like this film or the whole trilogy, i'm really glad i enjoy it as much as I do, I wish more would.

Uh nice, thanks!

Well the two things I really wanted to see and thought they'd never do is Rey and Ben getting together at the end and past jedi talking to Rey (specifically having liam neeson, hayden christensen, samuel l jackson, ewan mcgrgor and frank oz back) Such powerful scenes and beautifully executed, never thought they'd do that.

I think having only voices of past jedi instead of force ghosts is really timeless and beautiful. Ben dying at the end really saddens me because rey is kind of alone in terms of her force abilities all over again, sure she has found her identity and can move on from that and has literally chosen her own family, but it would have been so great if ben could have stayed alive. For the sake of ending the skywalker bloodline that had to be necessary i guess. But it's the genious of the film that everyone can think for themselves what happens next (at least for now), If Yoda can strike a lightning as a force ghost and materials can be transferred through the force maybe ben can find a way to get back as well somehow, who knows, I myself believe it.

I think it's kind of funny that a lot of "hardcore fans" hate this film and the whole trilogy and start to really love the prequels, like even famous youtubers who have bashed the trilogy a few years ago now say that it "at least was consistent"...they were not and there are a lot of things that don't fit with the originals... I mean i grew up on them as well but the movies all in all were pretty bad and there are no 2 ways about it. I still can remember getting out of episode 3 in 2005 and being incredibly diappointed, and I was freaking 12 years old and still understood that it wasn't a good movie. I love the phantom menace because it's my first real star wars memory but imagining what would have happened if these would actually have been incredible movies is mind boggling. Like, star wars still had world domination in terms of movie franchises and fandom and still has. So what would have happened if these were really great and intelligent films is crazy to think about. But still, I love them as a fan and childhood memories...

So Disney comes along and actually respects the franchise and fans still don't like it. I honestly think that any combination of movies in this trilogy would have been received negatively. The force awakens had such a positive feedback in the beginning which slowly faded away over the years. What rian johnson did in 8 was great in my opinion. Like, Luke was on the island for the entirety of the starkiller base fight, why would he now leave the island and suddenly be a badass? If he did, fans would complain about the logic of that as well...and if they would't they would care onl about the fan service, which they now complain about being included in 9...fucking trolls man. The force connection between rey and kylo is (for me personally) one if not the most interesting thing about the entire franchise. I think star wars is one of those things that will always have divisiveness around it because so many people care about it. I wish people were more united about it. For my own taste, they ended the story beautifully.

I’m genuinely glad to hear that many were satisfied with this conclusion, because I saw it yesterday and I’m still seething I hated it so much. I’m not a hardcore fan by any stretch and I quite enjoyed both the previous films, but I just couldn’t with the unearned fan service, inexplicable plot/action nonsense, and undoing some of the interesting wrinkles I thought Last Jedi added. 

The only entertaining part was when the two major characters kiss on the mouth near the end and the old man next to me in the theatre said “Barf”.

3 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I’m genuinely glad to hear that many were satisfied with this conclusion, because I saw it yesterday and I’m still seething I hated it so much. I’m not a hardcore fan by any stretch and I quite enjoyed both the previous films, but I just couldn’t with the unearned fan service, inexplicable plot/action nonsense, and undoing some of the interesting wrinkles I thought Last Jedi added. 

The only entertaining part was when the two major characters kiss on the mouth near the end and the old man next to me in the theatre said “Barf”.

This movie sucks. Barf is right.

3 hours ago, diabretic said:

Nope. Return of the Jedi is the greatest movie of all time.

That's not even the best of the older movies, imho.

For me it's probably:

1. The Mandalorian
  2. The Last Jedi
  3. The Rise of Skywalker
  4. Rogue One
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. Solo
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. The Return of the Jedi
  9. Revenge of the Sith
  10. A New Hope
  11. The Phantom Menace
  12. Attack of the Clones
Edited by daegor

18 hours ago, daegor said:

For me it's probably:

1. The Mandalorian
  2. The Last Jedi
  3. The Rise of Skywalker
  4. Rogue One
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. Solo
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. The Return of the Jedi
  9. Revenge of the Sith
  10. A New Hope
  11. The Phantom Menace
  12. Attack of the Clones

I think right now for me it would be

1. A New Hope

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. The Rise Of Skywalker

4. The Last Jedi

5. Return of the Jedi

6. The Force Awakens

7. Rogue One

8. Solo

9. The Phantom Menace

10. Attack Of The Clones

11. Revenge Of The Sith

this last one makes the second movie of this trilogy the worst.  its like, JJ Abrams wrote the first, watched the second and said "fuck I have to tie THAT together with the first?  FML" and then went ahead and did it.  All three of these movies are better than the prequels.  I loved 9, and was secretly hoping that whatever box/pyramid they were in at the end would break free of the chains.

Also, with ALL of those ships showing up at the end, they really didn't show much of a battle involving them.  it seemed like all the tiny ass xyz wings were blowing up ships 100x larger than them, with ALL of them having the same flaw in their design.  you'd think that the emperor would have learned his sith damned lesson with design flaws with the previous 5 MOVIES!