The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Well, you know

(especially relevant to the conversation from 7:30 on)

That's why it's important to not let the story be the main character, but the characters themselves. Between Avatar and Force Awakens only one managed to really do that.

Absolutely agree with your first point. I just thought avatar was a very good movie. Kinda surprised that it seems to not be well liked amongst this group.

I was going to read Aftermath but as you mentioned the reviews were terrible so I skipped it.

I'm planning to read some of the new cannon. Aftermath is on the list. I just have a feeling a lot of the stuff out right now will be vague since they aren't done with the movies and don't want to spoil anything that's to be revealed in them.

Entitled to your opinion but I will always disagree when someone calls a best-picture nominee a bad movie, even if it didn't resonate with me.

I'll drop it now to not derail the thread.

And so are you, no gripe from me.

But man, the Oscars are your standard?? The Oscars rarely acknowledge anything with the slightest bit of originality or talent behind it.

Half the nominees are just the big wigs Dutch-ruddering each other

And so are you, no gripe from me.

But man, the Oscars are your standard?? The Oscars rarely acknowledge anything with the slightest bit of originality or talent behind it.

Half the nominees are just the big wigs Dutch-ruddering each other

The Oscars are a pretty terrible standard for sure.

Here's a great comment from yesterday detailing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/426kco/oscars_charlotte_rampling_says_call_for_diversity/cz8b412

I don't think that every great movie gets nominated for a best picture Oscar (not even close) but if something does, I believe it is at least a pretty good movie.

Although the "nominated" accolade has been watered down with the 10 nominees, but Avatar was really close to winning that year. I think most people were surprised that Hurt Locker took it.

I don't think that every great movie gets nominated for a best picture Oscar (not even close) but if something does, I believe it is at least a pretty good movie.

Although the "nominated" accolade has been watered down with the 10 nominees, but Avatar was really close to winning that year. I think most people were surprised that Hurt Locker took it.

I'm not trying to argue here (honestly), but I haven't even seen Hurt Locker and I know it's a better movie than Avatar.

What about Avatar do you think did better than any other movie that year other than visuals?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Plasticbook from Amazon is cheaper if you don't care about materials: Star Wars: The Force Awakens [blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FK66TU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_0Pp2wbWY8X6W9

• 1 month later...

If you are into digital media and don't torrent things, I just bought the Steelbook and have a digital download to give away. Just message me. I also have ones for all of Breaking Bad, Back to the Future 1-3 and probably way more that I will never use.

Edit: it went to Psus2h