Do you buy less than perfect vinyl?

40016a

Hi first post here as I usually just post on the various Facebook groups about vinyl collecting. I have a question to ask. If you are at a yard sale or goodwill or somewhere along thse lines and you see, for example, Janis Joplin Pearl but it has one steady scratch though the record (from where the stylus slipped) do you buy that record? I mean it is only 99 cents. What boundaries do you have if you will buy vinyl with scratches. 

Hi first post here as I usually just post on the various Facebook groups about vinyl collecting. I have a question to ask. If you are at a yard sale or goodwill or somewhere along thse lines and you see, for example, Janis Joplin Pearl but it has one steady scratch though the record (from where the stylus slipped) do you buy that record? I mean it is only 99 cents. What boundaries do you have if you will buy vinyl with scratches. 

I wouldn't buy it if you plan on listening to it.

totally depends on the record and what I plan on doing with it.. like If i am going to melt it and make a candy bowl.. then i'll probably drop a buck on a janis joplin.. if I want to listen to it.. and enjoy it, i'll wait for a nm copy.

im weird like that though...

oh and if im buying "childrens records" for the little dude, I'll be a little bit more open to scratches..

see.. i bought a copy of becks midnite vultures that had a couple small marks on it.. like a vg+.  played great for the most part with a copule clicks and pops.  my local had it for $70canadian.   bought it with plans to hold out for a clean copy, ended up selling it for more than i paid and put that $$$ towards a nm copy.

if its a big deep scratch that will skip or be potentially damaging to my stylus, i'll pass.  if its a cool record with some little marks that probably wont be noticeable, and the price is right.  i might grab it.

totally depends on the record and its purpose.

I'm alright with a scuff or two here and there, but to me a scratched record is worthless and not something I'm going to risk damaging my valuable stylus over.  I always bring a mini flashlight with me when I go record shopping to make sure that a record that looks minty in the dim lighting of a record store isn't actually a scratched mess.

i just bought a record with a crack in it but then again its one of my favorite records and i dont plan on listening to it i just wanted to own it

If you buy a cracked record you can't play just to say you own it... Do you still own that record?

I think it's cheap enough, playable, listenable and I want to listen to it, then go for it.

I buy broken records all the time, just to give them a home. They were once part is someone else's life, privy to their hopes and dreams, playing while they conceived their children. It's beautiful really. My latest purchase was a shattered copy of this rarity...

61qWa2-Kw8L._SX522_.jpg

I try not to pay more than $5 for them. I'm not an idiot.