HELP! Sharpie on vinyl

luneki

Vector53, on 10 Nov 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:snapback.png

This also makes me ask: Why didn't you offer him the sleeve? A sig usually looks way better on a sleeve than it does on a label on the record.

Exactly. I never even heard of signing a label until this thread, I bet it looks awful.

this response totally doesn't belong here, but the ONE time I actually cared enough to get a record autographed, the duo, both, signed it really small on the backside down by the barcode at the bottom!  WTH!? 

I thought it was common knowledge you scribbled your name really big and illegibly across the front cover, maybe a generic message to stay cool or rock on <<--- that part applies to this thread

Question: do you have this sharpie?

If yes do a test. Try isopropyl alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover should do) on some surface and check if those remove it. You should use extensive amount to "wash" signed part of record. Paint is in the grooves. This may work but there is high risk that some residues of paint will stay in grooves and affect sound.

If you make anything with it please share your expirience.

as the title says.

I went to a concert, saw this guy I like very much, gave him a vinyl (which is a special edition of only 500 produced worldwide) for him to sign it. Never in my life thought someone would lack the common sense to sign it on the label, instead he signed the actual vinyl with sharpie! (Btw, being a special edition the vinyl is pink colored)

I already tried taking as much off with some mild detergent soap but it's still there, is there anything else I can try? This is a special edition I don't want it to be ruined forever! Please there must be something I can do, even if it means like playing it on repeat so all the gunk goes on the needle I don't care, turntables are expendable, this vinyl is not!

What do I do?'

all he has to do is use either cologne on a microfiber cloth or use a dry erase marker, draw over the autograph and wipe off (no im not crazy, it is a common way of erasing sharpie)  also, what is the big deal, I have many coloured vinyl signed on the vinyl part, I prefer it, the record still plays exactly the same.

Note to self, do not buy records from this individual.

lol I only get stuff signed that is in the personal collection, just like the op, takes alot for me to get something signed, I have to really be a fan.  Also I will only get vinyl signed if I have two copies of it, I like the vinyl signed because it looks better framed.

Question: do you have this sharpie?

If yes do a test. Try isopropyl alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover should do) on some surface and check if those remove it. You should use extensive amount to "wash" signed part of record. Paint is in the grooves. This may work but there is high risk that some residues of paint will stay in grooves and affect sound.

If you make anything with it please share your expirience.

If they still have the sharpie, sell it on eBay. Because it's obviously a very rare piece of music history now that it's touched a special edition limited vinyl of only 500 pink specialz editions world wide!!!!

lol I only get stuff signed that is in the personal collection, just like the op, takes alot for me to get something signed, I have to really be a fan.  Also I will only get vinyl signed if I have two copies of it, I like the vinyl signed because it looks better framed.

I only get things signed that belong to other people.