Question: formerly ultra-collectible bands whose stuff isn't nearly as popular anymore?

So the other day I was thinking about bands that were once popular among record collectors that have fallen out of favor. I don’t mean one-hit wonder bands, I mean bands that had a large body of work and whose releases were once really hot and commanded premiums on the secondary market but can now be found very easily for much less than they were going for then.

In my mind, the poster child for this is Garbage. For those that can recall, there was a short period of time in the late 90s when they were arguably the most “collectible” band around and many of their singles - whose special sleeves and individualyl numbered were record collector catnip at a time when vinyl wasn’t at all in vogue - were fetching over a hundred dollars. Now a quick search online reveals that even their rarest singles can be had for under $30.

Another more recent example is The Libertines/Babyshambles; while still in demand, their stuff doesn’t fetch nearly as much on places like eBay as it did ten years ago. Or going a little further back, I remember a time when promo stuff from Oasis was like gold and now can be had for a fraction of the price.

So what these bands have in common: not one hit wonders and not totally fallen off the face of the Earth. People are still willing to buy their stuff, just for a lot less than they used to. Anyone care to share some examples they can think of?

Or going a little further back, I remember a time when promo stuff from Oasis was like gold and now can be had for a fraction of the price.

Funny, I saw the title of this thread and Oasis was the first band that came to mind. BUT.... the vinyl actually still sells fairly well... it's the rest of their promo stuff (CD's, etc) that has really dropped off a cliff. Yes, overall they are down in value, but some stuff still is retaining value.

I think once enough time passed people started to realize that anything past Be Here Now (or The Masterplan B-side album) was really just sh*t music. Their original stuff still sells well, but anything they did after 1998 is where the price drops really are.

I run oasiscollectors.com by the way, just so you know I'm not just BS'ing my way through a post. :)

I remember 10-12 years ago when the "New Weird America" scene was going strong, a lot of the stuff from No-Neck Blues Band, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Six Organs of Admittance, Charalambides, etc. was fetching crazy prices. Even though some of those releases were super limited and really nicely put together, now that the hype has died off, you can find most of them for a fraction of the old prices.

Funny, I saw the title of this thread and Oasis was the first band that came to mind. BUT.... the vinyl actually still sells fairly well... it's the rest of their promo stuff (CD's, etc) that has really dropped off a cliff. Yes, overall they are down in value, but some stuff still is retaining value.

Yes, there's a very obvious distinction between their vinyl and CD releases. Part of that has to be due to the plain fact that vinyl has become hot and CDs are stale; that's probably true for almost any band, popular or not.

I don't know how many people I know who've sold off their CD collections in the past few years to some random record store or on Craigslist and gotten a quarter a disc or something, when a decade ago they would have gotten ten times that...

Gaslight Anthem? I list colored 7"s from them at less then cost prices on eBay and can't get rid of them. Also are people still losing their shit over Title Fight? I remember their colored records were being flipped for pretty wild amounts a couple years ago, seems like they're never really talked about much here these days.

I remember 10-12 years ago when the "New Weird America" scene was going strong, a lot of the stuff from No-Neck Blues Band, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Six Organs of Admittance, Charalambides, etc. was fetching crazy prices. Even though some of those releases were super limited and really nicely put together, now that the hype has died off, you can find most of them for a fraction of the old prices.

One of my local shops had a dollar bin sale and had a ton of stuff in this realm there.  the guy said its just hard to sell the rare stuff anymore for the old fetching prices.  people arent dropping 50 let alone 20 bucks on these and he just wanted to clear out some room.  so I helped...

Boris stuff was ridiculous for a while. I think they just put out way too much stuff and too many less than stellar releases.

Blank Dogs, the Muslims, Red Sparowes, Jay Reatard.

Has Boris stuff really gone down in value? I haven't been keeping track but I feel when I see something pop up on Discogs or wherever the prices are still pretty high.

Muslims is a great example - I remember their first releases being so hard to get, now they're everywhere and no one wants 'em.

Some other flavor of the week type bands:

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Les Savy Fav

The Vines

The Bravery

I feel like Jon Spencer Blues Explosion stuff was hot as hell at one time, now it's everywhere. Same with Rocket From the Crypt.

Has Boris stuff really gone down in value? I haven't been keeping track but I feel when I see something pop up on Discogs or wherever the prices are still pretty high.

Boris stuff is still expensive as shit if you want some of the earlier releases. "The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked 1" still goes for $75+. I just need the 3rd volume and that stupid box set will finally be complete...

not ultra collective but title fight prices seem to have gone down from the insanity they were for awhile

last 3 shed record releases I've seen on ebay have all sold for below $100

True, sadly the older singles, didn't drop nearly that much.

A lot of early and mid 2000's hardcore bands, would release a 7" with a special record elease sleeve and the next few days they would go for 100+ dollars. I bailed on those, but I managed to get quite a few recently for 99 cents.

Another funny example is the Floorpunch 7" on gold (limited to 88 copies) would sell around for 100-150 dollars around 2000 and fetches 1500-1700 dollars nowadays. The Ten Yard Fight 7" on white (limited to 100 copies) would sell for 100-150 dollars around 2000 and fetches 20-30 dollars nowadays.

Boris stuff is still expensive as shit if you want some of the earlier releases. "The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked 1" still goes for $75+. I just need the 3rd volume and that stupid box set will finally be complete...

Sold Solomon 1 for over USD 200 a couple of years back. Still have 2 and 3 and clear green. 

I had the og Pink japanese pressing and let it go for about 100 euro. 

Before they split and re-issues I used to see some Ween vinyl, especially The Mollusk, at outrageous ($300) prices and they would get snapped up as soon as they went on sale. Even their self released live CD from Stubbs in Texas was once worth plenty. I got a copy of both for under $30 recently. 

They are a good example of one of those bands people (used to) get rabid with the collecting...like on a Grateful Dead level.

Some Mars Volta can get pricey too, but I've noticed them coming down lately. Re issues again I suppose, for those that don't need a first pressing.

The screamo market is one that collapsed a while back in a big way.

That's the first one I thought of. Saetia, You And I, Indian Summer, Evergreen, Ordination Of Aaron, etc. — basically anything that was super-popular on Skylab Commerce back in the day now has virtually no value.

The screamo market is one that collapsed a while back in a big way.

I unloaded a bunch of my late 90s early 2000s hardcore/screamo/punk stuff like a year ago or so. I never really put much into it at initial purchase but it just bubbled and burst very quick on prices. Most of the 7" i bought for 3-5 bucks and sold for around there. Sold them a few years ago maybe would have fetched 10-20. Oh well.

I unloaded a bunch of my late 90s early 2000s hardcore/screamo/punk stuff like a year ago or so. I never really put much into it at initial purchase but it just bubbled and burst very quick on prices. Most of the 7" i bought for 3-5 bucks and sold for around there. Sold them a few years ago maybe would have fetched 10-20. Oh well.

I sold a lot of that stuff at the height of its value which was pretty awesome. Somehow though just this year I sold the first two Saetia 7"s for a mint (got them for $3 a piece at Jerry's Records years ago). 

Gaslight Anthem? I list colored 7"s from them at less then cost prices on eBay and can't get rid of them. Also are people still losing their shit over Title Fight? I remember their colored records were being flipped for pretty wild amounts a couple years ago, seems like they're never really talked about much here these days.

My brother-in-law has a complete Gaslight Anthem variant collection.  I tried to convince him to sell it a couple years back, it probably could have covered a good portion of his tuition.  Now if he liquidated he could get a really fancy dinner out of it.