Question: formerly ultra-collectible bands whose stuff isn't nearly as popular anymore?

I sold a lot of that stuff at the height of its value which was pretty awesome. Somehow though just this year I sold the first two Saetia 7"s for a mint (got them for $3 a piece at Jerry's Records years ago).

That is pretty awesome. I bought a ton of that realm of stuff at jerrys because he made all of it pretty fair in price and no other store was really selling it.

ISIS

Well, Isis prices were silly from day one since most of their record were kept in print constantly with represses coming out like every other year.

But yeah, if you could fetch me a nice copy of Sawblade for under $100...

How's the nowadays market for the original presses of Mr Bungle records after the recent re-releases?

I remember seeing outrages prices for both the S/T and Disco Volante back when I started using eBay in '99/'00.

Thank god I had the OG presses for both otherwise I'd had would have shelled some serious coin for those.

That's the first one I thought of. Saetia, You And I, Indian Summer, Evergreen, Ordination Of Aaron, etc. — basically anything that was super-popular on Skylab Commerce back in the day now has virtually no value.

I disagree on Saetia. I passed on the chance to buy their self titled LP for $50 back in 2008 and now they sell for like $150. I never see one of their 7"s go for less than $40-60 either.

As mentioned, anything on CD has died as the format does.

Someone's mentioned represses cooling off the vinyl market, and it's true, even in pressings that have not been repressed. Five years ago I'd pay big bucks on the used market for high value releases. Now I know that if I'm patient enough 8/10 things on my want list will be repressed eventually. And those 2/10 things likely won't be any more expensive than they are now.

As mentioned, anything on CD has died as the format does.

Someone's mentioned represses cooling off the vinyl market, and it's true, even in pressings that have not been repressed. Five years ago I'd pay big bucks on the used market for high value releases. Now I know that if I'm patient enough 8/10 things on my want list will be repressed eventually. And those 2/10 things likely won't be any more expensive than they are now.

Simple Beck-onomics! 

• 3 years later...

I've got to revive this old thread and mention Fucked Up. I feel like ten-or-so years ago people were hunting down their singles left and right - now they release a new album and hardly anyone cares, and it feels like it's been that way for the past few albums...

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

The most stupid thing I've done on Discogs was pay 80 bucks a piece for two Wooden Shjips 7"s that are selling for pennies now :lol::rolleyes:. I've since learned a lot of lessons about not getting suckered by small bubbles like that.

They're a brilliant one I hadn't thought of - seems like a lot of those psych bands go in and out of favor in less than a year. 

1 minute ago, unknown pleasures said:

They're a brilliant one I hadn't thought of - seems like a lot of those psych bands go in and out of favor in less than a year. 

I pretty much gave up on them as a band too until I saw them live earlier this year for free. They're greater than ever, and I love the shoegaze-y production of the most recent LP.

16 hours ago, museummouth said:

all pop punk bands?

I just sold the Knuckle Puck/Neck Deep 7" this year for a pretty penny. 

23 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

I've got to revive this old thread and mention Fucked Up. I feel like ten-or-so years ago people were hunting down their singles left and right - now they release a new album and hardly anyone cares, and it feels like it's been that way for the past few albums...

Will have to disagree with this. I've heard tons of great things about this new record. Maybe not in a collectors aspect, which I feel they've intentionally lost of the last few years, and is awesome. But tons of people care. I'm very very much looking forward to buying it and being floored. 

25 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I just sold the Knuckle Puck/Neck Deep 7" this year for a pretty penny. 

Will have to disagree with this. I've heard tons of great things about this new record. Maybe not in a collectors aspect, which I feel they've intentionally lost of the last few years, and is awesome. But tons of people care. I'm very very much looking forward to buying it and being floored. 

Dude, that fucked up album is out of this world

On 11/23/2014 at 11:24 AM, kurtz said:

Yeah, Saetia records still go high.

The rest of that stuff has definitely dropped out. I bought an Indian Summer 7" for 6 bucks recently.

That first Indian Summer 7” is great. So glad I picked that up for a few bucks back in the day! 

Never saw that clear 12-inch version, though.

Might have to “double dip” if the price is right. ;)