Question: formerly ultra-collectible bands whose stuff isn't nearly as popular anymore?

Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek. Sure some of his old releases still sell for a ton but a lot of his stuff has drastically dropped in price/popularity and his new records are always widely available for cheap probably because most of his older fans don't care anymore

I was thinking of this last night and while it’s not really this site’s target audience, I read recently that there’s a huge glut of Elvis Presley records and no one wants them anymore.

Apparently, before the vinyl renaissance his releases (along with The Beatles) were the de facto “Hey, I found these in the attic - it’s Elvis so they must be worth a million dollars!” type records, but between so many of his fans aging/dying off and the general abundance out there (his stuff was issued and repackaged and reissued thousands of times) no one cares anymore and any antique store you go to has a shelf of Elvis records no one is ever going to buy. 

15 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

I was thinking of this last night and while it’s not really this site’s target audience, I read recently that there’s a huge glut of Elvis Presley records and no one wants them anymore.

Apparently, before the vinyl renaissance his releases (along with The Beatles) were the de facto “Hey, I found these in the attic - it’s Elvis so they must be worth a million dollars!” type records, but between so many of his fans aging/dying off and the general abundance out there (his stuff was issued and repackaged and reissued thousands of times) no one cares anymore and any antique store you go to has a shelf of Elvis records no one is ever going to buy. 

Yep. All it takes is one newspaper article about the rarest variant of a Beatles LP selling for thousands and people assume theirs is worth a fortune. The fact that the one sold is the mono edition, first press and theirs is the million pressed reissue is just beyond them.