Skateboarding/Skateboard Collecting

piky0032

8 minutes ago, anthemforadoomed said:

Check Krooked, Politic, Toy Machine, Magenta, Hopps, Paisley. All have excellent graphics.

I have a Krooked on the wall, and obviously know what all those companies are. I forget to mention that I skate shaped boards, so I don't really pay any attention to graphic. For the last few years I've been skating a $lave War Pig. It's fuckin' gnarly. 

13 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I have a Krooked on the wall, and obviously know what all those companies are. I forget to mention that I skate shaped boards, so I don't really pay any attention to graphic. For the last few years I've been skating a $lave War Pig. It's fuckin' gnarly. 

Oh shit sorry! I just kind of randomly wrote that without putting much thought into it, sorry I'm kind of scatterbrained tonight.

That's great! I'm glad to hear you're skating a $lave. They're the best company and don't get enough love.

6 hours ago, mappingtheyears said:

I've been in love with Quasi boards for the last year or so. Their 8.375" shape is perfect for me. I'm a big fan of their art direction too.

I'm not real into the current trend in graphics, mainly the Quasi, Polar, FA type shit. I just think skateboarding is in the middle of some ugly trends, similar to the early 90s. Fuckin' highwater pants and little boy haircuts can go to hell. 

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM, throughbeingcruel said:

I'm not real into the current trend in graphics, mainly the Quasi, Polar, FA type shit. I just think skateboarding is in the middle of some ugly trends, similar to the early 90s. Fuckin' highwater pants and little boy haircuts can go to hell. 

I kind of agree .............but im stoked to see heaps of skateboarders at skateparks.....as apose to scooters and junkies

Edit: for some reason i got the quoting really wrong

Edited by piky0032

28 minutes ago, piky0032 said:

I kind of agree .............but im stoked to see heaps of skateboarders at skateparks.....as apose to scooters and junkies

Edit: for some reason i got the quoting really wrong

I still don't see anyone new at my local park haha. It sucks, but I live in a shithole so it's to be expected. 

• 6 months later...

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I'm stoked for all the Mullen hype. I've met Rodney about 5 times now and he is seriously the most sincere person. 

I've really been digging Welcome graphics here lately.

I need to post a pic of my collection on here when I have more time. I've got an old Muska Silhouette deck still hanging on my wall.

2 minutes ago, piky0032 said:

I would kill for a Muska Silhouette.....such an iconic deck

I changed some decks around.....This is where my Signed Mullens stand now.....there are 2 or 3 tucked away in the cupboard....sort of running short on space....all Hand Signed

20170210_071625_zpslkvoc5oo.png

I had a Muska deck as a kid, but snapped it in half doing a kickflip off a ledge. I was super bummed, since I had to pay a lot for it. I'm insanely jealous of those signed Rodney Mullen decks.

4 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I had a Muska deck as a kid, but snapped it in half doing a kickflip off a ledge. I was super bummed, since I had to pay a lot for it. I'm insanely jealous of those signed Rodney Mullen decks.

That's why you always get local shop boards. They are cheaper, and honestly usually are better cause a lot of the major board brands have their decks sitting in warehouses for a good while - lose their pop. I wish I would have known that as a kid. Wasted too much money on major brand decks. Oh well. I'm just glad to see bigger sizes becoming the norm. I remember riding a 8.25" and everyone thinking I was crazy. I could never see how 7.5-7.75" was normal. Haha.

My first deck was this beauty...

birdhouse_hawk_bluehawk778.jpg

But I honestly miss my Jamie Thomas smith grind board the most. Apparently they re - made them, but I don't want to pay $50 for a deck. Haha.

14 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

That's why you always get local shop boards. They are cheaper, and honestly usually are better cause a lot of the major board brands have their decks sitting in warehouses for a good while - lose their pop. I wish I would have known that as a kid. Wasted too much money on major brand decks. Oh well. I'm just glad to see bigger sizes becoming the norm. I remember riding a 8.25" and everyone thinking I was crazy. I could never see how 7.5-7.75" was normal. Haha.

My first deck was this beauty...

birdhouse_hawk_bluehawk778.jpg

But I honestly miss my Jamie Thomas smith grind board the most. Apparently they re - made them, but I don't want to pay $50 for a deck. Haha.

It was bought at a local shop, the only one in town at the time. I ended up with a CCS blank after, that I still have.

I think my Muska was 8.25". It was the orange one. I always liked wider decks too.

Edited by Thomas³

Supporting skateboarding by buying real brands is super important. Your shop wants you to buy the bigger brands, trust me. I still skate, collect boards, and support the shit out of my local shop. In the end, buying anything from a local shop is the main priority, but buying bigger brands ensures that you're spreading money to all the tiny moving parts that is the skateboard industry. I was pretty devastated when Alien Workshop/Habitat closed shop and I'd like to keep shit like that from happening as much as I can. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Supporting skateboarding by buying real brands is super important. Your shop wants you to buy the bigger brands, trust me. I still skate, collect boards, and support the shit out of my local shop. In the end, buying anything from a local shop is the main priority, but buying bigger brands ensures that you're spreading money to all the tiny moving parts that is the skateboard industry. I was pretty devastated when Alien Workshop/Habitat closed shop and I'd like to keep shit like that from happening as much as I can. 

Oh for sure. The only thing my local shop had of their own were decks. So I'd buy a fresh deck from them, get me some Bones Red (always), Indy trucks, and forever Ricta wheels. I'm all about supporting all companies in skating when I can. But if I can buy a deck that's just as good for half the price, I'm gonna do it. Especially when you need to replace decks pretty often.  But every once in a while I'd buy a pro deck if I was feeling extra cool that day. Haha. But as a kid dropping $50-60 on a deck was pretty rough sometimes. 

37 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Oh for sure. The only thing my local shop had of their own were decks. So I'd buy a fresh deck from them, get me some Bones Red (always), Indy trucks, and forever Ricta wheels. I'm all about supporting all companies in skating when I can. But if I can buy a deck that's just as good for half the price, I'm gonna do it. Especially when you need to replace decks pretty often.  But every once in a while I'd buy a pro deck if I was feeling extra cool that day. Haha. But as a kid dropping $50-60 on a deck was pretty rough sometimes. 

I feel you man. Boards aren't cheap. I saw three shops close in the first 8 or so years of skating, so I've never taken that shit for granted. I had gotten close enough to all the owners to know what made them the most money. Shoes and shirts are the money makers, boards and shit are necessity. 

If we're busting out setups, I've always rocked Indy's, Spitfires, and Bones Swiss. For the past couple years, I've been riding these $lave decks called War Pigs, they're like 9.5 inches wide and I have to splice the grip haha. That deck with some 60mm Spits and Swissies is the perfect shit. 

I always use to run Ventures and Lucky7s as a kid......7.75 decks....cheapest wheels

Started skating again a couple of years ago and grabbed some Andy Reynolds Indys.....wish i had always skated them....light as and so durable. Running an 8.1 now as well....should have done that from the get go as well

1 hour ago, piky0032 said:

I always use to run Ventures and Lucky7s as a kid......7.75 decks....cheapest wheels

Started skating again a couple of years ago and grabbed some Andy Reynolds Indys.....wish i had always skated them....light as and so durable. Running an 8.1 now as well....should have done that from the get go as well

They didn't make Indy's that light back in the day, trust me haha. I've been skating them for 15 years and can't believe how different they are now. I thought Ventures had the worst hanger design on earth. How did you mount them with that huge hanger blocking the holes? Haha

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

They didn't make Indy's that light back in the day, trust me haha. I've been skating them for 15 years and can't believe how different they are now. I thought Ventures had the worst hanger design on earth. How did you mount them with that huge hanger blocking the holes? Haha

I do actually recall snapping ventures on 2 occasions just doing stair sets......they werent the strongest trucks going.

Really need to get back on it some more......deck is always in the car but i just run outta time. I have a small shitty skatepark at the end of my street....but its pretty shit

3 minutes ago, piky0032 said:

I do actually recall snapping ventures on 2 occasions just doing stair sets......they werent the strongest trucks going.

Really need to get back on it some more......deck is always in the car but i just run outta time. I have a small shitty skatepark at the end of my street....but its pretty shit

There's no way it's worse than mine haha. Actual worst skatepark in North America.

QP3kXjS.jpg

Just now, piky0032 said:

Hahaha yeh its pretty even......hows that halfpipe? Something i really wish we had......something small and fun to skate

It's five feet tall and eight feet wide, so terrible haha. No room to do anything but stalls really. We have a 3.5 ft quarter pipe that has the perfect transition though. All I skate is that and the flat bar, which is also pretty perfect. The pavement is blacktop though, so rough and shitty. It's one of those parks that only locals can enjoy. My friends and I straight fuck it up, but our friends from other towns who are much better than us can't do shit there.