PO: Cliff Martinez Soundtracks - The Knick & My Life...

grant

The Knick is the new exciting TV series by writer/director Steven Soderbergh (HBO's Behind the Candelabra, Side Effects...). Cinemax is to premiere The Knick on August 8. Starring Clive Owen and set in New York 1900, the show centers on Knickerbocker Hospital and the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses and staff, who push the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics. The soundtrack features a fantastic score by acclaimed composer Cliff Martinez (Drive, Springbreakers, Only God Forgives, Solaris).

The acclaimed soundtrack to The Knick by Cliff Martinez is finally coming to vinyl. This double 180gm LP presented on a heavyweight gatefold is limited to 2,000 units. The whole artwork has been designed by artist Kilian Eng. This vinyl release features additional music by Cliff Martinez not available on CD and digital - download card included!

Amazon - $30 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCK8N1Q/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00PCK8N1Q&linkCode=as2&tag=kersjour-20&linkId=54BC3Y5KBOPBPITQ

HBO store - $30 - http://store.hbo.com/the-knick-cinemax-original-series-soundtrack-vinyl/detail.php?p=723069

Coming soon from Cliff also - "My Life Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn" is a documentary about writer / director Nicolas Winding Refn ("Drive", "Only God Forgives") directed by his wife Liv Corfixen. The filmmaker documented the making of "Only God Forgives" in Bangkok. The soundtrack features a score by Cliff Martinez (Drive, Only God Forgives) and the pop song "Disconnected by Julian Winding. Radius will premiere the film at the prestigious Fantastic Fest and will foliow with a digital/VOD release in the Winter of 2014/2015. 

Will be on clear vinyl out January 6.

Thanks for info! Man why are his albums always so expensive? Solaris and that God soundtrack are at least $35 for a standard LP nothing special?

The Knick seems more appropriate considering the double 180 and gate... That show is fucking brilliant one of my favorite new shows! Hope it sticks around for long time, and the music is Cliffs best yet!!!

I'm all in on the Knick soundtrack.  Great show and I remember hearing the music for the first time and I was like what the fuck is this awesome shit?!  Nice how they mix that cool ass minimalist electronic music into a olde tyme show about a hospital with its fair share of junkie doctors, unscrupulous ambulance drivers and an x-ray machine that only requires you to be exposed to it for a single hour in order to get an image of your skull.

I'm glad Cinemax is doing guilty pleasure shows like this and Banshee and not trying to make critical darlings like HBO.

I pre-ordered from the label a week ago. Just another option for anyone interested. It came to $32 shipped, a little better than HBO:

http://store.milanrecords.com/music/vinyl/the-knick.html

Also, 14 additional tracks on this double LP! Plus I got a digital download of the standard sdtrk at checkout.

**edit: I think these are picture discs...I'm hoping not, but can anyone confirm? Looks like it from the images at HBO's online store. :¬(

I pre-ordered from the label a week ago. Just another option for anyone interested. It came to $32 shipped, a little better than HBO:

http://store.milanrecords.com/music/vinyl/the-knick.html

Also, 14 additional tracks on this double LP! Plus I got a digital download of the standard sdtrk at checkout.

**edit: I think these are picture discs...I'm hoping not, but can anyone confirm? Looks like it from the images at HBO's online store. :¬(

Judging from the photos you posted, those swwm to be the middle labels. On the top you will see Stock: White refering to the paper and CMYK for the printing process. Also the way the 1,2,3,4 are placed dont seem right for a picture disk. with the well designed cover and layout it wouldnt make sense for picture discs to be so poorly done

• 4 weeks later...

Judging from the photos you posted, those swwm to be the middle labels. On the top you will see Stock: White refering to the paper and CMYK for the printing process. Also the way the 1,2,3,4 are placed dont seem right for a picture disk. with the well designed cover and layout it wouldnt make sense for picture discs to be so poorly done

You're right. I emailed them and they confirmed this is pressed on black vinyl. That said, picture discs are paper compressed with vinyl and a clear "laminate", so picture discs will most likely be printed on white stock with a cmyk process. Looking at those images again, it would look awfully ugly to put that text in the picture disc...so I agree it wouldn't have made much sense. The idea that these discs would be picture discs freaked me out though. I want to be able to listen to these tracks.

My copy is out for delivery right now. I'll have it tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like there is going to be another variant of Drive, on Clear Vinyl and limited to 500 copies. Only available through indie records stores who have accounts with URP. They posted it on their facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/urpmd/posts/10152566587370846:0

In stores March 3rd

Hopefully a list of those stores pops up.

• 2 weeks later...

Does every Cliff Martinez soundtrack come in a picture disc? I swear I saw a picture disc of Solaris at a record store once. The music in The Knick was GREAT and I would like to own it but for the price and picture disc, I don't know if I can pull the trigger. 

Regardless of that, I am excited to see My Life Directed By...

Does every Cliff Martinez soundtrack come in a picture disc? I swear I saw a picture disc of Solaris at a record store once. The music in The Knick was GREAT and I would like to own it but for the price and picture disc, I don't know if I can pull the trigger. 

Regardless of that, I am excited to see My Life Directed By...

Where's my record man I messaged you 6 days ago telling you the tracking number you gave me was for sometthing that got delivered in Texas and I live in new york and yet you sign on everyday and you can't respond to one of your customers after 6 days? I thought you were gonna do things differently after you didn't respond to any of my messages for 2 weeks after I paid you for a record. 2 more days and it will have been one month and I have no record to show for it. Have some respect and just explain to your customer what the issue is instead of ignoring them.

Where's my record man I messaged you 6 days ago telling you the tracking number you gave me was for sometthing that got delivered in Texas and I live in new york and yet you sign on everyday and you can't respond to one of your customers after 6 days? I thought you were gonna do things differently after you didn't respond to any of my messages for 2 weeks after I paid you for a record. 2 more days and it will have been one month and I have no record to show for it. Have some respect and just explain to your customer what the issue is instead of ignoring them.

This is not the place for this.

^^ Ya man I know you feel wronged but defiantly not the way to go about it...File a paypal claim! That will get his attention at least and its about all you can do from a buyer stand point....(if you feel its reached that point) 

On another note, Yea I think the majority of Cliffs stuff gets a PIC DISC treatment, although don't believe that GOD FORGIVES movie got one....

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else bought this? I finally got around to playing it and it is noisy as hell. Crackles like mad throughout the entire first side. I haven't played any other sides yet. Wanted to ask to see if anyone else has the same issue. (it's not static or grit...it's sparkling clean, and other records by comparison aren't nearly this loud).

Thanks.

Has anyone else bought this? I finally got around to playing it and it is noisy as hell. Crackles like mad throughout the entire first side. I haven't played any other sides yet. Wanted to ask to see if anyone else has the same issue. (it's not static or grit...it's sparkling clean, and other records by comparison aren't nearly this loud).

Thanks.

Which soundtrack? This thread covers pretty much all Cliff Martinez st's- my The Knick sounds great, but not sure which you have