[SOON] Toundra – (IV) – 01/26

Derek™

• 3 weeks later...

Been out for a while.  What's the forum consensus so far???

I think it was cool (and sort of proggy) for them to take a gamble and go for a concept album, putting the Kitsune myth to music. (that Kitsune theme seems to be rather popular the past few years)

It's priced at $19.00 at Century Media for 2xLP + CD but before you get all lathered up, shipping option is only PRIORITY, no media mail: $11.25  :wacko:

http://www.cmdistro.com/toundra-iv-double-black-vinyl-cd.html

Should come with Prime Rib or room service for $11.25 :angry:

Only made my decision much easier tho'

• 3 weeks later...

People been listening to this? It's really strong in the middle (tracks 4-6). The trumpet and string part is so epic and can't help but remind me of sigur ros. The rest of the album seems just 'okay' but I'm only 2-3 listens in. Sometimes I just feel like they are one build up away from getting heavy and sludgy and I wanna lose my shit but then it never happens. I know that's not really them but personally once or twice in this album would substantially break it up and make it stronger.

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I've been meaning to get back to it with my first impressions.  After two listens, I'm surprisingly pretty sold.  There aren't really any moments that stand out enough for me to drop what I'm doing to check and see what the song is called, but I think it consistently delivers.  There isn't really a "dry stretch" where something interesting or gorgeous isn't gracing my ears, and I do admire that.  Is it as strong as (II) or (III)?  Eh.  That's still to be decided for me.  But as it stands, I think I'd definitely love to own it at some point.  The fact that there are no limited variants to pursue makes it nice to put on the back-burner, but... damn.  That gatefold and art seems like such a waste without some vibrant wax to accompany it.

[edit]

As an aside – great vinyl library, Davepriz.  I know I've seen you on the boards before, and I'm almost positive I've checked out your collection before... but you've got one of the nicer, more well-rounded collections I've seen here at VC.  I feel like we could be musical BFFs.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/11/2015 at 1:20 AM, davepriz said:

People been listening to this? It's really strong in the middle (tracks 4-6). The trumpet and string part is so epic and can't help but remind me of sigur ros. The rest of the album seems just 'okay' but I'm only 2-3 listens in. Sometimes I just feel like they are one build up away from getting heavy and sludgy and I wanna lose my shit but then it never happens. I know that's not really them but personally once or twice in this album would substantially break it up and make it stronger.

On 2/11/2015 at 1:32 AM, Derek™ said:

As an aside – great vinyl library, Davepriz.  I know I've seen you on the boards before, and I'm almost positive I've checked out your collection before... but you've got one of the nicer, more well-rounded collections I've seen here at VC.  I feel like we could be musical BFFs.

Never pulled the trigger on this.

And agreed, super collection @davepriz   - just need to get a token King Crimson album for continuity, and you're all set ;)

On 2/10/2015 at 10:32 PM, Derek™ said:

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I've been meaning to get back to it with my first impressions.  After two listens, I'm surprisingly pretty sold.  There aren't really any moments that stand out enough for me to drop what I'm doing to check and see what the song is called, but I think it consistently delivers.  There isn't really a "dry stretch" where something interesting or gorgeous isn't gracing my ears, and I do admire that.  Is it as strong as (II) or (III)?  Eh.  That's still to be decided for me.  But as it stands, I think I'd definitely love to own it at some point.  The fact that there are no limited variants to pursue makes it nice to put on the back-burner, but... damn.  That gatefold and art seems like such a waste without some vibrant wax to accompany it.

[edit]

Seeing this compliment like 3 years late haha. I also haven't updated my list since then but thanks man! Been a long time viewer and casual poster and always enjoy your involvement and presence here!