Really, really dumb situation

So I just got two copies of the Whirr/Nothing split in the mail, the 180 gram black and the starburst color. I clean every record before I play them, even new records, so I went to clean these two on my Record Doctor V vacuum cleaning machine. I had run out of fluid, so I went to grab another bottle that I got. The label said "place fluid directly onto record surface," so I thought it was simply another bottle of cleaning fluid. I put it on the record, noticing that it would not get sucked up entirely by the machine. I did this to both, still not thinking anything of it, just spun it a few more times to dry it up. I played both, and both had an unbearable surface noise and dug gunk up on my stylus after 15 seconds of play time. I called Audio Advisor up and they told me that they mislabeled the bottles and that I just put record cleaning concentrate straight onto my records, when usually you would mix it with a gallon of distilled water. So now, they told me on the phone to wash it with distilled water and it would get rid of it, but of course, after 3 cleans, it still hasn't. It has KIND OF made it a little better, but it's still terrible.

Does anybody have any last ideas to get this concentrate out of the grooves? I'll probably end up buying a completely new record, but to save myself from having to buy a third copy of this, I figured I would ask, though these records are probably fucked.

Yeah, I agree with both of what you guys said. I'll just continue to clean the records with water and hopefully over time it will come out. I should have asked for a refund on the phone, but the sales rep. sounded like a jerk and made it sound like it was my fault for not knowing it wasn't a bottle of the pre-mixed fluid.

I hate that sort of scenario.  You are the consumer, who purchased a product from a business, who is small enough to - I would imagine - give a shit about what happened.  Sounds like you got a douchebag associate, or whatever they call themselves.  Trevor, perhaps.  I'd try calling back and explaining your situation again.  

I've found that in situations like these it relies entirely on who you speak with.  If it were myself, I would at the very least try to get a new bottle of cleaner - and if you were confident that you couldn't fix your record - compensation for that.  

Again, speaking from my own experience, you did the right thing hanging up with that person.  It wouldn't get you anywhere.  Try calling back and speaking with someone else.   

I guess I'm just not straight-forward enough for people to help me out when it comes to things like that. The other day, I bought a soda from a gas station which was expired 3 months, so I brought it in and I said "Hey man, just so you know, all of your Mountain Dew is expired, I just bought this..." and he said "Aw, haha, sorry about that dude."

Run it under cold water in the sink for a while.  The labels should be fine as long as you don't scrub them.  When they dry, they should look normal again.

Whenever I clean a record, my first step is to run it under the faucet to get all the loose stuff off.  Then I scrub it with distilled water, enzyme cleaner and tergitol.  Then I rinse in the sink.  Then I submerge and rinse in distilled water and then pat dry and let it air dry the rest of the way.  After that, I put it through a vacuum RCM.  If that doesn't get it clean, the record is toast.  And the labels always look like they did when I started.

I wouldn't bother calling back. Send a detailed email of everything that has happened to their contact address and politely ask if they can resolve it to your satisfaction.

You'll be guaranteed that multiple people will see it, and it's much more like imo that you'll get taken care of.

I guess I'm just not straight-forward enough for people to help me out when it comes to things like that. The other day, I bought a soda from a gas station which was expired 3 months, so I brought it in and I said "Hey man, just so you know, all of your Mountain Dew is expired, I just bought this..." and he said "Aw, haha, sorry about that dude."

Audio Advisor are responsable for the problem, get them to compensate you , weinerdog has suggested the most effective meathod of achieving this. Most , but not all , record cleaning solutions contain silicon & detergent, detergent can be rinsed away with water eventually but not silicon. Signs of excess silicon are a wax-like clogging of the grooves , rapid buildup on the stylus & a shinier appearance to the vinyl. Retailers all over the world rely on the 80/20 rule - 80% of people don't complain ( no matter how bad the product or service is) 15% will complain but are easily put off by transferring the blame or ignoring them & 5% will not stand for it. To a volume seller, 5% is nothing & is already accounted for in the retail price.

What about using wood glue to peel away the gunk?  I am just throwing this out there, because a lot of people swear that it works.  I have never done it myself, but you might consider it as a last option if nothing else works, and you don't care about possibly losing the record.  I can't think of any reason the chemical would react negatively with the glue.

This guy gives some great tips on using it... http://120studio.com/vinylcleaning.htm

• 2 weeks later...

So Audio Advisor were actually really helpful after I fully explained the situation. They had me send over pictures of the mislabeled bottle and they are refunding me for the records. They were baffled as to how it happened and the guy told me to just keep washing them with distilled water, so I'll keep doing that.