best record shops in Southern California?

decade03

How has no one mentioned Factory Records in Costa Mesa? Dave a is a really solid guy who used to own noise noise noise, also left of the dial in Santa Ana may be worth some time, rockaway records in Hollywood is a bit overpriced but worth it for the promos and hard to find 90's LP's but prepare for premium pricing. Also I'm the guy that complained about port of sound pricing, it's my go to place for sleeves and I agree with the organization but if you have 10 copies of random access memories and any other popular title then don't sell them for close to twice market value, TKO records is a personal favorite of mine for a plethora of hard to find punk and metal titles and the shop is very clean, these are some real gems I'm dropping, do what you will with these :)

Was looking through to see if someone was going to mention Factory. Great tiny record store about the size of a walk-in closet, but well worth your time. I don't know how Dave comes up with his stock. Quality over quantity. If I still lived there I would go there every week.

TKO is also great. Definitely specializing in punk.

Vinyl Solution is pretty barren unfortunately. In the 90's I would go there all of the time.

Bagatelle's in Long Beach used to be really great. I would find tons of rare jazz and soul for great prices. Last time I was visiting it was a sad selection of common, overpriced records. Maybe I hit it on a bad month.

What's special about Tuesdays

Release day. Lots of stock hits the shelves Tuesday morning. 

Maybe it depends on what you're looking for. I've definitely scored some hard-to-find stuff at Amoeba for very reasonable prices, even some on clearance. I got a NM copy of Cibo Matto "Viva La Woman" for ~$10 a couple months ago, and there's not a copy on Discogs under $60 right now.

Totally. Broken Social Scene box for $30, Mark Kozelek White Christmas box for $40, Bright Eyes box for $50, Tallest Man OG Shallow Grave w/7" (before the repress) for $12 (!)

...the list could go on. Amoeba rules.

It's still just the one. 

I used to work at Lou's Records in Encinitas. They used to have a larger selection, but they've had to downsize a whole lot.

But there's some decently priced stuff if you dig for it. More new than used, but some offbeat used stuff. Also really really cheap cds and dvds. They've also got some laser discs, haha.

that's a bummer about the downsizing.  last time i was there, i wasn't sure if the move to just one trailer was temporary or not.  i'm just not in the area enough or for long enough to make the time to dig for anything these last few years.

How has no one mentioned Factory Records in Costa Mesa? Dave a is a really solid guy who used to own noise noise noise, also left of the dial in Santa Ana may be worth some time, rockaway records in Hollywood is a bit overpriced but worth it for the promos and hard to find 90's LP's but prepare for premium pricing. Also I'm the guy that complained about port of sound pricing, it's my go to place for sleeves and I agree with the organization but if you have 10 copies of random access memories and any other popular title then don't sell them for close to twice market value, TKO records is a personal favorite of mine for a plethora of hard to find punk and metal titles and the shop is very clean, these are some real gems I'm dropping, do what you will with these :)

i will have to give factory records a look.  it's located just 15 min from my house.

i think it probably just depends with port of sound.  some stuff, sure it was pricey and i didn't buy it, but i got 6 albums and a box set for $160 last time i as there.  everything i bought was either cheaper or the same as what i could've gotten online and it's a brick and mortar store so they have more costs associated with their business than someone selling records online so i didn't feel like it was terrible.

tko is also close by me.  i'll have to make the time to drop by one of these days.

I have a few local spots that are great.

Origami Vinyl, Echo Park - Los Angeles - Indie store. Not a very big store, but for my tastes it has a lot of what I want.  They have great bands play there in the loft and have a vinyl club every tuesday at the bar across the street. Just a great vinyl community.

Mono Records, Echo Park - Los Angeles - Punk/Hardcore record store with a good selection of used classic rock and jazz albums.

Permanent Records - Highland Park - Los Angeles - Garage Rock/lofi/Punk store. Apparently Ty Segall and Marc Maron hang out here.

Vacation Vinyl - Silver Lake - Los Angeles - Metal/Noise store. If you're into some loud crazy shit, this store is for you.

^ Ty works/helps out at Permanent when he's not on tour. I met him a few times while helping Liz and Lance (the owners) move from the York St location to the current location. They're great people and are always putting on performances inside the store with a bunch of awesome bands. 

I live right by Vacation and agree with the love. I've found a few nice used records there and the owner has always been super helpful and friendly. 

Origami is cool too and although I have yet to find anything that sparks my interest they always seem to have a handful of test pressings in the recent arrivals and used bins. 

that's a bummer about the downsizing.  last time i was there, i wasn't sure if the move to just one trailer was temporary or not.  i'm just not in the area enough or for long enough to make the time to dig for anything these last few years.

When I left around 2004, they had 3 buildings. The main store was for all-new items, there was a used store (Where I worked. Always got first pick of records before they went out, plus a 40% employee discount), and then there was an smaller area north of the used store just for DVD's and videos.

The main building is now a veterinary office, and everything was moved over to the used store. I wish I was down more often to support them. I stop by whenever I can to pick up something and catch up with Lou and the very few co-workers who are still there.

It's definitely a good dig spot, but it always bums me out going back to remember how large it used to be. As long as they're surviving, I'm stoked. I follow them on facebook, and they've always got some killer giveaways. Hopefully business is picking back up.

Loving this thread since I live in SoCal. North OC to be specific. I used to go to Bionic all the time when it was next to a skate shop. I've been to the new location a handful of times. Great dudes but haven't gone in lately. Port of Sound used to be great when it was a hole in the wall in an office area, the dude was super chill and always had great conversations with him. New location stinks and so does the prices and current owner. Always gives me a dirty look. I have to throw my recommendation to Amoeba. Yeah it can be overpriced on some stuff but I've bought a lot of great stuff there and got great deals on some things so I don't mind. If I lived closer I'd be there every week, but in a way I'm thankful. 

When I left around 2004, they had 3 buildings. The main store was for all-new items, there was a used store (Where I worked. Always got first pick of records before they went out, plus a 40% employee discount), and then there was an smaller area north of the used store just for DVD's and videos.

The main building is now a veterinary office, and everything was moved over to the used store. I wish I was down more often to support them. I stop by whenever I can to pick up something and catch up with Lou and the very few co-workers who are still there.

It's definitely a good dig spot, but it always bums me out going back to remember how large it used to be. As long as they're surviving, I'm stoked. I follow them on facebook, and they've always got some killer giveaways. Hopefully business is picking back up.

must've been really awesome when they were in 3 buildings.  the first time i went there was with an acquaintance in 2008.  i really liked it and went back a few times.  my father-in-law lives in carlsbad so i went a few more times after they downsized to the one trailer but the level of awesome had dropped by then.  i, too, hope business picks back up.  it would be nice if they could at least expand back to 2 trailers or a larger location.  i might drop by this weekend when i'm in town if i can find the time anyway.

My Favorites:
Amoeba (LA)-
Cause, come on. Look at that place. I also love their Berkeley and SF locations.
Rhino (Claremont)- This is my RSD spot. They're great at getting in most of the releases, everything is well put together. Decent staff and if you're there with people not into records they have other stuff for them to check out too. Also, I love the downtown Claremont area. Great for Sunday brunch, cruising around and hitting up the record store.
Left of the Dial (Santa Ana)- This isn't really a great place for hard to find albums or new releases (although they have do get that stuff in), but more so for picking up classic albums for really good prices. If you're trying to fill in a particular artist's back catalog, this is a good place to start. Also, they always have a Groupon available. $15 for $30 or $30 for $60 (used stuff only).
Black Hole Records (Fullerton)- A classic spot for punk vinyl in Downtown Fullerton. Be prepared to pay out the ass though. This place charges top dollar for everything. However, if you absolutely NEED a copy of Mike Ness' solo records or a signed X album or a first press Bad Religion S/T, you'll most likely find it.

Mr. C’s Records (orange)– In the Orange Circle in old town Orange. Been around for 40 years or something. Another spot that charges top dollar for albums. However, where you can really get some amazing finds is their ENOURMOUS selection of 45s. I’ve picked up a ton of singles from this place for pretty good prices. Last time I was in I found an original Carl Perkin’s Blue Suede Shoes single on Sun Records from 1954. Walked out with that plus a stack of other singles for under $40.

Burger Records (Fullerton)- Tons of used stuff. Everything from show tunes to garage and punk. Pretty good pricing and if you’re into their own artists is a good place to pick up those releases too. This place is run by a bunch of hippies though and always smells of marijuana.
Radiation Records (Fullerton/Anaheim)- Pretty much the opposite of Burger. Punk, Hardcore, Oi, etc. Small, crowded and a ton of stuff available. The last time I was in looking for Cramps stuff and the 15 year old kid behind the counter was discussing his favorite Czechoslovakian 80’s thrash bands with an older dude who collects Eastern European punk records. I didn’t recognize anything they were talking about, but they knew their shit.

so i went to lou's records today.  i'd gone to 3 shops in OC prior to that and they had all sold out of the new order RSD release and it turned out i was visiting family in carlsbad later in the day and lou's still had 4 copies.  the punk section is really bare, the indie section was ok and there were some interesting things in the 7" section but i didn't really have time to mull them over.  i might go back after i sleep on it though.

pretty happy with bionics, port of sound and tko though; i got everything i wanted and more.

That's awesome you picked the New Order RSD release there! Yeah, it's always been a place where I have to dig for punk and indie stuff. 

When I was regularly there, I'd always snag something cool. But since it's downsized, whenever I go randomly, it's hit or miss. Lou has a collection of "rainy day" used stuff. OG punk pressings of Misfits, DK, Bad Relgiion, etc. Occasionally, he throws some of it out on the floor.

I'm probably pretty bias though. I will always back that place and Lou for giving me a job, and treating me fairly. Even if a lot of other employees would mock my interest in Alkaline Trio, Saves the Day, Promise Ring, Gatsbys and Jimmy Eat World. I think I was the only person on staff who was stoked when they came to do a signing for Futures.

• 2 months later...