The Original Cassette Collective Thread

^ this, but probably more on discogs than ebay.

and jon, I probably wouldn't sell the isis demo ever, but I will keep my eyes open for you.

Definitely appreciate it!  I agree with you that Discogs is a better marketplace for cassettes overall, especially if you're hunting for something pretty obscure.

I'll check out Discogs then. Thanks for the tip guys!

Depending upon what you're looking for, it might not hurt to post a WTB thread in the sales forum.  If it's something that's popular here, you might have pretty good luck.

Hey, I only have two tapes at the moment, but I want to start getting more of them soon. While looking at them though, I've noticed a lot of tapes from Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Indonesia, Thailand, and The Phillipines...especially Marilyn Manson and NIN tapes

Do you guys think there's any added coolness to foreign tapes? I'm new to this and I'm just curious

Hey, I only have two tapes at the moment, but I want to start getting more of them soon. While looking at them though, I've noticed a lot of tapes from Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Indonesia, Thailand, and The Phillipines...especially Marilyn Manson and NIN tapes

Do you guys think there's any added coolness to foreign tapes? I'm new to this and I'm just curious

they are probably all bootlegs

We have already discussed that tapes from Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia should be legit because cassettes were still a popular medium for major releases in those countries up to around 2007. Now with the other countries listed, personally I'm not sure.

Also, I would say releases can be "cool" if you personally like/want them.

they are probably all bootlegs

See above^^

I'd say a lot of cassette collectors here aren't willing to give up the more contemporary stuff just because most tapes are like what ltd to 50? 100?

That's what I've noticed. I've been able to get a couple of what I'm looking for, but I'll admit I paid more than I would've liked to have. 

We have already discussed that tapes from Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia should be legit because cassettes were still a popular medium for major releases in those countries up to around 2007. Now with the other countries listed, personally I'm not sure.

Also, I would say releases can be "cool" if you personally like/want them.

Not saying it is a complete authority on the matter, but discogs lists bootleg tapes for NIN Pretty Hate Machine from Ukraine but legit versions from Malaysia and South Korea. The Downward Spiral has booted cassettes from Ukraine and Russia

I see what you guys are saying

Not always, but generally...

Ukraine, Russia, etc: Bootlegs for the most part

Thailand, Indonesia, etc: Usually official due to cassettes being more popular in those countries

Ukraine, Russia, etc: Bootlegs for the most part

Thailand, Indonesia, etc: Usually official due to cassettes being more popular in those countries

You got it.

However, even those countries have moved beyond cassettes now. In fact, some of my most coveted white-whales are mid-2000's era tapes that were made only in Malaysia/Thailand etc.

the hell/mizmor split is now available on cassette from either of their bandcamp pages. /300 and only 50 available from each band. mizmor had their copies up around 2pm, there are now 8 left.

http://loweryourhead.bandcamp.com/album/hell-mizmor

http://mizmor.bandcamp.com

DOOOOOOOOM.

Thats Rad, If I didn't have the record id be on this 

Anyone like dream pop? cold indie tunes? 

New 6 more cassettes left from: You'll Never Get to heaven

https://youllnevergettoheaven.bandcamp.com/album/adorn

Damn, I dig that.  Ordered!

Does anyone here check out the Cerberus section on Tiny Mix Tapes?  It's not exclusively focused on cassettes, but a lot of it is.  They don't really stick to one genre either, which is nice.  http://www.tinymixtapes.com/cerberus