The Original Cassette Collective Thread

Anyone got a quad cassette duplicator or know anyone who's down to sell for cheap?

I've been checking Goodwill for one of these. They had one that turned on but didn't do anything. A co-worker says she might have one but needs to find it. Doubtful that she'll remember to even look for it since she's old :(

EDIT: Would anyone be interested if I did a small run of the Dowsing / Donovan Wolfington (or Makeshift Shelters) live recording as a split cassette? It'd probably be out of like 20-25. Just wanna see if there's interest in it before asking the bands/buying blanks. Cause ya know, why go through the trouble if no one wants it ya dig?

So I got 2 buddies to hop on the tape label train with me, and this is a definite thing planned for this summer. I also found a marbleizing dip kit at Salvation Army, and as soon as I saw it I figured out how Eyetooth does his stuff. I will probably put out tapes like that (I won't be taking orders or anything because that's Eyetooth's niche and I won't take any business from them), and/or paint with nailpolish. I'm looking into getting a tape duplicator and deck within the month. Very excited for this. If anyone knows anyone who has a good cassette duplicator for a nice price let me know! Also, stated this earlier and am taking demos! Wish me luck! VC will probably be the only place I give heads ups too, and a special discount for fellow VCrs! 

mainly like indie/emo/garage stuff, but i was probably going to release my own stuff through it which is more experimental 

That's awesome! I'm excited to see what you put out. Got a name for it yet? If not, name is after me :D

ALSO!

I did my second recording this past Friday. It was for a local band's lost show ever. I tried two different spots again this time to continue tweaking and find the best area to stand. Three of the bands I stood directly out from them behind the crowd some. Having the center open up cause of moshing helped out with letting the sound through. Vocals are 10x better this time around on that. The other two bands I sat back behind the band, probably 6 or so feet to the left of the drums. I haven't gotten around to testing the full tape to see how the vocals and stuff sounds, but from what I tested after the show, the music is fine. I'm going to give it a full run through tomorrow after work.

Line up:

Sailors Mouth (MD)

Call Me A Dreamer (MD)

Random Holiday (VA)

Threads (WV)

Times New Roman (VA)

Distances (MD)

Sitting behind the band is one of the worst places to be if you are looking to get a decent recording. 

Standing in the center of the room or near the sound guy will give you the best results.

I see that now haha :P I was just testing different spots out. Live and learn. The only problem, most of the smaller DIY shows don't have a sound guy area. I mean, they do but it's not like most bigger venues where it's back behind everything and boxed off. The one band I recorded brings all the sound equipment with them to the shows and sets it up next to the bands. The other venue has the stuff attached to the wall.

I agree, standing in the center of the room works the best but is difficult to do without getting hit. Especially when you have asshole kids that like to try and spread out the pit as much as possible to get everyone in it. Fuck that ish. Then you have no choice to either try sitting behind the band or in the very back of the room.

DJ Michel Gentil - Le Frisson Des Occultistes

Awesome mix filled with samples of 60s-70s exploitation/horror movies and obscure psych rock / soundtracks.

"Wonderfully lost in time and vintage colored 90 minute Technicolor dream Le Frisson Des Occultistes (somehow, everything sounds better in French) cassette from the Ghent based DJ Michel Gentil delves deep into the abandon of the occult, reviving the taboo atmosphere of 60’s and 70’s (s)exploitation movies with a synthedelic edge pushing forth the sweaty psychedelic speed funk between Satanic invokations and dusted folk ballads. Sex and Devil worship mix here into a flowery tapestry which lures innocent girls into wild orgies with stroboscopic lights and bad acid trips, which might make one end either in the ninth circle of hell or the psychiatric ward. This is a powerful potion here, folks. Some serious witchcraft awaits. Don’t take this lightly, keep your third eye peeled and your ears open. Highly recommended". (Weed Temple Blog).

"There’s an element of absurdity to Le Frisson Des Occultistes but it’s that aspect of this tape that has me hooked. DJ Michel Gentil is one of the guys from the esteemed Silvester Anfang, apparently, and this tape dials into a different side of the occult-heavy vibes I’m accustomed to from that Belgian sect. It’s all over the place and that’s why it works and keeps the listener engaged throughout (it’s almost 90 minutes long). At the best of times I have no idea what is going on here and what is coming next and that’s about the best compliment I can give this. Get in and get lost. (www.factmag.com)

It's released as a cassette on the Belgian label 'Social Harmony' from Ghent (Cassette is limited edition of 80 copies, exists in two versions: VHS style package and normal cassette case).

0002576580_10.jpg

0002576578_10.jpg

0002576577_10.jpg

But you can also listen/download it for free on the bandcamp page of Social Harmony.

The guy who made this mix is one of the dudes of Belgian experimental psych/kraut ensemble Sylvester Anfang II. Also highly recommended.

I'm in the same boat. Doesn't have to be quad but that would be ideal. I just really need a cheap on cause I ain't trying to spend too much money right now ya dig?

I feel ya, I've been doing tons of research and there's some stereo ones for like 300 bucks, but I don't mind a nice warm mono hiss from mastering stereo tape and dubbing through mono dupes. From what I learned it's not a big deal, especially since we're using cassettes already. If I wanted hifi I would just download the mp3s

I feel ya, I've been doing tons of research and there's some stereo ones for like 300 bucks, but I don't mind a nice warm mono hiss from mastering stereo tape and dubbing through mono dupes. From what I learned it's not a big deal, especially since we're using cassettes already. If I wanted hifi I would just download the mp3s

I don't even know the difference. I just need one that will take tape A and put it on to tape B.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

I think you can agree that even vinyl doesn't always have a superior quality to mp3 depending on the mastering and blah bah blah. A lot of people collect records and such variants whatever not because they listen to all of them every day. There's just a unique warmth to listening to music on either medium, just saying if everyone wanted to get the highest sound quality possible, they'd hit up the PONO and listen to FLAC files all day.