The Original Cassette Collective Thread

When I won an auction for some old novelty tapes (160+ tapes) they came in two larger cassette packs, with the fanny-pack type zippers that go around. Like a portable rack. Not too exciting, but they were double sided - you flip it over and there's another side full of tapes, rather than just one opening. I don't know how safe that is for the tapes but they seem to have held up really well, aside from regular age there's no real damage to the tape cases. Just a thought, it might consolidate your space a little better than having a big cardboard box or something.

When I won an auction for some old novelty tapes (160+ tapes) they came in two larger cassette packs, with the fanny-pack type zippers that go around. Like a portable rack. Not too exciting, but they were double sided - you flip it over and there's another side full of tapes, rather than just one opening. I don't know how safe that is for the tapes but they seem to have held up really well, aside from regular age there's no real damage to the tape cases. Just a thought, it might consolidate your space a little better than having a big cardboard box or something.

but wouldn't cardboard boxes be the must efficient use of stacking space?

but wouldn't cardboard boxes be the must efficient use of stacking space?

I suppose, but if you actually wanna listen to the tapes it's probably a nightmare.

I dunno about anyone else, but I like to see every tape and pick the one I want, when I hear 'cardboard box' (and considering the number of tapes this guy has) I imagine a stacked pile of tapes in every box that he probably has to dig through, remove tapes to find the ones underneath etc. I can't live like that.

Yeah, finding tapes is a nightmare in these boxes. And I agree about wanting to see them all when browsing for something to listen to.

I have considered the fanny pack style cases like you mentioned. I think having to unzip and flip the thing over, etc..., would be a pain in the ass though.

I scored those two wooden tape racks for 2 or 3 bucks a piece a few years ago. They are nice and hold 100 tapes each. I am always looking out for more of them, but they are harder to find than you would think. Unless you want to pay $20 a pop online.

My vision right now is to find an old card catalog and convert it into cassette storage.

It was nice when my tapes all fit on a couple racks. Then I got into noise/drone/synth/experimental music and the number of tapes I ended up with grew exponentially.

I don't honestly think there's a painless option for you.

As to the cards, I used to play trading cards, perhaps if you found ones wide enough for cassette tapes but still containing separators, not only would it provide a short-height solution for storing but it would make alphabetizing and inserting new alphabetized cassettes a breeze. Just slide the others on down.

Also, I just looked at the pictures you posted. Are you selling anything? You have.. quite a bit.

I stumbled on a nice little collection today, pretty stoked with my pickup:

10,000 Maniacs - MTV Unplugged

Ace of Base - The Sign

Ace of Base - The Bridge

The B-52s - Cosmic Thing

The B-52s - Good Stuff

Blondie - The Best of Blondie

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle

Dig - Dig

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions From the Satellite Heart

Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & The Crooked

Hall & Oates - Change of Season