The Original Cassette Collective Thread

12 copies of this /100 BA Johnston - My Heart Is A Blinking Nintendo tape!

https://blacktoprecords.bandcamp.com/album/b-a-johnston-my-heart-is-a-blinking-nintendo-btr044

BA Johnston - I love it when you dress up: http://youtu.be/7Ar-Mf2yccc

Only 1 left after I sent my order in.

new batch of Centre Tapes available now...

http://centrecentrecentre.blogspot.com/

rp.jpg

Centre 05 - Radio People "Fall on Mars" Cassette
“Fall on Mars” was completed by Samuel Goldberg and Adam Miller in the Fall of 2014 in Cleveland, Ohio at his home studio. The title-track serves well as a reintroduction to the project since last year’s “Night Club” on Treasure. It begins as a slow release of scattery synthesizer bop that builds to spill out echoes of fluorescent pads and minimal sequences.  From there, the tape continues to loosen up and casts off into rich zones of rhythms and field recordings. Like many Radio People releases, present are the blankets of neon sound and emotive progressions of organ and synthesizer. “Fall on Mars” points outwardly to the planets while remaining in the real and present of a Midwest autumn. The Mars One team will be reaching their destination in 2025, enjoy a preview to what fall on Mars could feel like.

brett.jpg

Centre 06 - Brett Naucke "Pitch Documents" Cassette

Brett Naucke is an electronic musician living in Chicago, Illinois. His past works, such as “The Visitor” on NIHILIST and “Seed” on Spectrum Spools introduced many listeners to his unique scope. He brings humanistic qualities and a keen sense of minimalism to a synthesizer system with infinite sounds. These tracks are documents of a constantly tinkering musician at his home studio; exploring music to share it with listeners, but more importantly to move forward in a deeply personal journey. Dig in to his beautifully arching modular synthesizers compositions and join him. These works stretch with elasticity and are somehow also tightly wound. The pieces are fluid and glued with rhythms and pulses that propel and take rests beautifully and naturally. His work here presents itself like a sea of galaxies loosely simplified and then neatly folded onto the head of a pin.

colored.jpg

Centre 07 - Colored Mushroom & The Medicine Rocks - " TheGold Manor Eclipse" Cassette
Colored Mushroom & The Medicine Rocks are an electronic music group which is currently producing music and living in Cleveland, Ohio. These works were created in Cleveland and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Listen closely and perhaps you can hear the two different atmospheres’ reflections in the sound. “The Gold Manor Eclipse” is a concise release made up of treasure-like progressions and clouds of breathtaking mellotron. Colored Mushroom present a unique take on synthesizer prog that glows with glossy hi-hat snaps and deep drum patterns. The locked in drum machines are balanced by synthesizers and electronics that never agree to go straight down the middle. Similar to (the ensemble’s maestro) John Elliott’s work as Outer Space and Imaginary Softwoods, the songs move forward but remain hardly predictable. The songs are packed with charging movements and space to breathe.  Breathe to them, move to them, and let them move you.

Cool.

What do you guys think of this?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201254044208?nav=SEARCH

check yr local thrift stores for decks, or craigslist, where you can test their usability. 

also, i never blind buy either, just into a wide variety of genres, and a lot of the bands we work with have a pretty niche following, but trust me, theres a ton of tape-based bands and labels in texas, you just gotta find the scene

I blind buy all the time if I am familiar with the label or artist involved or if the description or cover art really grabs me.

For example, that Centre batch... the label is run by Sam Goldberg who I like his music both solo and with Radio People. Colored Mushroom features John Elliott from Emeralds and I buy anything Emeralds related. And I bought the Brett Naucke tape too because why not, it was cheaper in the batch price. I didn't listen to any of the samples and I'm really excited to check them out!

I blind buy all the time if I am familiar with the label or artist involved or if the description or cover art really grabs me.

For example, that Centre batch... the label is run by Sam Goldberg who I like his music both solo and with Radio People. Colored Mushroom features John Elliott from Emeralds and I buy anything Emeralds related. And I bought the Brett Naucke tape too because why not, it was cheaper in the batch price. I didn't listen to any of the samples and I'm really excited to check them out!

With tapes, I do the same. Though mamy of the labels that I did it with are slowing down.

Cool.

What do you guys think of this?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201254044208?nav=SEARCH

I ordered two decks from eBay, both showed up broken. Ended up finding the one I'm using now by searching for someone to repair the broken ones on a local Facebook "garage sale" group. He couldn't easily fix either but offered to sell me one he had in storage which works great.

In other words, look for local buy/sale/trade groups on Facebook. Chances are you can find a dude who's had one boxed up since the 90's.

As far as blind buying goes, I'll buy a lot of stuff recommended in this thread with only hearing one or two songs and haven't been disappointed. Then again I did this with vinyl, which is why I have a ton of Suburban Home releases I can't even give away ;)

I ordered two decks from eBay, both showed up broken. Ended up finding the one I'm using now by searching for someone to repair the broken ones on a local Facebook "garage sale" group. He couldn't easily fix either but offered to sell me one he had in storage which works great.

In other words, look for local buy/sale/trade groups on Facebook. Chances are you can find a dude who's had one boxed up since the 90's.

As far as blind buying goes, I'll buy a lot of stuff recommended in this thread with only hearing one or two songs and haven't been disappointed. Then again I did this with vinyl, which is why I have a ton of Suburban Home releases I can't even give away ;)

We're those decks listed as working?

We're those decks listed as working?

Yup. "Fully tested and working perfectly". One wouldn't produce any audio because of a problem with the board, the other had a really bad 'wavy' sound with no lower end. With that the seller offered to refund me $10 so I could "buy new belts and fix it".

I got refunds for both because if I wanted to fix broken tape decks I wouldn't have bought ones listed as WORKING. Goddammit.

Yup. "Fully tested and working perfectly". One wouldn't produce any audio because of a problem with the board, the other had a really bad 'wavy' sound with no lower end. With that the seller offered to refund me $10 so I could "buy new belts and fix it".

I got refunds for both because if I wanted to fix broken tape decks I wouldn't have bought ones listed as WORKING. Goddammit.

Bastards. I'm going to take my time looking for a tape deck and just use a Walkman for now; thanks, Rambo.