Listening To Your Records

How often do you?

every day. sometimes one while i'm getting ready for work. sometimes one while i'm home for lunch. usually anywhere from 1-5 during the night.

What albums do you usually listen to?

usually it leans towards the newer stuff i've gotten. sometimes i get a hankerin, and for the more classic stuff i have my faves i lean to (nashville skyline for dylan, revolver for the beatles, pet sounds for beach boys)

Are there any bands that you think sound better on wax?

every band. but specifically, i've never heard a record or cd that sounds better than my copy of Miles Davis "Round About Midnight"

I am one of those collectors that listens to everything I buy on vinyl. I don't care if it costs me $1 or $100, I play it. What good is owning a sweet piece of wax if you just let it sit on a shelf? Unfortunately, my buying has outpaced my listening abilities. I have too many records, too little time. I try to spin at least one a day, or a bunch on Fridays (when I work from home). I've been burning a lot of them to CD too so I can take them in the car.

I was trying to listen to a few a week, but my record player actually just broke, and is not worth getting fixed.

It wasn't a very good one.

It was an aiwa from a component set my parents bought me for my high school graduation gift.

I know this was kind of mentioned in a thread before, but anybody have any good and affordable recommendations for record players?

every damn day. at least every damn day i have any span of time to listen to music, even if it's only a few minutes to throw on a drag the river or draft 7" while getting ready for work (those are what i've been spinning the most lately).

i agree with all the aforementioned albums that sound better when playing: constellation bands (especially the new do make say think), shellac, the postal service all sound perfect. the best-sounding record i've got is probably the weakerthans - left and leaving. also big turntable favourites of mine are anything by dylan and springsteen's "born to run."

i dont have much time to listen to records. i'm usually doing something else. if i find that i want to listen to a record and actually sit down and enjoy it, i'll close my door, turn it up to a comfortable volume, lie on the floor, and stare the artwork and read the insert. i'm planning on getting a new receiver so i can use the bose headphones my sister got me for graduation. :]

the postal service sounds a billion times better on vinyl.

i usually listen to the first Clash LP when doing art or writing papers.

Guest scriptedrain
the postal service sounds a billion times better on vinyl.

I completely agree. It's a surreal experience. "Give Up" is the reason I tell a lot of my friends to buy records.

- Jeff

Guest scriptedrain
I'll have to pick up the Postal Service LP. I've got the singles, but not the full length.

It's a 2xLP. The first record is the full album (5 tracks per side) and the 2nd record has the following:

1. There's Never Enough Time

2. The Shins - We Will Become Silhouettes

3. Iron and Wine - Such Great Heights

4. Suddenly Everything Has Changed (The Flaming Lips Cover)

5. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (DJ Downfall Persistent Beat Mix)

6. Such Great Heights (John Tejada Remix)

I believe it was pressed on red and then pressed on white. Comes with a double sided poster that has an extra wide version of the "Such Great Heights" single cover artwork on one side and "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" on the other.