Has anyone with pets had anything like this happen to them?

So I came home from my second thanksgiving and found that my dog had pooped in my room. I thought it was a little odd, but I yelled at her, cleaned it up and walked away. It wasn't until I sat down to spin some records that I noticed what else she had done. (Sorry for the really big pictures.)

Here's what the Expedit looked like: 6xuj9mR.jpg

Damage: 7257mwHh.jpg

The records:

pDVihXW.jpg

Rush - Signals

Joe Satriani - Dreaming #11

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien

Garry Schyman - I Am Rapture, Rapture Is Me (Original Bioshock Score)

Surfing With The Alien: zm3swRu.jpg

Bioshock:7B9ZLTo.jpg

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? She's never done anything like this other than to food. While I'm glad that she didn't chew any of my more cherished records, it still sucks that it happened. Needless to say, she won't be allowed in my room anymore.

When I met my wife she had a cat that she had owned for many years, who moved into my apartment when we got married. I had my records and DJ equipment in a room separate from the rest of our house and the cat never, ever went in there.

Jump cut to my wife and I finding out she was pregnant with our first kid, which happened on a Friday when I just happened to be leaving town for a week long mini-tour with my band. We weren't sure what we wanted to do about being pregnant and apparently my wife spent the whole week crying and petting the cat. When I got back from the tour I went into my record room and found that the cat had climbed up onto my turntables and mixer and pissed all over them. Luckily everything was covered to keep dust out, but still... The cat had never done anything like that before and never did anything like that again, it was definitely a deliberate act.

TL, DR: Cats are the devil.

Put cardboard "flappers" over the shelves that you can lift up and pull the record out put. keeps dogs and cats scratching cardboard, nothing else.

This is a good idea. I'll have to try this one.

I have a lot of cats and luckily the place where I store my records has a sheet of glass over it (open/close glass panel), so my vinyl is safe, but as I'm now running out of room, I'll end up buying one of those Expedits and I have feared about this happening.

I don't have rare records by any means, but a couple that I cherish, so it would suck if something similar happened.

Sorry about what happened, btw!

Sarah's cat bit into our copy of Dog Problems. Two teeth holes on the sleeve.

Oh, the irony.  Though I'm seriously sorry about that.

Never really had any problems, except I did have cats that would chew on the outer sleeves and scratch a bit at records.  It never really bothered me because I came to terms with the fact that I will always have felines so I'll just have to deal with it.  It was never as bad as what the OP posted though, I'm not sure what I would do about that.  I would be ticked off, but again, I'm a feline person and just expect them to destroy everything I love. 

Did Sarah replace the record? Gary had an extra copy a while back.

We're not too worried about it. That album is very very important to both of us musically so we would never sell it. And it's the black repress. Had it been first press, I may have given the cat away. Ever since then, I make a harsh hissing noise whenever either cat goes near the records. It could have been a huge prick and taken a chomp on A Fever You Can't Sweat Out.

I'm a feline person and just expect them to destroy everything I love.

This pretty much sums it up.

Last night I sat something down (that made a fun noise to the feline population) and today it was gone.  For a second I thought I was crazy and misplaced it, but quickly realized that paws probably had their way with it.  For about a heartbeat I was irritated by the fact that it was probably forever lost by the "batting" of interested cats, but quickly remembered "Ronnie, you only have yourself to blame."

Oh, the irony.  Though I'm seriously sorry about that.

Never really had any problems, except I did have cats that would chew on the outer sleeves and scratch a bit at records.  It never really bothered me because I came to terms with the fact that I will always have felines so I'll just have to deal with it.  It was never as bad as what the OP posted though, I'm not sure what I would do about that.  I would be ticked off, but again, I'm a feline person and just expect them to destroy everything I love. 

As a person who has felines... and prefers them over canines (yep.), I can certainly attest to this statement. (And for the records, my cats have done far worse than that photo.) Especially the plastic sleeves. 

That isn't the worse thing to happen though...

I have stacks of records in the living room next to the sofa, or on the side of the bed, someplace to sit, etc. from time to time... usually someplace accessible to my meow meows because they like to lay their lazy bones where ever they want. I would sometimes come home in the afternoon or evening to find kitty puke on the top of a stack of records. They are chronic vomiters, after all. It's disgusting.  

It's like parenting in a way with our cats. I also have a 9 year old son who, when he was an infant and crawling and such, had a tendency to put books and paper products in his mouth.... same went with my records. (sigh.) Not too salivated and soiled, though. (Fortunately, he doesn't do that anymore.)

So long as you love them, you really can't go wrong. 

That sucks, but it's your fault. The chewing happened out of boredom and nothing else. 

As for yelling at her....pointless and counterproductive. Unless you catch them in the act they have NO IDEA why you're yelling. 

I actually think she might have gotten scared of something outside since some stuff by my windows was knocked over. Also, she didn't really chew them, it was more like she took a big bite at them and tore them. Those records weren't hanging out, she actually pushed them in more.  If it was boredom she probably would have pulled some out and chewed, vinyl included. She's a smart dog, and she knew why I was yelling at her. She gets a guilty dog face because she knows when she's done something bad.

My cat would scratch some old records I had in a crate near my desk. It was all thrift store stuff, so it wasn't too bad. I put a cardboard filler pad on top to stop her. She stopped completely when I got the Expedit.

Maybe a mailer pad mighty help on the front of the Expedit if you're concerned about it happening again. But perhaps the dog is smarter than my cat...