Has anyone with pets had anything like this happen to them?

I know some of you follow me on instagram, and I posted this recently. Luckily, it wasn't to the extreme your dog went to. It looks a lot worse than it is. (sorry, I'm mobile, can't post a picture directly), but, yeah you gotta use cardboard as protection. It was just so ugly, and I thought they had enough scratching posts throughout the house. I was wrong.http://instagram.com/p/vELhruiV6I/

When my wife was in the hospital for two weeks, and I was at her bedside, our two pugs decided to chew through her boxes of books. Chewed through some antiques but the damage wasnt too bad. They were just worried, and angry, that we weren't home.

Im also not sure why people think dogs are so stupid. Ours definitely know when we are upset with them, and usually why, even if its after the fact. Granted, we spend almost all day with them. But if they do something bad, they will have a guilty look on tgeir face and will be ready to be sent to the crate. Heck, they go in there on their own if they did something bad and anticipate being in trouble, even if its hours later. They know, they just don't want you to know they know.

My cat would never do anything to my records. He loves me too much and he gets plenty of attention. I've had him for 6 years and records for 9+. He likes when I put on records cause it means he can sit on my lap while I have a beer. The only thing he ever did was "scratching" on the slipmat when i had a 7" and no turntable cover once. He was still a kitten. It was a cheap record and an old cartridge. I wasn't mad, it was pretty adorable and it made for a cute photo op, though I don't know where the photo is at the moment. 

Im also not sure why people think dogs are so stupid. Ours definitely know when we are upset with them, and usually why, even if its after the fact. Granted, we spend almost all day with them. But if they do something bad, they will have a guilty look on tgeir face and will be ready to be sent to the crate. Heck, they go in there on their own if they did something bad and anticipate being in trouble, even if its hours later. They know, they just don't want you to know they know.

Well, it's not about the whole "I think dogs are stupid arguments", but this is a common thing with animals. As the other dude said, then it's usually counter productive, so who has told you otherwise? 

Just picture this situation. You're in different country where you don't know the language at all, and you're living with a family in this country. Then someday you do something wrong, you don't know it's wrong though. 8 hours later one person from the family starts yelling at you and looks pissed off. You would be able to pick up that the person is angry at you because of the tone the person is speaking in and the body language, but you would have no idea why. Wouldn't that leave you confused and upsetted?

So of course the dog would have a guilty face when you start yelling at them, and they might have that before you start yelling since animals are usually better at picking up "threat"-signals than we humans are...There are lots of reasons for why they could have a guilty face, but it's most unlikely they would understand why you are yelling at them if it's been a while since the incident happened.

Regardless that shit with the vinyl still sucks. I have a cat and I've always been afraid of it might mess with my vinyl records, so I've a storage unit with a glassdoor, so no animal access. I need a bigger storage unit now though.

one my my 2 cats started doing that 2 years ago. the whole bottom row of the Expedit. Lots of great records were wrecked. she seemed to prefer the new ones who were in a plastic sleeve. it somewhat protected the records a bit but more like a buffer so some would only have the plastic damaged.  i started keeping mailers and placing them over with 2 flaps open and stuck to the record pile.

she would still try to get under it.

clipping her claws would make it worse as shes still do it but work harder it seems

try the mailers or something similar.

dont let the cat in the room where the records are

or

get the claws removed 

we ended up giving her as she ate a 300$ pair of headphones, 6 pairs (not kidding 6 ffs!!!) pairs of iphone earbuds. a macbook charger cable. speaker wires and when i caught her in my guitar cab starting to claw at the back of a celestion, i was done with that piece of shit. prettiest cat ever but she sold her sold to the devil for that body.

Its not really a big deal, but I disagree with basically everything you said.  Dogs are only as intelligent as their educators allow.  And no, I wouldn't get unsettled just because someone was yelling at me in a language that I don't understand.  I would try to figure out what was going on.  Either way, I don't really yell at the dogs anyway, it is never productive.  They still know I will be upset when I go in the other room and see the mess they made.  They generally don't go in the crate, or appear guilty, until they realize they are about to get caught.

Maybe we just spend a lot of time with the dogs, but they definitely understand what is going on.   My wife is ill, and has spend almost every minute with the dogs for the past 5 years.  I am home all day as well, other than when I am working, and even then I come home to check on my wife at least 4 times per day.  The dogs definitely know what is going on.  Maybe its just that we have spend a lot of time with each other.  But they definitely understand our words a lot better than most people give dogs credit for, to the point where we really aren't speaking separate languages. They can easily tell me when they need certain things, and they definitely understand our conversations, even when it isn't pertaining to them.  They know when my wife's seizures are coming, when they have happened, they come and let me know and if I wasn't home, when I get home, one stays with her while the other runs to the door to get me and immediately brings me to wherever she is unconscious. 

Well, it's not about the whole "I think dogs are stupid arguments", but this is a common thing with animals. As the other dude said, then it's usually counter productive, so who has told you otherwise? 

Just picture this situation. You're in different country where you don't know the language at all, and you're living with a family in this country. Then someday you do something wrong, you don't know it's wrong though. 8 hours later one person from the family starts yelling at you and looks pissed off. You would be able to pick up that the person is angry at you because of the tone the person is speaking in and the body language, but you would have no idea why. Wouldn't that leave you confused and upsetted?

So of course the dog would have a guilty face when you start yelling at them, and they might have that before you start yelling since animals are usually better at picking up "threat"-signals than we humans are...There are lots of reasons for why they could have a guilty face, but it's most unlikely they would understand why you are yelling at them if it's been a while since the incident happened.

Regardless that shit with the vinyl still sucks. I have a cat and I've always been afraid of it might mess with my vinyl records, so I've a storage unit with a glassdoor, so no animal access. I need a bigger storage unit now though.

Maybe we just spend a lot of time with the dogs, but they definitely understand what is going on.   My wife is ill, and has spend almost every minute with the dogs for the past 5 years.  I am home all day as well, other than when I am working, and even then I come home to check on my wife at least 4 times per day.  The dogs definitely know what is going on.  Maybe its just that we have spend a lot of time with each other.  But they definitely understand our words a lot better than most people give dogs credit for, to the point where we really aren't speaking separate languages. They can easily tell me when they need certain things, and they definitely understand our conversations, even when it isn't pertaining to them.  They know when my wife's seizures are coming, when they have happened, they come and let me know and if I wasn't home, when I get home, one stays with her while the other runs to the door to get me and immediately brings me to wherever she is unconscious. 

Well, let's just agree to disagree then. No point into discussing that futher. I still don't believe in the things with them understanding words, but I don't believe they are good at picking up body language. Especially if they are well trained or spending a lot of time with their owners. But daw man, so awesome with the whole story about your wife and the dogs. Yea, it's not uncommon they can sense something like a seisure coming, heard stories like that plenty of times before. Really cool! Despite the whole vinyl situation it sounds like some really awesome dogs! 

Anyways, I always feel like whenever you have animals, just protect your precious stuff. You never know what might happen haha