I agree. I just finished the 1st episode and don't really get what the fuss is about. Maybe I need to listen to a few more episodes, I could just be jaded because the last 7 years of my podcast listening has been primarily fueled by dick and fart jokes.

id say give at least a couple more episodes a listen.

Has anyone listened to the recap podcast by Slate? Its pretty good.

Also, has anyone listened to Criminal? Started listening to it today, also a pretty solid listen.

My position: Adnan did it and he is 100% playing everyone. Used Jay due to Jay's police record and pending felony charge thinking it would be his word vs mine if it came down to it, but never expected Jay to actually talk. 

I've been having a hard time figuring out which side of the fence i fall on.

Has anyone listened to the recap podcast by Slate? Its pretty good.

Also, has anyone listened to Criminal? Started listening to it today, also a pretty solid listen.

I've been having a hard time figuring out which side of the fence i fall on.

I'll have to check it out. 

I have reasonable doubt about almost everyone involved in the case. Motive is by biggest issue with almost everyone in involved. 

I worked a double shift last night and got up to show 8. My opinions on the show itself haven't changed much, it's good but it's getting a lot of hype all over random places which also makes it odd that they'd ask for donations even though they're getting free publicity and have a sponsor already (Mail Chimp is probably paying out the ass for that spot). This show obviously piggybacks off of This American Life, arguably one of the biggest podcasts in this country, and I can't imagine the infrastructure needed for Serial are severely hampering their resources. The production, segue music, and "credits" are 'identical'. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who does an independent podcast and has watched the landscape drastically change over the years, I'm not implying people shouldn't support this show financially if they choose to do so.

With that being said, I'm under the impression Anan and Jay were in on this together. There are several people to back up the fact that they were together the day of the murder. Both of their alibis have far too many holes in them. Jay had to have been more involved, all that random shit he threw in about smoking a blunt after the murder seems like he was just trying to paint Anan as more of a villain then cut it out when he realized the time frames wouldn't match. I understand that Anan could easily come clean now that he's behind bars and it wouldn't make much of a difference as far as his freedom goes, but he said it himself that he cares what people think and if he brings Jay down with him he'll have to confirm the fact that he's guilty opposed to letting it seem like a possible mistake. The police definitely did a shitty job but if Anan had a legitimate alibi then he wouldn't have been convicted, that call made when he was supposed to be at track and the fact that he didn't call Hailey at all once she went missing are the most damning red flags IMO.

I worked a double shift last night and got up to show 8. My opinions on the show itself haven't changed much, it's good but it's getting a lot of hype all over random places which also makes it odd that they'd ask for donations even though they're getting free publicity and have a sponsor already (Mail Chimp is probably paying out the ass for that spot). This show obviously piggybacks off of This American Life, arguably one of the biggest podcasts in this country, and I can't imagine the infrastructure needed for Serial are severely hampering their resources. The production, segue music, and "credits" are 'identical'. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who does an independent podcast and has watched the landscape drastically change over the years, I'm not implying people shouldn't support this show financially if they choose to do so.

With that being said, I'm under the impression Anan and Jay were in on this together. There are several people to back up the fact that they were together the day of the murder. Both of their alibis have far too many holes in them. Jay had to have been more involved, all that random shit he threw in about smoking a blunt after the murder seems like he was just trying to paint Anan as more of a villain then cut it out when he realized the time frames wouldn't match. I understand that Anan could easily come clean now that he's behind bars and it wouldn't make much of a difference as far as his freedom goes, but he said it himself that he cares what people think and if he brings Jay down with him he'll have to confirm the fact that he's guilty opposed to letting it seem like a possible mistake. The police definitely did a shitty job but if Anan had a legitimate alibi then he wouldn't have been convicted, that call made when he was supposed to be at track and the fact that he didn't call Hailey at all once she went missing are the most damning red flags IMO.

I've had this thought as well. The more I think about it the more I think I have no clue. 

So, thoughts on the ending?

That serial killer development is really interesting, but w/ all the Jay stuff its also hard to see it being what happened.

I thought considering that because it is a real story it's not likely to have an ending they did a wonderful job. I was worried they couldn't stick the landing after a really boring episode 11. 

His last dialogue about DNA evidence brought me to tears. If he really didn't do it and hes falsely been in jail for 15 years man. I just, I just IDK. 

I thought considering that because it is a real story it's not likely to have an ending they did a wonderful job. I was worried they couldn't stick the landing after a really boring episode 11. 

His last dialogue about DNA evidence brought me to tears. If he really didn't do it and hes falsely been in jail for 15 years man. I just, I just IDK. 

Its just crazy to me how calm and non chelaunt he is when he talks about his innocence, if i was incorrectly locked up i'd be raving mad every time i talked about it.

im with you, i just don't know.

Its just crazy to me how calm and non chelaunt he is when he talks about his innocence, if i was incorrectly locked up i'd be raving mad every time i talked about it.

im with you, i just don't know.

Yeah I have those thoughts too but then I remember that its been 15 years. This murder is fresh for everyone in podcast land. It's been in his mind for 15 years. 

Not only does Jay know more, I believe Jenn does as well. 

Not to be bias because it's known I'm not in awe of this show, but that ending was so-so. You'd think the introduction of DNA testing would have lead to somewhere else but this "season" ended exactly how I expected it to. Maybe I got no heart, but I still feel like he's guilty, him and Jay. They probably had one of the girls involved too.

• 2 weeks later...

its a real shame the defense attorney died in 2004, would really have wanted to have her asked why the witness at the library who stated she saw Anan there was never brought to the stand.  I realize she denied her story during the appeal process, but she came back to the original story on the show.  

The biggest thing for me is this. If Adnan did it why maintain your innocence to the point of your own detriment? (He could be out on parole by now). If Jay did it then why, what reason would he have had to kill hae? 

Most people seem to think that it was either one or the other and ultimately the story is so twisted in knots I don't know if we will ever know but I do wonder if Jay is covering for someone else. I have a hard time believing he killed her, but his story is full of lies all we know for sure is that he knew where Hae's car was. I wonder if someone jay was closer to killed Hae.

I think Adnan did it and I don't really think it's odd for him to be maintaining his innocence. A lot of people would. He may not want to be branded as a murdered for the rest of his life. As long as he denies it, there will always be a lot of people who believe him. 

I think Jay played a part in covering up the murder, but not much else. He lied a lot, but that is somewhat understandable. He was really young, scared, trying to protect himself, and had a bad opinion about talking to the police. Baltimore is not a great place for snitches.  

I think most of the confusion comes from the state's case. There wasn't enough evidence to prove their version of things. That doesn't mean he didn't do it and it surely doesn't mean the cops and attorney's won't do or say anything to win a case. 

I think the only other possibility is that she was killed by a serial killer. It's unlikely when you consider Jay's testimony though. 

I also tend to think Adnan did it, though it wouldn't surprise me if Jay was more present than he let on. I don't think the state had the timeline right. I'm less sure about how premeditated it was, and even less sure still about being able to convict him with the evidence they had. There certainly seemed to be reasonable doubt, at least in the version we got!

Enjoyed the series though, look forward to net season. 

• 2 weeks later...