Black Metal Discussion Thread

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else, but Antithetic Records is having a 50% off sale on all their label/distro stuff. Snapped up some Vhöl (2x), Hexer, and a couple others (non-blackish) for <$40 shipped yesterday. "CLEARANCE" is the promo code. (This is my first post, so I have to add that I'm not a shill.)

Thanks for the heads up! Sadly, it seems what I'm interested in all falls under the personal collection stuff and it doesn't apply.  I might go back and look again later though.

Also, anyone into black metal that hasn't heard the new Ghost Bath track should check it out. They're definitely poised to blow up this year. They're doing the whole blackgaze/atmospheric black metal think ala Deafheaven, Woods of Infinity, Funeralbloom, etc.

This track is insanely good. The new album is out in a few weeks. No word on a vinyl release as of yet, but they've stated on Facebook that the label isn't opposed to it if digital/cd sales go well.

Holy shit this band is amazing.  Anyone else have any recommendations regarding black metal bands that also bring a whole bunch of beautiful melodic instrumentation along with? 

Are we still recommending black metal acts? 'Cause if we are (in no particular order)...

Weakling

Sigh (Scorn Defeat, Infidel Art)

Grand Belial's Key

Imperial Crystalline Entombment

Craft

Velvet Cacoon

Windir

Enslaved (Frost)

Samael (Ceremony of Opposites)

Maniac Butcher

Nokturnal Mortum

Urfaust

Pantheon

Rites of Degringolade

To those looking for atmospheric and melodic "blackgaze"-kinda stuff, check out the following:

Alcest 'Écailles de Lune'

Altar of Plagues 'Teethed Glory & Injury'

An Autumn for Crippled Children 'Only The Ocean Knows'

Black Monolith 'Passenger'

Coffinworm 'Great Bringer of the Night'

Heaven In Her Arms 'Duplex-Coated Obstruction'

Locktender 'Rodin'

Locrian 'Return to Annihilation'

Ruins of Beverast 'Blood Vaults'

Sannhet 'Known Flood'

Wood of Desolation 'As The Stars'

Year Of No Light. 'Tocsin'

ANYTHING Celeste!! One of the greatest bands out there atm

Classics:

Weakling. Dead As Dreams

Wolves in the Throne Room. Diadem of 12 Stars

I hate to be that guy but, Ghost Bath are in the same vein of black metal as Deafheaven are. They aren't quantifiable black metal. Does that mean they're bad? No, as you can see from my tradelist I love Deafheaven and I have preordered Moon Bather... err sorry, Ghost Bath's new album. But they are not really a black metal act.

Maybe it's just the 16 year old trv kvlt kid who's still inside me trying his damnedest to get out.

Teethed Glory & Injury was a conscious leap away from "blackgaze"...

100% agreed, I tried to share a list of awesome bm-influenced, highly atmospheric music whose takes on bm are outside the box.

I'm not too keen on that 'blackgaze'-labeling, but it does give a fair enough clue about what's going on there. Also 'Teethed Glory' is a beast of pure masterfulness, disregarding any genre whatsoever.

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else, but Antithetic Records is having a 50% off sale on all their label/distro stuff. Snapped up some Vhöl (2x), Hexer, and a couple others (non-blackish) for <$40 shipped yesterday. "CLEARANCE" is the promo code. (This is my first post, so I have to add that I'm not a shill.)

I think this sale has been going on for about a year now. I bought a lot of records from this guy and he was tops. I recommend The Great Old Ones for anyone into the "blackgaze?" thing. Al Azif double lp with the discount comes out to $12 plus shipping. Really can't beat that price. http://www.antitheticrecords.com/shop/the-great-old-ones-al-azif-2xlp/

Also, anyone into black metal that hasn't heard the new Ghost Bath track should check it out. They're definitely poised to blow up this year. They're doing the whole blackgaze/atmospheric black metal think ala Deafheaven, Woods of Infinity, Funeralbloom, etc.

This track is insanely good. The new album is out in a few weeks. No word on a vinyl release as of yet, but they've stated on Facebook that the label isn't opposed to it if digital/cd sales go well.

God fuckin damnit these Ghost Bath tracks are beautiful.