Black Metal Discussion Thread

While I like the sound of BM, I just find it so tough to get behind the ideology of some bands and people (some of which are truly fucked up) in the genre. I'm not religious, but it just feels unnecessary. I do however like trend of more nature and spiritual type BM bands, and I dig the whole black gaze trend. Anyone got any recommendations? I dig Deafheaven, WITTR, Agalloch, and I liked that last Panopticon.

Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Falls of Rauros

Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Falls of Rauros

Definitely agree on all of these. Additionally, Lantlös, Alcest, (both of their most recent albums strayed much from black metal, though), Les Discrets, Austere, Ghost Bath (specifically Moonlover), Drudkh, Amesoeurs, Skagos, Woods of Desolation. I could go on, and would be glad to if you'd like, but those are good starting points for atmospheric BM.

While I like the sound of BM, I just find it so tough to get behind the ideology of some bands and people (some of which are truly fucked up) in the genre. I'm not religious, but it just feels unnecessary. I do however like trend of more nature and spiritual type BM bands, and I dig the whole black gaze trend. Anyone got any recommendations? I dig Deafheaven, WITTR, Agalloch, and I liked that last Panopticon.

Vukari, The Great Old Ones, Ellende

Definitely agree on all of these. Additionally, Lantlös, Alcest, (both of their most recent albums strayed much from black metal, though), Les Discrets, Austere, Ghost Bath (specifically Moonlover), Drudkh, Amesoeurs, Skagos, Woods of Desolation. I could go on, and would be glad to if you'd like, but those are good starting points for atmospheric BM.

As much as I loved the music behind Ghost Bath, I just couldn't handle how terrible the vocals were- nearly "local band" status.

As much as I loved the music behind Ghost Bath, I just couldn't handle how terrible the vocals were- nearly "local band" status.

Yeah, it's definitely an acquired taste. I despised them on their first album and specifically recommended Moonlover since they're lower in the mix. There's a whole niche of black metal with that style of vocals. It's kind of weird how much Ghost Bath is breaking through with them. Check out "Death Pierce Me" by Silencer if you really want a chuckle.

Also, great call on The Great Old Ones. I Totally dropped the ball by forgetting them.

Sannhet, Altar of Plagues and maybe An Autumn for Crippled Children.  What Ghostdrones said too, those first couple Ash Borer releases are great.

Yeah, it's definitely an acquired taste. I despised them on their first album and specifically recommended Moonlover since they're lower in the mix. There's a whole niche of black metal with that style of vocals. It's kind of weird how much Ghost Bath is breaking through with them. Check out "Death Pierce Me" by Silencer if you really want a chuckle.

I'll have to check out that second album, because I completely agree with Ronnie's take on the vocals.

I'll have to check out that second album, because I completely agree with Ronnie's take on the vocals.

https://youtu.be/mg530raHyuo

Definitely my favorite track. The vocals are still of the dying goat variety, but much lower in the mix, as I stated. The music is such a vast improvement over Funeral that I can tolerate them.

Also, sorry it's not embeded...doesn't seem to work on mobile.

I thought Moonlover was okay, but I guess I'm not feeling the hype like everyone else.

I didn't go nuts for Sunbather either, and I just can't imagine anyone liking one and not the other, or disliking one and not the other. But in the spirit of good-natured ribbing, maybe they should've advertised like this.

"Ghost Bath: For when you can't wait 6 months for that new Deafheaven record."

think this was mentioned before but you can pick up that great old ones and many other cool black metal and other type stuff at Antithetic Records.  All distro and their releases are 50% off still.  That great old ones record you can grab for roughly 12 bucks which is a great price. 

http://www.antitheticrecords.com/

https://youtu.be/mg530raHyuo

Definitely my favorite track. The vocals are still of the dying goat variety, but much lower in the mix, as I stated. The music is such a vast improvement over Funeral that I can tolerate them.

Also, sorry it's not embeded...doesn't seem to work on mobile.

these vocals are quite a bit less obnoxious.  the music is gorgeous

My Ghost Bath cd arrived. Great album.

Curious: I've always liked a bit of Saor and Woods of Desolation but never really dug in. Which one album from each is the best jumping off point? Recommendations please.

Torn Beyond Reason was my introduction album for Woods of Desolation.  I haven't completely explored the discography, but I'd say it's a good entry point.