Black Metal Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

If anyone has been looking for or wanting the Until The Light Takes Us 2xDVD or blu-ray, they're back in stock, surely limited amounts, at Factory 25. Good prices.

http://www.factorytwentyfive.com/until-the-light-takes-us/

I got and watched the single DVD used copy I snagged from Bullmoose and it's good. Very well-done documentary and learned a few new things about BM.

not sure if they've been mentioned in here before, but everyone should be listening to The Great Old Ones.

H.P. Lovecraft-themed BM out of France. goddamn terrific stuff.

they're working on their third record right now and I couldn't be more excited.

a2006259779_2.jpg

LISTEN TO THE AWESOMENESS

I think this sale has been going on for about a year now. I bought a lot of records from this guy and he was tops. I recommend The Great Old Ones for anyone into the "blackgaze?" thing. Al Azif double lp with the discount comes out to $12 plus shipping. Really can't beat that price. http://www.antitheticrecords.com/shop/the-great-old-ones-al-azif-2xlp/

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not crazy into metal mainly because I'm not familiar with bands, but what exactly is the difference between black metal and death metal?

I've never really been a fan of metal that has only low growl singing. If that makes sense?

I really dig bands like Black Dahlia Murder, Death, Dark Funeral, Deafheaven, and just now checked out Ghost Bath and they sound fucking incredible!!

Any recommendations that are similar to the ones mentioned? I listened to The Great Old Ones posted above and really dig it too

Would Black Dahlia Murder be classified as black metal? Death metal? Just metal? I'd like to know kind of what the differences would be.

Sorry for the super noobness in this field.

This band sounds like Envy.

(or at least Envy circa 2003, haven't listened to any of their recent stuff.)

I love Envy, but I didn't here them anywhere in the album I posted. It's pretty straight recent USBM-informed. I hear a lot of Deafheaven, WitTR-kinda stuff. But it's interesting that you're pointing in that direction, I'll think about it next time listening to it.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not crazy into metal mainly because I'm not familiar with bands, but what exactly is the difference between black metal and death metal?

I've never really been a fan of metal that has only low growl singing. If that makes sense?

I really dig bands like Black Dahlia Murder, Death, Dark Funeral, Deafheaven, and just now checked out Ghost Bath and they sound fucking incredible!!

Any recommendations that are similar to the ones mentioned? I listened to The Great Old Ones posted above and really dig it too

Would Black Dahlia Murder be classified as black metal? Death metal? Just metal? I'd like to know kind of what the differences would be.

Death: growls, mostly technical riffage, not huge on it though, so not well informed.

Black: shrieks, long songs, atmospheric, ambient or folk influences are quite common

Regarding recs, I and other members made lists of cool recent BM bands a couple pages back. Check them out!

I love Envy, but I didn't here them anywhere in the album I posted. It's pretty straight recent USBM-informed. I hear a lot of Deafheaven, WitTR-kinda stuff. But it's interesting that you're pointing in that direction, I'll think about it next time listening to it.

I didn't listen to the whole album, but skipped around a few songs. Coming out of my shitty laptop speakers, the first thing that came to mind was Envy.

This youtube video is decent, even though I disagree with some of what he says. That is just endemic when you are trying to define a genre. https://youtu.be/-jrqXR3RY90

There are many different types of black metal. After listening to The Great Old Ones, give Mayhem a listen. Nothing alike. Venom is generally credited with the term "black metal" and also a starting point for the general sound.

I can't stand 75% of the black metal I hear, but that 25% is sweet. Also, Venom rules.

My boss introduced me to some heavy stuff from the Netherlands:

https://izahband.bandcamp.com/album/sistere

This is some really atmospheric, thick, elaborated post-metal with a lot of modern BM-influences. Check them out if you're into Altar of Plagues, Agalloch, early Alcest and Russian Circles kinda stuff. It's hella rewarding.

My boss introduced me to some heavy stuff from the Netherlands:

https://izahband.bandcamp.com/album/sistere

This is some really atmospheric, thick, elaborated post-metal with a lot of modern BM-influences. Check them out if you're into Altar of Plagues, Agalloch, early Alcest and Russian Circles kinda stuff. It's hella rewarding.

This is some great stuff. I'm gonna have to take the time to take this album in and decide if it's worth it to get that vinyl.

Seriously, anyone who scrolled past this comment, check it out.