Black Metal Discussion Thread

On 6/30/2016 at 2:10 PM, fitterhappier said:

Awesome... will pick this up for sure

Another new track from Caina's new album Christ Clad In White Phospherous is available to stream over at apocalyptic witchcraft's bandcamp here:

https://apocalypticwitchcraft.bandcamp.com/album/christ-clad-in-white-phosphorus

God's Tongue As An Ashtray.

This album VS Wreck & Reference's "Indifferent Rivers Romance End" for  AOTY for me at this point.

Apologies for posting yet again in here but I was just scouring Amazon for Panopticon releases and saw that there's a re-master of Social Disservices & On The Subject Of Mortality coming out at the end of this month on CD entitled Revisions Of The Past. There is also plans for the set to be put out on vinyl in the Autumn. Hadn't seen anyone talking about it here yet.

Pre-orders for the cd are already up.

US:  http://eihwazrecordings.com/distro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1677
EU:   http://www.nordvis.com

Details about the re-master :

"REVISIONS OF THE PAST comes in a massive 8 panel digipack, containing the reworked albums ”On The Subject Of Mortality” and ”Social Disservices”, fantastic cover artwork by Nate Burns, a 16 page booklet including original text explanations, current liner notes and other important reflections of these two albums. A few words from Austin of Panopticon about these re-issues:

The album ” On the subject of mortality” has been painstakingly completely reworked , re-amped, cleaned up and remixed by Spenser Morris as well as re mastered by Colin Marston to sound the way the album was originally intended. For many who have heard this album before, it will be like hearing the album the for the first time. The album suffered from terrible production due to the head space I was in when I recorded it, the equipment ( or lack of ) and COMPLETE lack of recording knowledge I had during its recording. To me, this is the album as intended and the definitive version of the record.

“Social Disservices” has also been completely reworked by Spenser Morris, painstakingly sample replacing the drums ( using samples from my drum kit), hit for hit and blending them with the original lo-fi drum tracks, so you can finally hear the parts played as they sounded live. When this album was tracked, I still had very little equipment or knowledge of how to convey the music as it sounded in my head…thanks to Spencer’s hard work I can finally hear the album the way it was meant to sound..brutal, suffocating and furious. I am so thankful for the work he put into this. The album was reworked, re-amped and remixed over a period of six months, then remastered by Colin Marston who was also involved in the creative process of the record. I am forever grateful to both of these men for the work they put into this.

The original versions of the album will always exist, and they stand as a reminder to me of a time and place in my growth with this project: raw, honest, stumbling through change and growth. I look back on both of those album folly for what they were at the time, but honestly I am relieved to have these ( in my opinion) improved versions of the albums done and I am forever grateful to Spenser, Colin and Nate for the work they put into this. Thank you my friends!"

Probably gonna wait to cop that wax myself

10 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Yeah, I've been waiting on the vinyl announcement for these.

I love ...On the Subject of Mortality...

I don't think there's any Panopticon releases I don't like. Looking forward to hearing how the re-master goes and getting my first bit of Panopticon wax.

The day has finally arrived and Caina's new album is here! Sadly the vinyl has been held up at the pressing plant and won't be with me till mid-late August but those stellar people at apocalyptic witchcraft sent me a download.

Stream:

https://apocalypticwitchcraft.bandcamp.com/album/christ-clad-in-white-phosphorus

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 8:03 AM, helsabot said:

Sylvaine: a very good mix of folk and metal, if you like Alcest and similar stuff, check it out , the album (Wistful) is out on Season of Mist

This stuff is fantastic!!!!!  Very much in the contemporary Alcest vein, which is totally fine.  I really dig this, thank you!!!  I wish the production was a little clearer, but that could just be Youtube's shitty compression taking away some of the clarity.  

14 hours ago, Neanderthal said:

Looking for 'ritualistic' recommendations outside of the Cascadian scene, (though they do it quite well)

Please & thank you

Can you give me some examples of this "ritualistic" music?  I'm very curious to check it out.  

EDIT:  With all this Panopticon talk going on of re-recording albums, I finally pulled up some of their material.  I'm listening to "On The Subject of Mortality".  WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!  Holy crap, this music!!!!!!!!!!!!  Dude!!!!!  This stuff is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't believe I've never checked this stuff out before.  I always had kind of a hang-up because I was like "Oh, they named themselves after an Isis album.... that's kind of lame".  But oh man this stuff is fucking incredible.  It makes me think of Blut Aus Nord a little bit, the Memoria Vetusta albums.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This stuff is fantastic!!!!!  Very much in the contemporary Alcest vein, which is totally fine.  I really dig this, thank you!!!  I wish the production was a little clearer, but that could just be Youtube's shitty compression taking away some of the clarity.  

Can you give me some examples of this "ritualistic" music?  I'm very curious to check it out.  

EDIT:  With all this Panopticon talk going on of re-recording albums, I finally pulled up some of their material.  I'm listening to "On The Subject of Mortality".  WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!  Holy crap, this music!!!!!!!!!!!!  Dude!!!!!  This stuff is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't believe I've never checked this stuff out before.  I always had kind of a hang-up because I was like "Oh, they named themselves after an Isis album.... that's kind of lame".  But oh man this stuff is fucking incredible.  It makes me think of Blut Aus Nord a little bit, the Memoria Vetusta albums.  

Gumbo is now going to gum up the black metal thread. 

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I always had kind of a hang-up because I was like "Oh, they named themselves after an Isis album.... that's kind of lame".  

pan·op·ti·con
paˈnäptiˌkän/
noun
historical

1. a circular prison with cells arranged around a central well, from which prisoners could at all times be observed.

17 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

you're welcome!

On 8/3/2016 at 7:21 PM, Freki said:

pan·op·ti·con
paˈnäptiˌkän/
noun
historical

1. a circular prison with cells arranged around a central well, from which prisoners could at all times be observed.

Oh yeah no I know, I was more referring to the term having been used already by a well-known band.  Kind of like how there are 2 "Departure Songs" albums in the post-rock world, one by Hammock and one by We Lost The Sea.  Both of which are fucking incredible.  But I just dislike it when bands use the same terminology or phrasing/keywords.  It makes me think they're unoriginal I guess?  

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh yeah no I know, I was more referring to the term having been used already by a well-known band.  Kind of like how there are 2 "Departure Songs" albums in the post-rock world, one by Hammock and one by We Lost The Sea.  Both of which are fucking incredible.  But I just dislike it when bands use the same terminology or phrasing/keywords.  It makes me think they're unoriginal I guess?  

Isis took the term from Jeremy Bentham and Michel Focault. Does that make Turner and company unoriginal? 

There is a popular line of philosophical thought that nothing can be original. 

3 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Isis took the term from Jeremy Bentham and Michel Focault. Does that make Turner and company unoriginal? 

There is a popular line of philosophical thought that nothing can be original. 

I think my argument would be "no" on the Isis front, because of the different artistic medium (author vs. musician), and them being the first well-known group to use it.  Lots of bands draw from the literary world for inspiration.  Although that argument would go out the window were it to be shown that another band had used the term as an album name earlier.  However, I think I would concede some ground on the notion that Austin probably didn't have much, if any, exposure to Isis, given their disparate musical realms.  

On your 2nd point, I can totally get on board with that idea.  Because every thought is triggered by something.  Even if you're trying to be original, your conceptions are going to be unconsciously influenced by all that you have experienced, so even at some base foundation level deep in your psyche you've got frameworks already set up you're constructing upon and emulating.