Black Metal Discussion Thread

On ‎2017‎.‎04‎.‎11‎. at 1:56 PM, helsabot said:

Debemur Morti is going to release May 12th the debut album by White Ward: judging from the first single, it's gonna be one of the more interesting albums of the  year: black metal + hardcore + jazz + dreamlike atmosphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHl_CG0Lik

I've been waiting for this so long, bought the special version without hesitation. The promotion says it is the metal version of Ulver's Perdition City and seems so true!

3 hours ago, anchorlessbodies said:

I've been waiting for this so long, bought the special version without hesitation. The promotion says it is the metal version of Ulver's Perdition City and seems so true!

This has to be my last purchase for this month. Very bizarre. Had to buy it.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, anchorlessbodies said:

Just gave a couple of tracks a listen as Perdition City I my favourite non-metal Ulver album (possibly actual favourite).... can't say I'm overly enamoured with it the only parts that are like perdition city (to me) are the sax and for the most part they feel a little tacked on, also the metalcore parts don't work for me and I do like older (late 90's early 00's) metalcore ala Poison the Well/ Misery Signals.

Its not terrible but to compare it to something as ground breaking and innovative as perdition city, when to my ears at least, it sounds like pretty straight forward stuff, not even close to a ball park near anything Ulver related.

Dodheimsgard - A Umbra Omega is more like the metal version of perdition city

Edited by 2notepockets

On 4/23/2017 at 8:55 AM, Metal Mike said:

Just popping in to say that Panopticon killed it last night.

Krieg as well.

Any idea what the set list was for Panopticon?  I saw them at Migration Fest.  Interested to know what else Austin has decided to bring out live.

Any other highlights from the Metal/Beer Fest?

1 hour ago, thebaucom said:

Any idea what the set list was for Panopticon?  I saw them at Migration Fest.  Interested to know what else Austin has decided to bring out live.

Any other highlights from the Metal/Beer Fest?

Embarrassingly,  no. Just that it was amazing. No banjos or other instrumentation, so it was very different. Still, powerful and amazing. Got to talk to Austin a bit after Falls of Rauros on day two. Really nice guy.

The whole thing was a blast. Great beer, super nice people. Khemmis fucking killed it. Municipal Waste were great. Krieg were great.

Sean from Dag Nasty came out and did a song with Pig Destroyer.

And of course, Sleep. Their merch line was longer than any beer lines for hours.

I think the best part was that we flew out on Friday to do some sight seeing. All day Friday and Saturday morning, we kept bumping into people and talking to them because we all knew what we were doing on Saturday and Sunday. It was a super metal family weekend.

3 hours ago, Metal Mike said:

Embarrassingly,  no. Just that it was amazing. No banjos or other instrumentation, so it was very different. Still, powerful and amazing. Got to talk to Austin a bit after Falls of Rauros on day two. Really nice guy.

The whole thing was a blast. Great beer, super nice people. Khemmis fucking killed it. Municipal Waste were great. Krieg were great.

Sean from Dag Nasty came out and did a song with Pig Destroyer.

And of course, Sleep. Their merch line was longer than any beer lines for hours.

I think the best part was that we flew out on Friday to do some sight seeing. All day Friday and Saturday morning, we kept bumping into people and talking to them because we all knew what we were doing on Saturday and Sunday. It was a super metal family weekend.

No worries, but thanks for the rundown.  I got to catch Khemmis and Krieg (w/The Body) at Migration also.  Definitely would have loved to see Municipal Waste/Pig Destroyer/Falls of Rauros/Sleep.  Beer/Brewery line up looked fantastic as well.

You are right about Austin.  He came off as a very nice and gracious individual.  Makes me like and appreciate his music even more.

• 2 weeks later...

More in the atmospheric/folk black realm been really digging Alda a lot lately their new album Passage is out on Eisenwald and is meant to be getting the vinyl treatment at some point.

Their previous album Tahoma is available for name your price download on bandcamp really good stuff:

https://replenishrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tahoma

Edited by 2notepockets

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, museummouth said:

White Ward came today packaged super nicely. Screen print is simple but a nice slip sleeve with the regular cover underneath. Vinyl is heavy too. Excited to spin it.

Cool. For some reason I got another shipping notice from them. I don't know if the first one was never shipped or?

New Wode is streaming:

www.noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/wodes-new-album-is-another-victory-for-british-black-metal

First impression is this is going more down the blackened death path which is not normally my cup of tea, but the final track is EPIC! Really enjoyed their first album from last year

Edited by 2notepockets