Black Metal Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, helsabot said:

if you are into "blackgaze" stuff, you MUST listen to this band:

debut album out this friday

I was listening to this trying to figure out what the chorus pedal guitar part sounded like and then realized it was Slowdive, which explains why I like this. Looks like black /150, half splatter /150 for HR subscribers, and /200 blue cream merge. Here's the hot link for USA - https://deathwishinc.com/products/mol-jord

EU

https://moeldk.bandcamp.com/album/jord-2

Edited by lexicondevil

20 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

In the interviews I've seen he has either just said he is completely innocent, or declines to comment...which I can completely understand...

He was up for basically the rest of his life in Prison and ended up getting probation...

According to Profound Lore label owner and operator Chris Bruni, even that is too much.

“He never assaulted her whatsoever and even the domestic he got charged with is false,” Bruni tells Stereogum. “It’s bullshit.”

I understand why you may choose not to support him, but does that mean you would no longer buy Profound Lore releases based on the above comments?

Its hard to know what to believe with this situation, Its a little more personal and different to the YAITW thing where there are multiple victims describing similar things.

Like I've pretty much explained, no. This situation is not cut and dry. I don't know the guy and I also don't know Chris Bruni, so I'm not making any steadfast judgements about him or anyone who buys his stuff. I even alerted one of my best buds about the record, because I knew he'd want it.

I've only read the interview I posted a link for and it wasn't all that informative. I do know that if I were charged with all of the insane charges, I wouldn't release an album called True Traitor, True Whore. Maybe that's just me. If all of the charges were false, then he was really put through the ringer and that completely fucking sucks.

The only fact is that I don't know exactly what to believe, but I am thinking that he was probably framed by a crazy person. Either way, I buy too much music as it is and will leave this one for others. I only brought up YAITW because I had a feeling about them in my gut and yet I still bought a bunch of their stuff because I liked the music. Now, it's in the trash. I didn't even want to sell it.

16 hours ago, helsabot said:

if you are into "blackgaze" stuff, you MUST listen to this band:

debut album out this friday

Good stuff. The first two notes of the entire LP are the same as the Twin Peaks theme and for a second I thought the first song was going to be an homage/cover haha

52 minutes ago, defectiveepitaph said:

I wonder what labels do with all the merch they have in stock when they drop bands and remove merch from the webstore? You'd think they'd at least do a drastic discount on it and sell it off. But it kinda disappears. What, do they drop it off at Goodwill or some shit?

I swear I've seen pictures on this very website of stores trashing stock from bands who've been outed as dodgy. I imagine some labels do the same.

How did I miss this? Atmospheric while also getting proggy, in a good way. FFO WITTR and Agalloch and ? Went for the black, since it's limited to 288 with an extra slipcase cover. Antlers - Beneath. Below. Behold.

I couldn't find it in the USA. http://www.van-records.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3706

14 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Like I've pretty much explained, no. This situation is not cut and dry. I don't know the guy and I also don't know Chris Bruni, so I'm not making any steadfast judgements about him or anyone who buys his stuff. I even alerted one of my best buds about the record, because I knew he'd want it.

I've only read the interview I posted a link for and it wasn't all that informative. I do know that if I were charged with all of the insane charges, I wouldn't release an album called True Traitor, True Whore. Maybe that's just me. If all of the charges were false, then he was really put through the ringer and that completely fucking sucks.

The only fact is that I don't know exactly what to believe, but I am thinking that he was probably framed by a crazy person. Either way, I buy too much music as it is and will leave this one for others. I only brought up YAITW because I had a feeling about them in my gut and yet I still bought a bunch of their stuff because I liked the music. Now, it's in the trash. I didn't even want to sell it.

I think you've been very reasonable about this, but since I posted the link, I will make a few comments about his situation as apposed to YAITW and others.

Not that it ever justifies laying hands on a woman, but I do see a difference between things that happen between two people in a relationship and the sort of predatory and at times violent behavior we've seen in these other instances. 

Wrest claimed his innocence the entire time. Out of the 38 or so charges, only four were brought and the only charge he was  convicted of was surprising to some since apparently witnesses for both defense and prosecution stated that there were no marks to suggest that he choked her.

As far as True Traitor, True Whore, if I just went through that experience, I could see that as being a legit way to express what I was feeling in the language of black metal.

Nice to see a civil discussion about these issues in at least one thread on this board.

Anywhooo, back to music!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2018 at 8:35 AM, lexicondevil said:

Have you already checked out Hells Headbangers?

I have now thanks! DHL shipping prices are sooo much cheaper USPS so stoked they have that option. Grabbed a Fantomas and Candlemas shirt didn't have much else in my size apart from a range of 'goat semen' shirts lol but the DHL still made it the cheapest.

47 minutes ago, blessedxcursed said:

Those Leviathan LPs are done without the permission of Wrest and he won’t see a dime from them. So you shouldn’t support them.

I hardly ever buy BOB releases, something about the sources they use to press vinyl seems cheap. I've heard of them doing digital to vinyl, like CD quality shit. Anyway, the only one I wanted is Sublevel. If I do get one, it'll probably be when they get US distribution. 

@2notepockets is Ascension Monuments planning to reissue Tenth Sublevel?

Edited by defectiveepitaph

Not sure they have done first sublevel...

They also seem to have a bunch of new Twilight stuff for sale not completely sure how legit that is given the circumstances around their demise.

I was just being a dick though, as far as I can tell Mr Whitehead is onboard with Ascension Monuments releasing his stuff...

@2notepockets I'm fairly certain J.W. is onboard with Monuments. I got First Sublevel from them, took a while to arrive but it's legit. I think they're trying to build some fresh reputation in the community with a huge roster of releases this year. They're offering a lot of cool shit, hopefully it all works out.