Black Metal Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think my argument would be "no" on the Isis front, because of the different artistic medium (author vs. musician), and them being the first well-known group to use it.  Lots of bands draw from the literary world for inspiration.  Although that argument would go out the window were it to be shown that another band had used the term as an album name earlier.  However, I think I would concede some ground on the notion that Austin probably didn't have much, if any, exposure to Isis, given their disparate musical realms.  

On your 2nd point, I can totally get on board with that idea.  Because every thought is triggered by something.  Even if you're trying to be original, your conceptions are going to be unconsciously influenced by all that you have experienced, so even at some base foundation level deep in your psyche you've got frameworks already set up you're constructing upon and emulating.  

I mean there was a band called Panopticon that released an EP in 2001.

Also, Isis shares their name with an all female band from the 70s.

People mine similar material for inspiration. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dead To A Dying World "Live at Roadburn" Digital/LP/CD coming soon!

Artwork by Sera Timms
Sigil by Kevin Gan Yuen

14449743_1329610773723899_56297827139740

This please me very much. I've been so into this band so much esp. after learning that Sean from the band has an ongoing battle with depression. This is something I can relate to and deal with myself.

Feel free to read Sean's interview in Noisey about it: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/dead-to-a-dying-world-depression

My Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder is on it's way. Still got my fingers crossed to be one of those lucky gits who gets the tape as well. Heard good things about the album on the whole but steered clear of the leaks and only listened to Tundra Leech once. Very excited for its arrival.

Cara Neir's new LP Perpetual Despair Is The Human Condition drops today. Been waiting on this a long time, it's not pure black metal as it has some obvious punk and hardcore leanings but I'm sure some folks here will dig it. Got the purple on order but it'll probably be a week or two before mine skips over the pond.

Stream/Physical editions here:

https://caraneir.bandcamp.com/album/perpetual-despair-is-the-human-condition

Broken Limbs Recordings Purple Vinyl /100:
https://brokenlimbsrecordings.net/products/blr057-cara-neir-perpetual-despair-is-the-human-condition-lp-cassette?variant=22029097092

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:08 AM, jhulud said:

Dead To A Dying World "Live at Roadburn" Digital/LP/CD coming soon!

This please me very much. I've been so into this band so much esp. after learning that Sean from the band has an ongoing battle with depression. This is something I can relate to and deal with myself.

Feel free to read Sean's interview in Noisey about it: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/dead-to-a-dying-world-depression

Interesting read, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...