Black Metal Discussion Thread

I listened to it today too.  It was in the back of my mind since I got the Gilead email about it, the post kind of popped it up front.  I dug it, but I need to give it a few more listens to form a real strong opinion.

I also checked out Make A Change.. Kill Yourself self titled album today and enjoyed the hell out of it.

So, the drummer for my old death metal band has a black metal group in Boston he plays with, and they are AMAZING.

They are calle Grue.

Please listen to "Casualty of the Psychic Wars".

https://grue.bandcamp.com/album/casualty-of-the-psychic-wars

The entire album is amazing, but the first 2 tracks are my favorites. Violent, melodic, just headbanging awesome USBM. TONS of catchy riffs and sections that stick with you.

This is probably my most-listened-to black metal album now. I just cannot get enough of it.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not crazy into metal mainly because I'm not familiar with bands, but what exactly is the difference between black metal and death metal?

I've never really been a fan of metal that has only low growl singing. If that makes sense?

I really dig bands like Black Dahlia Murder, Death, Dark Funeral, Deafheaven, and just now checked out Ghost Bath and they sound fucking incredible!!

Any recommendations that are similar to the ones mentioned? I listened to The Great Old Ones posted above and really dig it too

Would Black Dahlia Murder be classified as black metal? Death metal? Just metal? I'd like to know kind of what the differences would be.

Sorry for the super noobness in this field.

Okay, so.

These albums will clearly define the difference for you:

Death metal:

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Deicide - Legion

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance

Incantation - Onward To Golgotha

Black metal:

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky

Markduk - Panzer Division Marduk

Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts

Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence

The Black Dahlia Murder are a metalcore band who used to copy At The Gates. Other metalcore bands: Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall (sorta?), All That Remains, Texas In July.

If you like Black Dahlia Murder, check out where they get their style from by listening to the amazing album Slaughter of The Soul by At The Gates (i just got goosebumps typing the title haha).

Also, if you are looking to explore black metal more, please check out Immortal's catalog.

Their early stuff, like Pure Holocaust and Battles In The North, is just caustic, fast black metal.

They moved onto this amazing thrash/black metal thing when Abbath took over guitars.

You fucking NEED to listen to the album "At The Heart of Winter" because Withstand The Fall of Time might be the greatest black metal thing ever written. It also has Tragedies Blows At Horizon, Solarfall.... just titanic fucking songs.

More goosebumps, haha. Fuck yeah.

And then their album after that, Sons of Northern Darkness. Just fucking incredible, incredible music. Timless albums.

But no fucking joke, you better listen to At The Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness.

http://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/against-this-weald

If you have never heard of Ifing you are missing out. They are folky inspired black metal and it just works so perfectly. So far it's only have these 3 songs, but they will take you on a journey. Unfortunately getting a hold of this on vinyl is incredibly difficult, only because of how small the pressing was and how dedicated the Blood Music's fan base is. I was fortunate enough to find a distro that had one copy.