PO : Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

I'd be more excited if the single they released was any good. Sounds like more of their evolution down for the worse to me. I'm glad the LCW and Long Drive LPs got reissued this year so I can finally close the book on the band in my collection. Probably won't be getting this if it's more of the same sound as We Were Dead...

I'd be more excited if the single they released was any good. Sounds like more of their evolution down for the worse to me. I'm glad the LCW and Long Drive LPs got reissued this year so I can finally close the book on the band in my collection. Probably won't be getting this if it's more of the same sound as We Were Dead...

Yes, every single word. No book-closing before the reissue of "Building Nothing Out Of Something" for me though..

I think everyone blew their loads on the LCW and This is a Long Drive... represses. We gotta get our electrolytes back up, man.

Yep.  That's because everyone already knows those two albums are great.  This new one...is surrounded by a lot of doubt because of the previous few albums.  And add to the fact that the single is 3 years old...you've had time to come up with a full album worth of new material there Isaac.

I always find it funny when people expect 40 year olds to write similar music as they did when they were 20.

Either way, I have loved Modest Mouse since I first heard them on a mix tape a friend gave me back in 96 or so. I don't get the hate for the past couple albums, I enjoyed the new single and can't wait for the new album.

I always find it funny when people expect 40 year olds to write similar music as they did when they were 20.

Either way, I have loved Modest Mouse since I first heard them on a mix tape a friend gave me back in 96 or so. I don't get the hate for the past couple albums, I enjoyed the new single and can't wait for the new album.

I hate this argument that people use for bands. Bands age and progress, and yes, their music does sound different, but that does not mean it is good. There are bands that progress and make great music, and bands that progress and make shit. Progression does not equal improvement. But alas, it's all up to your own personal opinion anyways.

Of course, its definitely not always for the best, I never said as much. If anything, I think Modest Mouse is more of an exception. There are many bands that I used to love that have sucked for decades. That doesn't mean that bands should just continue to make music that sounds like their first few records just to appease fans. Maybe this is just where Issac is in his life, he is middle aged at this point. Either way, I appreciate the music.

I hate this argument that people use for bands. Bands age and progress, and yes, their music does sound different, but that does not mean it is good. There are bands that progress and make great music, and bands that progress and make shit. Progression does not equal improvement. But alas, it's all up to your own personal opinion anyways.

There's progression with every Modest Mouse album.  It's just that sometimes it isn't necessarily a good progression.  Coincidentally, the last few albums worth of progression were not good IMO.

Good music is good music, it does not differ between a bands 1st album or their 7th.  But if you want me to throw down $30 on your next album without hearing it first, you better have a pretty good track record going.

As somebody who prefers their earlier work (LCW, Building Something and M&A) and has liked but not loved the past two albums... I quite like the single.  And I really don't understand the one person who complained about the lyrics...  The lyrics to Lampshades are excellent and on par with the witty cynicism displayed in LCW.

I am suddenly hopeful....

This is not mine, nor am I promoting it; just figured if any of my fellow hardcore MM fans really wanted the lampshades are on fire test pressing 7" I found one on ebay.  Curious to see how much this ends up going for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modest-Mouse-Lampshades-On-Fire-test-pressing-7-vinyl-promo-/191451897925?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c936c2045

Modest Mouse has been my favorite band for some years now.

Their albums definitely have changed over the years.  Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is obviously a personal preference.  TIALD, LCW and Building Nothing are definitely a lot more raw.  I still like Moon and Antarctica and Good News, which are more polished.  Overall not a huge fan of We Were Dead and No One's first, but there are some really underrated songs on these albums like "Parting of the Sensory".  I think if these last two were put out by any other band I would like them more, but just have higher standards for MM

It's kind of like Interpol... IMO...TOTBL was amazing, Antics - very good, Out Love - good, Interpol - not so good.  Then they come out with El Pintor which was surprisingly good.  Hoping we see something like that with this Modest Mouse album.  As people have said earlier the album art is reminiscent of their old albums.  I really hope they will return to some of their original themes of sprawl, loneliness, concrete, the west, the desert, planets, shopping malls, god, ect

I like the new song a lot and look forward to embracing the rest of the album. I realized quite some years ago that they won't make another 'Lonesome Crowded West' so I'm kind of okay with being realistic in the fact that Isaac Brock is now almost 40 years old rather than 22 years old. 

• 1 month later...

This is not mine, nor am I promoting it; just figured if any of my fellow hardcore MM fans really wanted the lampshades are on fire test pressing 7" I found one on ebay.  Curious to see how much this ends up going for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modest-Mouse-Lampshades-On-Fire-test-pressing-7-vinyl-promo-/191451897925?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c936c2045

$310?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

From the Glacial Page website: 

First 2500 purchases containing Strangers To Ourselves LP version receive a complimentary copy of the limited Lampshades On Fire/Coyotes 7"  ****

****if you ordered before 01/19/15 your LP order will automatically contain this limited 7" 

Not a huge fan of "Coyotes" but this is a pretty cool bonus.