PO : Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

That's a little generous, don't you think?  I feel like there are a handful of takeaway tracks off of We Were Dead, but that's about it.

i overall agree that the last two records were very good.  i think both records had more really good tracks than bad tracks (though the bad ones were pretty ugly).  this record is really underwhelming.

Listened to the first 10 tracks of this on my dog walk today.  I thought the first song was really good and then it went downhill from there.  Everything else just sounded like boring versions of previous material

Pistol is pretty awful.  It's like a super shitty Ween song or something.

Kinda not good?

No. I just hate it when people need to compare everything to something a band did 20 years ago

Its one thing to not like the record(which personally I think its meh after one listen but time will tell after I sit down, really listen to songs and lyrics)...It is another to not like it because it doesnt sound like LCW or some other album. Nobody certainly has to like everything an artist ever does. kenney liked Dead for certain reasons. I also really like that album too. Different strokes for different folks but judge it on its worth, not as a companion piece against their other work

That is all I am saying. I am also not turning this into an argument nor is it against you

No. I just hate it when people need to compare everything to something a band did 20 years ago

Its one thing to not like the record(which personally I think its meh after one listen but time will tell after I sit down, really listen to songs and lyrics)...It is another to not like it because it doesnt sound like LCW or some other album. Nobody certainly has to like everything an artist ever does. kenney liked Dead for certain reasons. I also really like that album too. Different strokes for different folks but judge it on its worth, not as a companion piece against their other work

That is all I am saying. I am also not turning this into an argument nor is it against you

I think it's annoying and frustrating when someone bitches about a band's new record not sounding like their old stuff, but that wasn't at all what I was getting at.  I was talking about consistency.  There isn't a track I'd skip on LCW or Long Drive; every song is impressive and brings something fresh and noteworthy to the table.  But on We Were Dead?  Not so much.  The overall quality on a lot of songs just doesn't measure up.

I'm not hoping for MM to release LCW 2.0, but I don't think it's unfair to compare the overall quality of their older albums with their newer ones.  Solely speaking about the overall consistency, and ratio of "holy shit" moments to "eh, I could take or leave this song" moments.

Btw who decided that God is an Indian and You're an Asshole was a necessary track? Pretty much a waste of a minute on this album too. And coming in as a newcomer to MM really, I just felt like this album as a whole was a drag. Perhaps if they had cut some tracks it wouldn't have worn out it's welcome. Anyways, which Modest Mouse album should i check out first?