PO : Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

Let me start by saying that I actually really liked We Were Dead and Good News, but my favourite Modest Mouse "album" is probably Building Nothing Out of Something. I appreciate the range that they showed throughout all of their releases and while some songs on their newest records fell flat, there were still many great songs on WWDBTSES and GNFPWLBN.

Anyway, fuck me! After 8 years of waiting, this was a huge disappointment. Here's why:

- Pistol is definitely the worst song on the album. Don't try and tell me that "it's experimental" and "different and you don't get it" because fuck that, it's just not good. How does a song like that make it onto an album that's been in the making for 8 years? Ridiculous.
- Lampshades on Fire is just boring. Sounds like it should've been a B-side for the We Were Dead... era. 
- God Is An Indian is pointless. Which is a let down because it's got the best title on the album and had the potential to be another Cowboy Dan-esque epic. 
- Wicked Campaign is fun but...is it really a Modest Mouse song? Sounds more like a Killers cover band. Where did the synth come from? And why is James Mercer wailing in the background? 

Also, why are they still rehashing old ideas and riffs (Lampshades, Tortoise, etc.)? And why are there so many songs on this album that they've been playing live for years? It's been EIGHT YEARS. You'd think Isaac and co. would have come up with more new material. There are 15 tracks on this album but only about 10 are actually new. 

Highlights: 

- Strangers to Ourselves. A nice introduction. Violins were surprising but they fit very well.

- Ansel. Fuck yeah, island riddims! 
- The Ground Walks. Some good ol' dancing tunes. 
- Coyotes. Great buildup, nice guitar work and pretty harmonies. Lyrics are nothing special but Isaac's writing has always been most poignant when he's criticizing the human race - and that holds true here. 
- The Best Room. The outro is my favourite part of the entire album. "Don't you know it's hard feeling tired all the time" Fuck yeah, it is. Where was this emotion during the other 14 tracks? 
the artwork is phenomenal 

It's good to know that 'Lampshades' is one of the lesser tracks on the album. There might be some moments to enjoy after all. Gonna listen when its out there, expecting absolutely nothing.

In on 'Building Nothing..' as their definite release. While I see the first two albums as classics, both '50 best albums of all time'-material, that's the record I enjoy even more. 'Other people's lives' is the best thing they've done.

@rabbitvinyl- I have not listened to the leak (I like to wait), but based on what you liked and didn't I'll probably have a similar perspective. For instance, I like Coyotes and Room. Still looking forward to it, but as Eliminator said, I'm not going to expect anything. Bummed this is a let down. On the plus side, we are getting and got some great reissues this past year.

Bummed this is a let down. On the plus side, we are getting and got some great reissues this past year.

Keep in mind, that was just my opinion of the album. Some folks seem to think otherwise, especially regarding Pistol. I just posted that long ass rant because I don't see nearly as much discussion about actual music on these forums. 

But you're right, I'm really happy about all the reissues of their old albums. I preordered LCW and Long Drive the second I heard it was happening. Did the same with Interstate 8 and Building Nothing Out of Something. 

Keep in mind, that was just my opinion of the album. Some folks seem to think otherwise, especially regarding Pistol. I just posted that long ass rant because I don't see nearly as much discussion about actual music on these forums. 

But you're right, I'm really happy about all the reissues of their old albums. I preordered LCW and Long Drive the second I heard it was happening. Did the same with Interstate 8 and Building Nothing Out of Something. 

Oh yeah absolutely. I just know that you mentioned liking certian aspects of the new songs that struck me as well. I'm sure I'll like one that a lot of people don't. Like "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes." A lot of people don't like that song, but I actually really like it. Anyway, I'm just pumped to have new MM (even if it is similar concepts to previous ablums). 

I'm new to Modest Mouse, besides the radio singles, but after hearing the first 4 singles from this I went ahead and pre-ordered. Everyone seems to be disappointed because its all rehashed ideas from previous material, hopefully its not so bad to someone who hasn't heard it before.

Are the singles the best thing on it?

I'm new to Modest Mouse, besides the radio singles, but after hearing the first 4 singles from this I went ahead and pre-ordered. Everyone seems to be disappointed because its all rehashed ideas from previous material, hopefully its not so bad to someone who hasn't heard it before.

Are the singles the best thing on it?

I'm sure you are fully capable of coming to your own conclusions on the album. Just because others don't like it, doesn't mean you won't. 

All the hate on Pistol is crazy. I dig it. Reminds me of a Ween song.

This album is solid. There are some really great tracks here (Tortoise, Shit in Your Cut, The Ground Walks, Sugar Boats) and the lyrics are excellent as usual.

No, it's not perfect.... Wicked Campaign is pretty awful, Ansel is meh, and too many songs have a similar tempo resulting in a listening experience that slightly bleeds together. But on the whole, I think I like it more than either of the past two albums.

All the hate on Pistol is crazy. I dig it. Reminds me of a Ween song.

This album is solid. There are some really great tracks here (Tortoise, Shit in Your Cut, The Ground Walks, Sugar Boats) and the lyrics are excellent as usual.

No, it's not perfect.... Wicked Campaign is pretty awful, Ansel is meh, and too many songs have a similar tempo resulting in a listening experience that slightly bleeds together. But on the whole, I think I like it more than either of the past two albums.

Chances are you're the crazy one. Seems nobody but you likes it.

I was telling someone that tracks 4,5,and 10 need to be cut... you agreed with me about 2/3 so you aren't thaaaaat crazy it seems.

There's an above average album hidden in here, feels really padded for length.