PO : Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

I mean, normally a missing 4th track would drive me nuts but Pistol is so bad I got over it. I imagine in my mind the only way Isaac got to sing that way was by getting hit in the face with a diarrhea fire hose.

I could appreciate it as a novelty / joke / bonus track / b-side... but its placement on the album and overall length are just too much for me.

I mean, normally a missing 4th track would drive me nuts but Pistol is so bad I got over it. I imagine in my mind the only way Isaac got to sing that way was by getting hit in the face with a diarrhea fire hose.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! I have not heard the record yet but this is the funiest thing I've read in awhile. Awesome.

Gave it my first listen last night. "Pistol" is, by all accounts and measures, fucking intolerable. Almost as intolerable as a Ween song. (I went for the easy joke- I don't actually dislike Ween that much).

I'm really digging most the rest of the record though. Some tracks I actually thought, "This is some of the best Modest Mouse I've ever heard." And I never said that about anything on the last album. We'll see how often it makes the rotation though... guessing about as much as the last one which is pretty much never. Or it could be my summer record the way Good News was 10 years ago even though a bunch of douchebags ruined it by liking it or whatever.

Gave it my first listen last night. "Pistol" is, by all accounts and measures, fucking intolerable. Almost as intolerable as a Ween song. (I went for the easy joke- I don't actually dislike Ween that much).

I'm really digging most the rest of the record though. Some tracks I actually thought, "This is some of the best Modest Mouse I've ever heard." And I never said that about anything on the last album. We'll see how often it makes the rotation though... guessing about as much as the last one which is pretty much never. Or it could be my summer record the way Good News was 10 years ago even though a bunch of douchebags ruined it by liking it or whatever.

Jumping in to agree. Lampshades On Fire, Coyotes, Be Brave, and Sugar Boats are awesome. Really I enjoyed the whole album aside from Pistol, but even that is growing on me

if you listen to this record, expecting it to be similar to We Were Dead, the album is pretty good.

If you listen to this record, still hoping it is going to sound like LCW, you are going to not like it at all.

Although I love LCW, i dont mind this record. I just kinda think of 90's MM and past 10 years MM as two different bands lol.

To me it sounds like a natural progression from We Were Dead. The band hasn't sounded the same on any two releases and thats one thing I really like about them. You never really know what to expect with them. As for them being a two different bands between the 90's and now I disagree. Issac still has those same out there introspective lyrics, talks about the west and weird stuff, and they use a lot of the same distortion (my wife calls it the empty tea kettle noise) and tones, as well as horns that they've used on a ton of releases

what's up with the download cards from Glacial Pace? I've been trying to redeem mine since I got my package on Sat. 

It says "commentary" next to the tracks which makes me think it might just be an album commentary and not the music yet? Any one successfully download it yet? I haven't been able to..

what's up with the download cards from Glacial Pace? I've been trying to redeem mine since I got my package on Sat. 

It says "commentary" next to the tracks which makes me think it might just be an album commentary and not the music yet? Any one successfully download it yet? I haven't been able to..

Probably not until tomorrow (release date).

I just kinda think of 90's MM and past 10 years MM as two different bands.

Which is their prerogative. Overall I think there are some really great songs on this album (shit in your cut, the ground walks, coyotes, sugar boats) but it's not the most consistent as far as a whole. For instance, I can see how Pistol is a MM song but where it fits on this album I'm not sure. That said, I hate it a lot less than I originally did. 

Jumping in to agree. Lampshades On Fire, Coyotes, Be Brave, and Sugar Boats are awesome. Really I enjoyed the whole album aside from Pistol, but even that is growing on me

Can I ask, why Lampshades on Fire? It sounds like Float On lite. Even uses the same buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-bu-buuuuhaa

Probably not until tomorrow (release date).

to anyone who received the LP already, are you having trouble downloading the album with the code? it will only let me download a commentary. might just have to wait til tmw to download the real album.

Made it to track 2 of "The Golden Casket Vol. 1" (lampshades), and so far it's We were Dead-y. I am not letdown yet. Will follow up post-Pistol.

Update: I understand why folks don't like Pistol, but I think he's making some relevant social commentary on how we're destroying ourselves to brink of insanity (aka we're all fucking crazy). TBC...

Cont... Overall= A- to a B+ Some tracks are awesome others will grow on me more and a couple I could do without. In a nutshell, I'm very satisfied with the album. I can't wait for Vol. 2.

Update: I understand why folks don't like Pistol, but I think he's making some relevant social commentary on how we're destroying ourselves to brink of insanity (aka we're all fucking crazy). TBC...

I'm excited to hear this song now after all the talk about it. I'm waiting to pick the album up locally tomorrow so haven't heard much beyond 'Lampshades on Fire', which plays on our local radio station a biiit. But I get the same vibe from 'Lampshades on Fire'; very misanthropic point of view on humanity. I got that a bit on 'We Were Dead...' too, but that, to me, was like his coping with his past and how his crazy, addictive ways have affected his present, where the new material is like, as you mentioned, not only is he crazy, but we're all fucking crazy; we get so caught up in partying, and overindulgence, that we become...."Strangers to Ourselves"  :o