PO : Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

This guy gets it. "Pistol" is specifically about Andrew Cunanan (the guy who murdered Versaci), but it's not like Issac wasn't in a SLIGHTLY similar mental state as Andrew in 1996. I think (that I think) it's about AC, but a reflection of how he wasn't far from his situation at that time (yet IB refrained from going on a killing spree). Just a thought. Again, we're all fucking insane (and we don't belong on this planet because we didn't come from this planet)- that's the message of this album. 

This guy gets it. "Pistol" is specifically about Andrew Cunanan (the guy who murdered Versaci), but it's not like Issac wasn't in a SLIGHTLY similar mental state as Andrew in 1996. I think (that I think) it's about AC, but a reflection of how he wasn't far from his situation at that time (yet IB refrained from going on a killing spree). Just a thought. Again, we're all fucking insane (and we don't belong on this planet because we didn't come from this planet)- that's the message of this album. 

It's one thing to "get" it, it's another to actually hear it and like it. He's very well capable of sounding insane [Tundra/Desert] without sounding like that.

It's one thing to "get" it, it's another to actually hear it and like it. He's very well capable of sounding insane [Tundra/Desert] without sounding like that.

Haha. Fair enough. I'm not downing anyone who doesn't like it. It's 100% fair to dislike ANY song, especially one that is so different from the norm. I didn't mean to sound that way. 

Pistol will never be in my top MM songs or anything, but I wouldn't skip it if I were listening to the CD in the car or something. I highly doubt I'd put forth the effort of flipping the record early.

yeah I haven't heard it yet so I can't say much beyond understanding the direction he's taking it. Very anxious to hear it as a whole and see where that leaves me. 

I may just be crazy (probably), but I think the album is "out of order" with regard to its track listing. I think that it plays in a non A-D order. The planets/moon on the labels allude to that. Mars=> Jupiter=> Neptune=> the Moon...maybe D first then A-C? Vice Versa? I dunno. Just a thought. Obviously the "Golden Casket" is a reference to Earth.

yeah I haven't heard it yet so I can't say much beyond understanding the direction he's taking it. Very anxious to hear it as a whole and see where that leaves me. 

Honestly it's just what he's doing with his voice, the music itself isn't even that bad and could work just fine as a weird Modest Mouse song.

Well, it's no Creed, I tell you what!

But then again, what is? 

But honestly, Pistol was the only song that really stood out to me on the album. The rest just kinda seemed like Modest Mouse on auto-pilot. Pistol at least sounded different and unique. Sure, it's probably not many people's cup of tea and it's not what you want to hear out of Modest Mouse necessarily, but it's different.

Just finished listening to this for the first time cause I too was waiting for my vinyl copy and I actually love it.  I didn't think there was really a bad song on the whole thing.  Sure "Pistol" definitely stands out from the rest of the album but I found myself enjoying it.

But umm, I do have a question.  Am I the only one confused about the song order/track listing?  For example, "Pups to Dust" is showing up as the 8th track everywhere I look, yet it was the last song on the C side.  And also, I remember "God is an Indian an You're and Asshole" being on the B side yet it's supposedly the 12th track.

So what's going on here exactly?

But umm, I do have a question. Am I the only one confused about the song order/track listing? For example, "Pups to Dust" is showing up as the 8th track everywhere I look, yet it was the last song on the C side. And also, I remember "God is an Indian an You're and Asshole" being on the B side yet it's supposedly the 12th track.

But umm, I do have a question. Am I the only one confused about the song order/track listing? For example, "Pups to Dust" is showing up as the 8th track everywhere I look, yet it was the last song on the C side. And also, I remember "God is an Indian an You're and Asshole" being on the B side yet it's supposedly the 12th track.

Pretty sure they just mixed it up for the LP version like they've done before with previous albums.