PO SOON: D'Angelo and the Vanguard "Black Messiah"

So after listening 5-6 times, I've gotta join the chorus and say god damn, this is a great album. I was skeptical that he could match Voodoo after all these years -- still too early to say, but it's pretty close. Not a dud on here. So many layers and little flourishes that really set things off. It definitely feels like a record that was labored on for a long time, but it also feels really timeless. Also the sitar on "The Charade" gives me the inside tingles.

Got high hopes for the vinyl after hearing Questlove say that the whole thing was recorded fully analog on tape.

This album is everything especially. "another life"

I'm really digging that track and also "Back to the Future Part. 1" and especially "Sugah Daddy". This is probably a new landscape for R&B that he's creating for us (all over again). Every song is extremely well crafted, very layered and overwhelmingly dense (and that's a very good thing).

If I have a complaint, I guess it's that I can't make out what the lyrics are half the time. I just wish he sang a little more clearly and/or didn't distort the vocals so much.

His delivery is the same as it's always been. James Brown also had a multitude of indecipherable lyrics and that didn't deter him from success.

His delivery is the same as it's always been. James Brown also had a multitude of indecipherable lyrics and that didn't deter him from success.

"Sugah Daddy", I think, has the most eclectic vocals I've heard in any song ever. Every line sounds completely varied either by the use of effects or just the way he delivers it. Listen to it, his singing is all over the place and it works really well too.

With the track list whittled down to 12 songs from more than 20 “really strong contenders,” Mr. Elevado said, the label looked to Afropunk, an arts group and creative agency, to direct the album’s art, marketing materials and more.

Afropunk’s work on “Black Messiah” often went until 4 a.m., including time spent deciphering the dense, distorted vocals for a lyric booklet. That was still too late to make the CD, but it will be included in the forthcoming vinyl version.

Via

Is there a huge difference? Genuinely curious because I grabbed a non-180g copy when they repressed it a year or two ago and it sounds awesome. Nice heavy tip-on jacket, too.

Not sure, never heard the general release. That was just more or less a jab at people who still don't own that album nor were they frothing at the mouth like I was when LITA dropped those 2000 180g's.

• 3 weeks later...