Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

Two updates, first of all the Planning For Burial 3rd press of Below The House will be on baby puke/jaundice yellow as per a few comments from the Flenser and Thom's instagram and should be going live around the 20th of this month if my foggy memory is right.

Secondly details for All Your Sisters third album are out there. It's called Trust Ruins and is out April 19th. Available on standard black, bone (with a 28 page art booklet) and red with black splatter being the subscription exclusive. First track "Dividing Lines" is up on youtube  and the album was engineered by Jack Shirley (Deafheaven, Oathbreaker, Bosse De Nage)

US: https://nowflensing.com/collections/all-your-sisters/products/all-your-sisters-trust-ruins-lp

EU: https://deathwishinc.eu/collections/the-flenser

Not really Flenser news but Planning For Burial is putting out a new drone cd through Thom's own imprint Glowing Windows, figured some of you Flenser heads might appreciate the heads up. Available here:

https://planningforburial.bigcartel.com/product/planning-for-burial-continued-cd-gwr11

Also next preview track for Elizabeth Color Wheel will be dropping soon according to Flenser's instagram.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

15 minutes ago, brandy said:

Will the records from the Membership come with the silkscreened artwork?

I don't see it in the description so just checking.

Pretty sure the membership versions will indeed get the silk screened covers where the records involved already have them made up for the retail batch but if you have any questions shoot Jonathan an email at:

[email protected]

He's a real nice guy n normally quick to respond to emails.

1 hour ago, fish said:

Yeah, my welcome to the club email said that we'd get the special color and silkscreen.

I'm still under the impression that silkscreen covers will probably apply only to the albums where they are already advertising silkscreen versions. Whether they do them for all LPs in the sub is open to interpretation but to me it's most likely that the subscriptions will be "the fanciest version available to the general public" on a separate subscriber exclusive colour. So whilst Elizabeth Colour Wheel will have a silkscreen All Your Sisters is more likely to not but it will come with the booklet advertised with the bone coloured variant. I may be wrong, I'm just thinking out loud.

19 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'm still under the impression that silkscreen covers will probably apply only to the albums where they are already advertising silkscreen versions. Whether they do them for all LPs in the sub is open to interpretation but to me it's most likely that the subscriptions will be "the fanciest version available to the general public" on a separate subscriber exclusive colour. So whilst Elizabeth Colour Wheel will have a silkscreen All Your Sisters is more likely to not but it will come with the booklet advertised with the bone coloured variant. I may be wrong, I'm just thinking out loud.

100% agree with you. I was assuming @brandy was just asking about the ECW album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

VALE: BURDEN OF SIGHT

March 21, 2019
revisedcoverart1500x1500-536x536.jpg

Pre-orders US

Pre-order Bandcamp

Pre-order Europe

“There was never a single event that doomed us all, it was everything all at once, and forever more.”

On their debut album Oakland, CA’s Vale channel visions of a grim future in which the world is barren and destroyed, where agents of opportunity consume everything they can get their hands on. Titled “Burden of Sight,” the album can be seen as an expression of outrage felt at the pervasive exploitation and avarice that has taken root in the band’s own backyard. From rampant homelessness to the overindulgences of the upper class, it’s all too easy to imagine the harsh reality of decomposing landscapes fraught with cannibalism and religious zealotry that Vale depicts across six tracks of roaring, death-infused black metal.

Vale features Kate Coysh on vocals, James Meyer and Daniel Borman on guitar, Thaddaeus Perkins on bass, and Justin Ennis on drums and electronics. The band was formed in late 2015 and shares members with Ulthar, Void Omnia and Abstracter. After recording a demo in 2017 the quintet hit the road twice as they worked on the material that would make up their first full-length. Burden of Sight was recorded by Greg Wilkinson in Jan 2019 at Earhammer Studios in Oakland, CA. The Flenser will release Burden of Sight on LP and digital formats on May 24th 2019.

Track listing:

1. Final Flesh

2. Guilt Among the Dead

3. The Guilded Path

4. Starvation Eternal

5. Beyond the Pale

6. Grief Undone

Variants as follows Silver, Black or Sub Club Silver & Other unspecified colour. Was announced on the Flenser FB group as the only "METAL" album Flenser is releasing in 2019. Really like the track, sub club hasn't misfired yet.

Have A Nice Life talking to kerrang:

https://www.kerrang.com/features/have-a-nice-life-arent-joking/

Not a sentence I thought I'd ever type but go figure, it does briefly discuss the new album at the end of the feature which is now confirmed to be titled Sea Of Worry. Also can't remember if I already shared but Drowse's new one is called Light Mirror I saw a test press label on an Instagram post from Kyle Bates.

• 2 weeks later...

Drowse – Light Mirror

By The Flenser on April 2, 2019 in Uncategorized
Drowse_Light_Mirror-536x533.jpg

The simplest questions are often the most difficult to answer.

In April of 2018, Drowse’s Kyle Bates left his home in Portland, OR for an artist residency in barren northern Iceland. Much of Bates’ time there was spent in self-imposed isolation, giving him ample space to ponder the nature of solitude, and what it means to be “closed” or “open” to the world. Upon returning home, Bates worked obsessively. Maya Stoner, his longtime creative partner, sometimes came to sing, but recordings where mostly done alone. The dichotomy of his Icelandic musings materialized in a very real way as he neglected his personal relationships in favor of his art. While he was confronting his life-long fear of intimacy, and reconciling himself to a diagnosis of Bipolar 1, Bates found that the means he employed to conquer these obstacles—self reflection through art—carried with them an equal measure of misery. Light Mirror, Drowse’s second album for The Flenser, is a subtle exploration of these contradictory attitudes and their consequences that can be heard as an artifact of sonic self-sabotage.

Light Mirror falls within a lineage of overcast Pacific Northwest albums (think Grouper’s Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill), but finds Drowse pushing past its slowcore roots. The album’s prismatic sound reflects experimental electronic, noise pop, black metal, krautrock, and more through Kyle’s distinct song-worlds. The lyrics are ruminations on the idea of multiple selves, identity, paranoia, fear of the body, alcohol abuse, social media, the power of memory, the truths that are revealed when we are alone, and the significance of human contact. They were influenced by filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and poet Louise Glück, who both address self-contradiction. Mastered by Nicholas Wilbur (Mount Eerie, Planning for Burial) at the Unknown, the album showcases a striking maturation in sound. Light Mirror is Drowse’s most intimate and desolate work to date.

Drowse-Light-Mirror-Press-Photo-Kyle-Pol

The special edition includes a replica of the production journal Kyle Bates kept while recording Light Mirror alongside a short story written during the same time period. Interspersed with anxious personal digressions, the journal is a vivid glimpse into the artist’s process. The story speaks to the album’s themes and serves to deepen its world.

Light Mirror will be out june 7th 2019.

Pre-order.

Bandcamp.

Europe.

Available on White, Black or White with journal.

Subscribers are getting it on clear with silver 50/50 and the journal. Apparently that is limited to 150 so we now know the limit of the membership series. Haven't listened to the song yet as I'm waiting to give it my full attention.

Also All Your Sister's Trust Ruins versions are all being sent out but there was a glitch where not everyone was sent shipping notifications but Jonathan is fixing it.

Apologies for talking to myself so much in here.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Normally “eh” about split variants but that one looks kinda’ perfect.  Just not $200 perfect, for this guy.  Really dig the single and will likely throw down for the bone variant + literature.

I wouldn't advocate signing up to any subscription for just one artist, for me drowse and the have a nice life release were enough to me to throw down the $250 needed for the overseas sub but in previous years I've ended up buying 70-80% of their releases for a year as well as every Planning For Burial variant they have going so it made sense for me. I'm happy I don't have the hassle of fighting for the extras which I'm sure will be tough when Sea Of Worry actually goes up, the first Deathconsciousness flenser reissue crashed their shop and it was a dog fight to get that white.

The only album so far I'm kind of half and half on is the All Your Sisters but that may well grow on me, it's not objectively bad and they are on my radar just not fully delved yet. The Elizabeth Colour Wheel album is amazing and Vale from what I've heard is likely to hit the spot for me.

21 minutes ago, mesi said:

New song is great. Not sure yet if I will splurge on the version with the book though, their EU store prices are always pretty brutal.

I hear you, when they started doing screen prints last year I held back and never got round to picking up Echo Beds and Mamaleek in the end. I normally suck it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know anyone other than myself who both frequents the boards and is in this sub folks, there is however a public facebook group for the Flenser you could join and see if you have any luck there. Forward warning it has devolved into a bit of a chaotic meme generator but still you might find some more sane folk you could strike up trades with.

As far as I go I'd be a bad option for most of you to hit up anyway as I live on the septic isle of Britain and you'd get royally fisted by the postage, last record I sent over the pond was over $20 American just to ship. Also as my constant bumping of this thread probably indicates I'm overly enthusiastic about everything this label does and unlikely to part with any of it, even that All Your Sisters album I wasn't sure I'd like took one play through to stick to me.