Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Ugh.  Hot take here, but I just can’t get into W&R.  Even after seeing them live... they’re just not for me.  The club-exclusive variant sounds pretty heinous, too.  Haven’t seen the album art but Jon’s post above isn’t exactly inspiring me to run out and have a gander.

I still haven’t locked in a subscription yet, but if I do, you can bet I’d be willing to hook up someone with that one.

Album art n track link on the previous page if i formatted it right. I wouldnt imagine that one would be hard to punt at a grunt. They are one of the labels bigger draws. Ive even seen em play in the tate modern to a big crowd in London so my guess is therell be a lot of interest in this one.

1 hour ago, drewberinger said:

I love the album art 

I mean I get why it is the way it is but if I compare it to their previous album art its not as pleasing to the eye but I think thats what they were going for. Sure I'll love the music, each consecutive album has been another step up for me.

*EDIT*

Wasn't wrong new song rips. Really mellow for them but they do it so well.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Album art n track link on the previous page if i formatted it right. I wouldnt imagine that one would be hard to punt at a grunt. They are one of the labels bigger draws. Ive even seen em play in the tate modern to a big crowd in London so my guess is therell be a lot of interest in this one.

I mean I get why it is the way it is but if I compare it to their previous album art its not as pleasing to the eye but I think thats what they were going for. Sure I'll love the music, each consecutive album has been another step up for me.

That's why I love the art - it's supposed to be unpleasant and I love how vibrant and ugly the colors are at the same time

*brag* I just got an advance stream of the record so I'll post a few thoughts on it later *end brag*

13 hours ago, Rip said:

Never listened to these guys before but totally digging that song.  Damn.

They vary a lot from album to album but apparently this track is quite representative of the new album. Would highly recommend checking out their previous two albums for sure.

@Rip if you want I can see if I have any download cards tonight when I'm in. I know I definitely didn't use the one I got with want cos I bought it on cd too.

the new wreck & reference album is fucking up my shit - it's very unsettling and engaging. I think only 2-3 tracks have any type of screaming on it. 

"Eris Came To Me At Night" is probably the one of, if not the most unsettling songs you'll hear this year.

just want to reiterate that subscribing to this sub is a fucking steal with the quality of music you're receiving. I've always trusted The Flenser but this year has been even better than expected.

and we still have HANL to come.

Really liking the two W&R songs, fuck I might finally jump on the sub.

Waiting on my mystery box tom this week, I messaged them my Flenser collection and they promised no duplicates so that's super fucking cool of them to consider. Flenz the best. 

EDIT: goy my box, pretty happy with the contents:

Echo Beds - Buried Language (never listened to this but it slaps)

Lycus - MMXI

Low Estate - Covert Cult of Death

Braveyoung - Misery and Pride

Succumb - Succumb

Edited by museummouth

11 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

I'm seriously considering a subscription, mainly to get the Drowse limited. Anyone care to comment on the quality, presentation of these limited editions? Pictures? Are they the schnitzel?  

I can post photos of everything I've recieved thus far when im in.

Ok here goes @skycriesmary apologies for the lighting/lack of photography skills on display.

Image may contain: indoor

Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo (Red Blob in clear with screen printed dustcover)

Image may contain: 1 person

All Your Sisters - Trust Ruins (Red with black splatter and art booklet/zine)

No photo description available.

Vale - Burden Of Sight (Clear with Silver & Black Splatter)

Drowse - Light Mirror (Clear & Silver half and half with production diary zine/booklet)

As far as sound quality goes I'm probably not the most qualified to weigh in, my set-up is mid-tier and I've never been an audiophile. That said all of them play well, I don't think I've ever got a record that sounded shitty or off from this label.

10 minutes ago, mesi said:

Is that Drowse booklet/zine an interesting read? Not sure if I should go for it or just grab the regular press.

its 62 pages long and I find it interesting but its more of a production diary than the zine/books that come with Deathconsciousness or Giles Corey which were interspersed with lyrics art and fiction. It is mostly a reproduction of hand scrawled notes and it does also occasionally diverge into more ruminative segments about feelings and philosophy. It does go into depth as to explaining the themes as well as the compositional choices of each track. So if that's your bag maybe its worth the extra 8 euros?

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Ok here goes @skycriesmary apologies for the lighting/lack of photography skills on display.

Image may contain: indoor

Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo (Red Blob in clear with screen printed dustcover)

Image may contain: 1 person

All Your Sisters - Trust Ruins (Red with black splatter and art booklet/zine)

Vale - Burden Of Sight (Clear with Silver & Black Splatter)

Drowse - Light Mirror (Clear & Silver half and half with production diary zine/booklet)

As far as sound quality goes I'm probably not the most qualified to weigh in, my set-up is mid-tier and I've never been an audiophile. That said all of them play well, I don't think I've ever got a record that sounded shitty or off from this label.

Thanks for putting it all together! Hmm, I'm going to have to noodle on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally spaced updating this I haven't really been paying much attention to VC for a while, anyway 7" number one for subscribers is confirmed. DEETS:

Street Sects – Gentrification III: Death and Displacement

By The Flenser on June 10, 2019 in Uncategorized
Gentrification-III_1500x1500-536x536.jpg

Pre-order 7inch
Bandcamp
Pre-order 7-inch Europe

In January of 2014 Street Sects released their first single, “Gentrification I: The Morning After the Night We Raped Death”. The two song 7″ was the first of a planned five part series titled “Gentrification: A Serial Album”. In June of the same year they released “Gentrification II: Broken Windows, Sunken Ceilings”. After the second single was released, the band was approached by San Francisco based record label The Flenser, and the band switched gears to begin working on a full length for the label. One release led to another, and the final three installments of the Gentrification series were put on hold, indefinitely. Now, five years later, in the wake of the release of their more melodic and melancholic sophomore LP, “The Kicking Mule”, the band have returned to the serial album that started it all to pick up where they left off. “Gentrification III: Death and Displacement” isn’t so much a return to form (the bands’ style has always been in flux, and their approach to songwriting and production has evolved significantly in the past half-decade) as it is a return to the emotional intent that fueled those first two releases. The themes and stories addressed within the Gentrification series were never intended to be strict socioeconomic commentary, but rather the conversation and consequences surrounding Gentrification were meant to be a fractured and brutal lens through which we are given a voyeuristic look into the emotional perspectives of characters whose lives are maligned by alienation, exile, and economic peril. If crime is primarily a symptom of the underclass, then perhaps our prisons are filled with some our most valuable living lessons. These castaways, offenders and recidivists are a glaring example of the consequences of a systematic ideological violence inflicted by the haves upon the have-nots. The Gentrification series is not an indictment or an apology, it is an empathetic gritting of the teeth, clenching of the fist, and pulling of the trigger.

Track list:

1. Goodbye Recidivist Road
  2. Boxcars

I believe the sub variant is on blue.

• 3 weeks later...

So a vague as heck bump but from the horses mouth:

SERIES ONE UPDATE:

Series One secret record is in production. Digital will come before vinyl. Vinyl will be shipped late in the year.

Series One 7 inch number two is in production. News soon.

Series One 7 inch number three is now a 12 inch full-length LP.

Also this new Wreck & Reference album is so freaking good, if you dug the previews it will not disappoint.

Spaces still available on the sub.