Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I try to avoid piling onto the “mine shipped!” bandwagon, but I also got a shipping confirmation yesterday and I’m way more excited to hear this thing than I should be.  The 3 singles have all grown on me immensely and I’m dying to hear them in context with everything else.

It’s for sure the best HANL LP yet - it’s their most complete and varied work 

26 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

It’s for sure the best HANL LP yet - it’s their most complete and varied work 

More than Deathcon, even?  Big statement.  Runtime makes me think it’s lean and mean.  I can gauge from the singles that I think I’ll be revisiting it even more than Unnatural World, if I had to guess.  Deathcon will be tough to dethrone for me though.

38 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

More than Deathcon, even?  Big statement.  Runtime makes me think it’s lean and mean.  I can gauge from the singles that I think I’ll be revisiting it even more than Unnatural World, if I had to guess.  Deathcon will be tough to dethrone for me though.

Sea of Worry is definitely lean and mean - I think Deathcon will always be my favorite HANL but I think objectively this is better. 

On 10/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, drewberinger said:

Sea of Worry is definitely lean and mean - I think Deathcon will always be my favorite HANL but I think objectively this is better. 

I think I get where you're coming from.  The atmosphere of SOW feels so cohesive, even with the more "straightforward" post-punk tracks.  I think that says a lot when compared to Unnatural World, which had a consistent vibe but still feels a little disjointed after all this time.  The new versions of Trespassers W and Destinos are top-notch, too.  I can see where longtime HANL fans may have a few qualms with the production choices here and there, but as a whole I think I'll be revisiting this way more than UW in the long run.  My only gripe is that it feels criminally short, but I suspected that going into it.

22 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Album fucks

Can harp on the same as people have said it's criminally short, but cohesive. Trespassers W is my fav track so far. Production is a bit lofi but I bet these will translate awesome live. 

Ironically enough, the complaints I'm reading are 50/50 about the production.  Some people are scoffing and insisting that there's no reason HANL should sound as lo-fi or clipped as they do on this record – like it's a little too forced or something.  The other camp is critiquing tracks like Trespassers W for having too much polish and oomph, departing from their signature gloom-dream sound.  I'm personally on board with the variety and easy to please, I guess, because the entire thing works for me.  Science Beat is still an early favorite but there's a lot of good stuff crammed into those 47 minutes.

The [few] new tracks I was able to catch do indeed sound incredible, live.  For what that's worth.

it's a phenomenal album!

I noticed there's another variant up in the Flenser store and the HANL bandcamp: black/bone half half out of 500.  Does anybody know more about the variant? At a price of $27 it's more expensive than the other /500 variants. Then again it's not even listed in the official Flenser pressing info round-up on the very same store page. Maybe an exclusive of some kind?

10 minutes ago, phantasmatt said:

If only I had the funds + friends to experience Roadburn 2020... Maybe someday 😢

I've been wanting to go to Roadburn for quite a while and bought tickets when they went on sale, the Flenser stuff is icing on an already great cake for me.

Edited by jonrawks

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

2020 subscriptions will be up for the general public on Friday.

Beat me to it. Details released so far as follows:

• Midwife “Forever” LP
  • Mamaleek “Come & See” LP
  • Unannounced project (who will it be??)
  • Giles Corey “Hinterkaifeck”
  • Sprain DEBUT FULL-LENGTH
  • Series Two Membership Record (Exclusive 12inch not for sale elsewhere)
  • At least one 7inch of mysterious origin
  • An exclusive Flenser Pin and Patch
  • Bandcamp downloads sent to your inbox of all Flenser titles released in 2020
  • First crack at Flenser sales and promotion

Think I'm in it again.

There's also an extreme membership which includes the upcoming reprints of Giles Corey and the anniversary version of Planning For Burials - Leaving (which will now be a 3lp). Gonna go for the basic cos I don't need a second GC box n then chance it to pick up every variant of Leaving cos I'm just a silly person.

32 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

There's also an extreme membership which includes the upcoming reprints of Giles Corey and the anniversary version of Planning For Burials - Leaving (which will now be a 3lp). Gonna go for the basic cos I don't need a second GC box n then chance it to pick up every variant of Leaving cos I'm just a silly person.

I went with basic again, I'm with you and don't really need another GC box..  Kind of curious if the PfB 3LP will have the additional songs that the 2xCS had and maybe the extended version of Leave.  There's a good chance I'll order it separately.

1 minute ago, jonrawks said:

I went with basic again, I'm with you and don't really need another GC box..  Kind of curious if the PfB 3LP will have the additional songs that the 2xCS had and maybe the extended version of Leave.  There's a good chance I'll order it separately.

Not sure whats on it myself but whatever it is I'll get it. Those bonus tracks are amazing and I'd be happy with them. My big want to hear is a complete studio version of Splitting Our Collection but that's  probably not gonna happen. Doubt it will have the extended track cos that would be longer than a single side although I spose you could get it up to a point and have a lock groove?

6 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Doubt it will have the extended track cos that would be longer than a single side although I spose you could get it up to a point and have a lock groove?

I was thinking it'd be split across two sides, but who knows? haha  But I think you're right, the runtime of the tape set is still ~20 minutes longer than 6 LP sides would provide.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

New Giles and a Sprain full length is killer news.  Probably going to hop on that Leaving reissue, too.  And don’t necessarily hold me to it, but I have reason to believe we’re getting a sophomore release from Black Wing in 2020, too.

well Hinterkaifeck isn't new per se but it is its first physical release and I guess there's a chance they'll extend it as its only 13 mins in total and that leaves a hell of a lot of space on a 12".