Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

I must express some grief. I am fully a man of principle, so the color isn't the point. I believe I mentioned that I ordered the white variant of Revisionist when it was available and wanted to change it to orange after I saw the pic they posted of it. After emailing twice to no avail I had to go through tumblr in which they asked if it had gotten take care of. I said no, sent my order number and query, and got no reply other than 'The Flenser is now following you on tumblr'. Thought to myself, cool, must be a win-win situation.

Well the white showed up today. I'm sure they're busy to some extent, especially because there's probably no more than 5 people total working for the label. What I'm mainly upset about is the fact that there's all these somewhat subjectively irrelevant social media posts of screenshots from the Crow, Mickey Mouse, dead horses, etc.; hinting at perhaps spare time, downtime, what have you. Why not through any of that time couldn't they just acknowledge, "Oh okay they want orange instead of white. Done." Maybe it's easier said than done, but in all my time of collecting, no other label has acted this way with their customers.

TL;DR - I love the output of this label, but when you place an order make sure it's 100% exactly what you want.

I haven't had the best luck with their customer service myself.  To keep it short, I got the wrong LP in an order.  Not a big deal, mistakes happen.  Anyway, I emailed them a few times (and maybe tweeted at them or something) and never ended up getting a response.  The correct record did show up a few weeks later, but there was absolutely no communication.  This was 2-3 years ago, it's unfortunate to know things haven't changed much.

Yup.  Similarly, in the ELHR days that preceded Flenser, there was a major delay on one of my pre-orders.  I've since forgotten which album it was – doesn't really matter.  I shot the label several e-mails over the course of a month, and got no response as to where my record could be.  I did, however, get plenty of updates on what the wife was cooking for dinner via Instagram, and jogging times posted via Twitter.  Not the exact kind of "new record" information I was looking for.

The issue was eventually resolved with no further hiccups.  I have no animosity, and I probably sound like a total cry-baby, but I completely empathize where you're coming from, Surrogate.  It seems silly to spend the time on posting miscellaneous social media updates when there an issue that needs to be resolved.  You know; on behalf of a paying customer and what not.  Sorry if that sounds entitled.

Three weeks ago I placed an order for the new Botanist and King Woman represses.  A few days I placed an order for an orange Revisionist, too, noting that the quantities were getting low.  I got a shipping update a few days ago, thinking to myself "Finally.  They must be backed up.  Cool; can't wait to get those represses in."  But alas... Sannhet was waiting for me on my doorstep this afternoon.  Hard to complain, but I just don't understand.  I haven't been impatient enough to shoot them an e-mail, and I'm happy to have a new album to spin for the time being.  (Which, I regret to inform you, is pretty beautiful on that orange wax.)  But... yeah.  I feel your pain.

As ironic or selfish as this may sound, I'm glad the both of you could make me feel a little bit better about the situation since you two have gone through similar instances. I just want my Giles Corey and Leaving, might be the last money I throw at them for quite some time.

Shit Derek, enjoy that orange!

As ironic or selfish as this may sound, I'm glad the both of you could make me feel a little bit better about the situation since you two have gone through similar instances. I just want my Giles Corey and Leaving, might be the last money I throw at them for quite some time.

Shit Derek, enjoy that orange!

Thanks duder.  Album is really solid.  I think I'm already liking it more than Known Floods at this point.  I bet you could find an orange copy for cheap if you keep your ear to the ground.

And (double) yes to that Giles Corey and Planning For Burial hype.  Those can't happen soon enough.  Did you see the Leaving test press on Instagram?

Yup. Similarly, in the ELHR days that preceded Flenser, there was a major delay on one of my pre-orders. I've since forgotten which album it was – doesn't really matter. I shot the label several e-mails over the course of a month, and got no response as to where my record could be. I did, however, get plenty of updates on what the wife was cooking for dinner via Instagram, and jogging times posted via Twitter. Not the exact kind of "new record" information I was looking for.

The issue was eventually resolved with no further hiccups. I have no animosity, and I probably sound like a total cry-baby, but I completely empathize where you're coming from, Surrogate. It seems silly to spend the time on posting miscellaneous social media updates when there an issue that needs to be resolved. You know; on behalf of a paying customer and what not. Sorry if that sounds entitled.

Three weeks ago I placed an order for the new Botanist and King Woman represses. A few days I placed an order for an orange Revisionist, too, noting that the quantities were getting low. I got a shipping update a few days ago, thinking to myself "Finally. They must be backed up. Cool; can't wait to get those represses in." But alas... Sannhet was waiting for me on my doorstep this afternoon. Hard to complain, but I just don't understand. I haven't been impatient enough to shoot them an e-mail, and I'm happy to have a new album to spin for the time being. (Which, I regret to inform you, is pretty beautiful on that orange wax.) But... yeah. I feel your pain.

I've been dragging my feet on making an order, hoping to find something local. One of the main things I want is the new Botanist. This is making me a little cautious about maybe making an order through these guys.

I've been dragging my feet on making an order, hoping to find something local. One of the main things I want is the new Botanist. This is making me a little cautious about maybe making an order through these guys.

I mean, you'll get it.  Eventually.  It's always good to support the label directly - so they can afford to press stuff like Giles Corey and Planning For Burial, and ensure the packaging is worth the price of admission - but if you're in an absolute rush for some reason, I'd probably look around.

I think I'm already liking it more than Known Floods at this point.

And (double) yes to that Giles Corey and Planning For Burial hype.  Those can't happen soon enough.  Did you see the Leaving test press on Instagram?

To be honest, I still like Known Flood more. At least, Known Flood is more my cup of tea. Revisionist feels more accessible and pretty; which I don't mind because I usually don't like when bands make the same album twice. I liked the heaviness and more usage of tape samples and looping. IE: Invisible Walls <3

Yeah I did see that though! Leaving is one of the most personal records for me. Sometimes I don't want to believe I don't own it physically. I barely missed out on the 2CS that Thom released too.

As Derek mentioned, you will get your stuff.  The biggest concern is that if something is wrong, getting a flowing communication with them is difficult to impossible.  That experience I posted prior is the only 'bad' one I've had with them and I wouldn't even say it was really that bad, I was just left in the dark.  And I did get a free record out of it to boot.  I haven't experienced or heard anything about them so egregious that I would hesitate to order.

As Derek mentioned, you will get your stuff.  The biggest concern is that if something is wrong, getting a flowing communication with them is difficult to impossible.  That experience I posted prior is the only 'bad' one I've had with them and I wouldn't even say it was really that bad, I was just left in the dark.  And I did get a free record out of it to boot.  I haven't experienced or heard anything about them so egregious that I would hesitate to order.

I will say I ordered a black copy of B-d-N's III and was sent a clear. They sent me a free black copy and also Grayceon's limited variant, so they aren't completely apathetic to customer woes. I even got a cool little sticky note around Christmas time with some handwritten stuff on it; I like the personal touches.

Since they put more orange up I'll see about snagging one.

Went ahead and ordered that King Woman on oxblood. How is the packing on this album?

As in if it was safe and used a proper LP mailer?

Excellent. Flenser go above and beyond in their packing. They put the record in an LP mailer and then put that in a larger box with padding. The record will arrive in perfect shape. That's hiw o received the KW myself recently.

As in if it was safe and used a proper LP mailer?

Excellent. Flenser go above and beyond in their packing. They put the record in an LP mailer and then put that in a larger box with padding. The record will arrive in perfect shape. That's hiw o received the KW myself recently.

I actually meant like the sleeve and pressing quality. Sorry, I should have clarified haha.

I'm wanting to put together a list of my favorite metal albums at the end of the year, but I'm sincerely worried all my picks would be Flenser releases.

Are there any other labels consistently pumping out stuff of the same caliber?

Edit: I remembered Profound Lore. Any others?

I think a lot of what Sige is releasing is very strong.  I really like Colloquial Sound Recordings as well, but they do primarily tape releases.