Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

13 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

well Hinterkaifeck isn't new per se but it is its first physical release and I guess there's a chance they'll extend it as its only 13 mins in total and that leaves a hell of a lot of space on a 12". 

Came back to edit my post out of embarrassment but I can see it’s too late.  That’s on me; I’ve never checked out that EP.  Had a super delayed reaction just now where I felt like that name looked familiar.  I can even picture the art, now.  Whoops.  Makes me wonder if we’ll truly ever get new Giles.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Came back to edit my post out of embarrassment but I can see it’s too late.  That’s on me; I’ve never checked out that EP.  Had a super delayed reaction just now where I felt like that name looked familiar.  I can even picture the art, now.  Whoops.  Makes me wonder if we’ll truly ever get new Giles.

to be fair a lot of people missed it when it dropped and the Flenser only got it up on the streaming services last year so you're not alone. Its a great set of songs. The art is a picture of the Hinterkaifeck house with a bunch of runes overlaid, the story of the hinterkaifeck murders is seriously creepy too if that's your bag.

As far as new GC I feel your pain.

First Series Two Update:

Mamaleek

As previously mentioned, the first Flenser release of 2020 will be Mamaleek's new full-length, "Come & See."

On "Come & See" Mamaleek seek to weaponize the tropes of blues, jazz and black metal through an understanding of their respective formal structures. Known for flouting genre conventions, the band’s newest album marks yet another degree of separation from their metal roots. Here Mamaleek draws inspiration from post-war public housing—specifically Chicago's notorious Cabrini Green housing project—seeking to analyze the emotional impact of the spaces we occupy, the surreal forces behind the appearance of physical reality, and the residues they leave behind. "Come and See" is the band's third full-length LP for The Flenser, and their first release written and recorded with a full band.

Available on Red, Black with Series Two Exclusive being Milky Clear & Red Splatter. Mockups on the site.

EU: Throatruiner cannot post link at work

Listen here:

Series 2 Update

Midwife "Forever" LP (pre-order)

As Midwife, Denver based multi-instrumentalist Madeline Johnston plays what she describes as “Heaven Metal,” or emotive music about devastation. Johnston began developing the experimental pop project in 2015 while a resident of beloved Denver DIY space Rhinoceropolis. The venue/co-op started in the early aughts and nurtured local artists until 2016, when its doors were shuttered due to high tensions surrounding the safety of DIY spaces (not coincidentally following the horrific Ghost Ship fire in Oakland).  Residents were displaced around Denver and artists like Midwife were forced to start over.

However, it was at Rhinoceropolis that Madeline became close with Colin Ward, an artistic confidant and friend to whom her new album, Forever, is dedicated.  Madeline comments, “He was my roommate and was the embodiment of that place [Rhinoceropolis] in a lot of ways. We became really close friends there. I was always learning so much from him, about life and being an artist. He was an amazing teacher and friend to me.”  When Ward passed away unexpectedly in 2018, she turned towards sound to express the indescribable feelings that partnered with her grief. 

These mournful sounds ultimately developed into her new album, Forever.  The 6-song LP is a latticework of soft focus guitars and precise melodies–anthems of light piercing through gray clouds of drone. On the track “C.R.F.W.,” we hear Colin Ward reading a poem that speaks of a leaf falling from a tree in autumn: “imagine the way a breeze feels against your leaf body while you finally don’t have to hold on anymore.” Johnston responds with slowly radiating tones, branches stretching out to hold the leaf one last time.  “I wanted to write him a letter. I wanted to make something for him in his memory,” Madeline says of Forever

On Forever, Midwife combines ambient and dream pop into nuanced, reverb-soaked music that is equally haunting and moving.  Look for the album to be in stores on April 10th via The Flenser and see Midwife performing at Roadburn Festival in The Netherlands following its release, as part of the Flenser 10 Year showcase. 

Pressed on Black Vinyl, Mustard Yellow Vinyl, and Milky Clear with Mustard Yellow Color-in-Color Vinyl (Series Two Membership exclusive). Mustard Vinyl is also available with a limited edition Silk-Screened cover.

Tracklist:

1. 2018
2. Anyone Can Play Guitar
3. Vow
4. Language
5. C.R.F.W.
6. S.W.I.M

US: https://nowflensing.com/collections/pre-orders/products/midwife-forever-lp

EU: https://deathwishinc.eu/collections/the-flenser/products/midwife-forever

Also two t-shirts designs available to go with this. As always Mamaleek have no associated merch with their album.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

I think I’m digging that single.

Not gonna lie before Mamaleek & Giles Corey were confirmed I was still weighing up resubbing just for Midwife. Her debut Like Author, Like Daughter is just perfect. Highly recommend everyone checks it out. Think its OOP now and I broke my "No more pricey imports" rule for it. Was very happy when they announced she'd signed to the label.  Check it here if you like:

https://midwifemusic.com/album/like-author-like-daughter

Between this and the sprain debut it might be a more mellow year overall for the sub but I'm cool with that.

I’ll definitely check out that debut of hers.  Looks like OG copies are relatively cheap and it was just reissued in 2019, too.

I’m all for a fuzzed out slowcore roster this year, if that’s what it’s coming down to.  I have faith that they’ll diversify their genres enough, but I wouldn’t complain if the majority was a slow burn.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Swinging by to say I reall[lll]y enjoyed Like Author, Like Daughter on first listen.  On the prowl for a copy, I guess.  Also nudged me into throwing my hat into the ring for the new album.

If I hear anything about a 3rd run or a reasonable priced second hand one I'll drop you a line.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jhulud said:

I was going to ask about that DLP+Book. It’s just a reissue of the box set from a few years back, right?

yeah its been oop for a while and it took a while to come back due to the level of production the set takes. As far as I'm aware nothings remastered and the book remains the same. I half remember seeing something about the discs being housed in a gatefold inside the box this time but I'm sticking to my OG version.

6 hours ago, phantasmatt said:

I have the OG box as well, but knowing it’s a newly designed gatefold for the s/t... damn I kinda want that art on an LP sleeve 😩

Yeah I just reread the details onthe series 2 subscription n it definitely mentions a gatefold I have no idea which images theyll be using though. Could be the enemies list cd cover, the enemies list ltd edition cover, the first edition box cover or maybe even the pictures from the inner sleeves from the 1st edition just done on card. 

Also side note theyve revealed the b side to hinterkaifeck is an etching of the runes from the cover.

Giles presale is up now for Legrand members. So check your mail. I only grabbed the Hinterkaifeck as I have the other box and cdr but am mildly bummed about not being able to get the S/T with screenprinted cover. Just couldn't justify the membership costs this year. But if anyone ever wants to trade either membership Giles items for multiple membership LPs from last year let me know (HANL and W&R are the only ones I couldn't part with).

They had 4 options:

1) black lp

2) grimace purple lp - 250 copies in stock

3) splatter - 200

4) splatter with screenprinted cover - 40

Edited by fish

I didn't go extreme with the sub so I'll be getting the sub version of hinterkaifeck but not the self titled. A little bummed if they are actually doing special versions of re-issues just for the extreme subscription cos I was hoping to snag every variant of the 2020 reissue of leaving n this will preclude that.

I gave up on the legrand society about five years ago after enemies list got to the point where they stopped putting out albums and the flenser started picking up and releasing their catalogue. They never ended up following through on the club t-shirt did they? Last thing I actually got excited about with Legrand was that Perfect Shapes EP which sadly never got a physical release.

Edited by Stress On The Sky