Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

Please don't lump AmRep in with the nonsense Newbury is pulling. A ton of hard work goes in to what AmRep does and Haze pays the bands EXTREMELY well.

Just meant a thread for all of a labels releases as a response to someone wanting individual threads for each release.

I love Amrep,

not a big fan of Newbury but I i also don't think they are marketing towards my habit

Just meant a thread for all of a labels releases as a response to someone wanting individual threads for each release.

I love Amrep,

not a big fan of Newbury but I i also don't think they are marketing towards my habit

My mistake on that one. I thought you were comparing what AmRep does to Newbury at first. My apologies.

Oh and fuck Newbury Comics.

I'm honestly not looking to start a debate, but I can't help but feel confused for all the Newbury hate. I've been collecting vinyl since 2003, and I think Newbury is great. I totally agree that it's questionable/shady that they "find" leftover vinyl, and sell it for a higher price than originally listed. I think they should set a price and stick to it. On the other hand, complaining about their prices doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as you're basically complaining about the economic model of supply and demand. 

I'm betting that everyone here would love Newbury if they charged $15 per release, so it seems like all the hate is based on cost. Why does charging $25 - $80 per release bother so many of you? Because you realize that it only costs them $4 - $8 per record to make them? Because you can’t afford it? Because the original version is still available, and selling for $10+ less than their limited version? Considering their releases always sell out, doesn't that mean they are priced appropriately?

On a business level, wouldn't you be infuriated if you saw your product selling on ebay for double or triple what your customers paid only days after going on sale? Is it wrong for them to feel like they deserve a bigger piece? Anyone complaining about their prices can basically get every one of their releases for free by purchasing two copies and selling the extra copy on ebay the day you receive it. I personally don't do that, but only for pure laziness. There should be no moral problems with anyone, collector or business, making money by selling a record...it's not like they are selling bags of heroin. If I wanted to sell my copy of Takk by Sigur Ros (I don’t), I would definitely sell it on ebay for $200+. Does that make me a bad person? I could seriously use that kind of money. Selling it to someone on the board for half (or more) of its value out of the goodness of my heart sounds kind of…crazy.

We are talking about a really great, privately owned record store chain that has a huge selection, and offers special limited-edition runs of some pretty great stuff. Don't they deserve to make money?  Their products are not putting any other stores out of business. In fact, they are breathing life into an industry that is struggling to stay alive. Supporting a record store is very important. I mean, I love finding a great deal and all…I was totally psyched to purchase both Mineral re-issues for $12 each on Amazon, but there’s a big part of me that feels bad that I did not support the band or their label directly. Instead, I supported a huge corporation that is killing the competition. Isn't it nice that Newbury has found a way to make money in the music business?

All of you collect records, and most collectors enjoy owning a special edition...am I crazy to love what Newbury is doing?

Anyway, let the hate begin…

Why do you assume that your level headed, fair take on this would garner hate?  If anything, we all love Newbury now and are excited about how much more they can (hopefully) charge in the future, just to know that we are all part of something great and special that is happening.

I'm honestly not looking to start a debate, but I can't help but feel confused for all the Newbury hate. I've been collecting vinyl since 2003, and I think Newbury is great. I totally agree that it's questionable/shady that they "find" leftover vinyl, and sell it for a higher price than originally listed. I think they should set a price and stick to it. On the other hand, complaining about their prices doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as you're basically complaining about the economic model of supply and demand. 

I'm betting that everyone here would love Newbury if they charged $15 per release, so it seems like all the hate is based on cost. Why does charging $25 - $80 per release bother so many of you? Because you realize that it only costs them $4 - $8 per record to make them? Because you can’t afford it? Because the original version is still available, and selling for $10+ less than their limited version? Considering their releases always sell out, doesn't that mean they are priced appropriately?

On a business level, wouldn't you be infuriated if you saw your product selling on ebay for double or triple what your customers paid only days after going on sale? Is it wrong for them to feel like they deserve a bigger piece? Anyone complaining about their prices can basically get every one of their releases for free by purchasing two copies and selling the extra copy on ebay the day you receive it. I personally don't do that, but only for pure laziness. There should be no moral problems with anyone, collector or business, making money by selling a record...it's not like they are selling bags of heroin. If I wanted to sell my copy of Takk by Sigur Ros (I don’t), I would definitely sell it on ebay for $200+. Does that make me a bad person? I could seriously use that kind of money. Selling it to someone on the board for half (or more) of its value out of the goodness of my heart sounds kind of…crazy.

We are talking about a really great, privately owned record store chain that has a huge selection, and offers special limited-edition runs of some pretty great stuff. Don't they deserve to make money?  Their products are not putting any other stores out of business. In fact, they are breathing life into an industry that is struggling to stay alive. Supporting a record store is very important. I mean, I love finding a great deal and all…I was totally psyched to purchase both Mineral re-issues for $12 each on Amazon, but there’s a big part of me that feels bad that I did not support the band or their label directly. Instead, I supported a huge corporation that is killing the competition. Isn't it nice that Newbury has found a way to make money in the music business?

All of you collect records, and most collectors enjoy owning a special edition...am I crazy to love what Newbury is doing?

Anyway, let the hate begin…

I think a lot of people get bummed that they're not re-issuing stuff that actually needs a re-issue, but continue putting out stuff that is easily available at reasonable prices already. They then charge a $20-$30 premium on it for a few days, then jack the price up further.

I think the only hate you're going to get is from asking people if they can't afford something, as if everyone should be willing and able to lay down $30-$40 bucks for shit that they could get for $10 elsewhere. That comes off as elitist and makes you sound kind of like a prick.

I think a lot of people get bummed that they're not re-issuing stuff that actually needs a re-issue, but continue putting out stuff that is easily available at reasonable prices already. They then charge a $20-$30 premium on it for a few days, then jack the price up further.

I think the only hate you're going to get is from asking people if they can't afford something, as if everyone should be willing and able to lay down $30-$40 bucks for shit that they could get for $10 elsewhere. That comes off as elitist and makes you sound kind of like a prick.

I'm really sorry if anyone takes offense to the question on being able to afford the record. I meant it as an honest question, because it's probably the only real reason I could understand on someone hating the company.  I absolutely agree they should stick to the price they set originally. That rubs me the wrong way as well.  

I used to kind of not like Newbury but now I kind of admire what they are doing. They are able to create an artificial demand for records that are easily available at much cheaper prices solely based on the color of the record or the number on the back. Basically they are taking advantage of the market that look at records as collectibles and think they are some kind of long term investmemt, pretty much people who would be collecting baseball cards if it was 1989.

Of course that is a generalization based on the comments you see in the threads and I am sure there are a bunch of people who probably actually do buy these to listen to them.

I used to kind of not like Newbury but now I kind of admire what they are doing. They are able to create an artificial demand for records that are easily available at much cheaper prices solely based on the color of the record or the number on the back. Basically they are taking advantage of the market that look at records as collectibles and think they are some kind of long term investmemt, pretty much people who would be collecting baseball cards if it was 1989.

Of course that is a generalization based on the comments you see in the threads and I am sure there are a bunch of people who probably actually do buy these to listen to them.

i have a hard time shitting on someone else's business model, especially one that, from the outside, looks to  be successful and not hurting anyone.  They're providing a choice, you can buy from them for a premium and get something "special" or you can pick up the in-print black copy and enjoy the music.  There are a number of other business that will reissue something opp and stick a hefty price tag on it, providing a choice between their $35+ reissue or a $$$ secondary market original/oop/etc.