Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

Coltrane & Ellington is "only" $22, which is about as close as Newbs is gonna get to giving something away these days.

I hate sublime, best band.. psht!  worst band, tough to say.. important band? yes, unfortunately.  They paved the way for a bunch of copy cat crappy reggae/ska/bs radio rock for years to come.  

Less paved, more took an already-paved road, tore it up and left it as a bumpy gravel road.

uhg, want but its the only thing I want and I have a rule about only ordering more than one record when I order from newbury..  should be able to wait this out until something else pops up, like maybe a variant of the new modest mouse?

Coltrane & Ellington is "only" $22, which is about as close as Newbs is gonna get to giving something away these days.

Less paved, more took an already-paved road, tore it up and left it as a bumpy gravel road.

Way more then ska/reggae band. They were one of the few bands that bridged gaps between a lot of different genres. People who listened to hip hop listened to Sublime, people who liked punk, rock, punk rock listened to Sublime. People who liked Pop music listened to sublime. These dudes used hip hop samples, played straight up rock, played straight up punk rock, could play acoustic... they were versatile musicians. No one is saying you have to like them, there's so much hate on these forums. And rarely people begrudgingly give some kind of respect to certain bands while putting them down at the same time. All these Scremo/Emo/Pop Punk lovers on this forum love to hate an most don't even care about music, they just care about cool looking Hot Topic variants . 

Way more then ska/reggae band. They were one of the few bands that bridged gaps between a lot of different genres. People who listened to hip hop listened to Sublime, people who liked punk, rock, punk rock listened to Sublime. People who liked Pop music listened to sublime. These dudes used hip hop samples, played straight up rock, played straight up punk rock, could play acoustic... they were versatile musicians. No one is saying you have to like them, there's so much hate on these forums. And rarely people begrudgingly give some kind of respect to certain bands while putting them down at the same time. All these Scremo/Emo/Pop Punk lovers on this forum love to hate an most don't even care about music, they just care about cool looking Hot Topic variants . 

tumblr_liqh7j3N5X1qbgu16o1_500.gif

no one is saying that I have to like them but you are sure putting effort into convincing me why I shouldnt hate them.  I listened to them a lot in the late 90's, so much so that I grew to HATE them.. there are a couple bands whose music I will turn off if I hear it on the radio; The black keys, the sheepdogs and sublime... It just grates me.  So yeah, no one is saying that I have to like them but no one can tell me that I cant hate them.  Best band, not in my opinion.. an important band, sure.  

no one is saying that I have to like them but you are sure putting effort into convincing me why I shouldnt hate them.  I listened to them a lot in the late 90's, so much so that I grew to HATE them.. there are a couple bands whose music I will turn off if I hear it on the radio; The black keys, the sheepdogs and sublime... It just grates me.  So yeah, no one is saying that I have to like them but no one can tell me that I cant hate them.  Best band, not in my opinion.. an important band, sure.  

I can respect that.

tumblr_liqh7j3N5X1qbgu16o1_500.gif

GIFs  instead of valid written points on the other hand...  fucking lame as hell.

I can respect that.

GIFs  instead of valid written points on the other hand...  fucking lame as hell.

Ugh. Fine.

Great, another crossover band. Yeah, ok, they may have been an important band, in that they introduced people to genres that they normally wouldn't listen to. Personally, I'd rather listen to a band what does one genre well than a bunch of genres poorly to mediocre.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you about one band, or even a number of bands, doesn't mean they're full of hate. People have different ideas about what they enjoy listening to, and you saying people are full of hate because of that disagreement comes off as ignorant and whiny.

Fucking WAH. You're doing the same thing to those fans as you felt was being done to you. Don't be a cry baby.

You're bitching about variants in a Newbury thread.

TM & JC is way cheaper on...

...oh, so are all the others.

BUT TEH VAR-E-UNT!

not sure if ive thrown my 2cents into the mix on this whole "overpriced" in-print newbury exclusives.. so here goes.  I might get around to listening to a record once or twice a year.. some more than others, sure ... but for the average record in my collection it will only see the light of day a couple times a year, tops.  So if it will warm my plums just a little bit more to see a pretty coloured "exclusive" record slip out of the jacket, then its worth the extra $10 to me... 

Sublime is one of the worst bands of the 90's

Man, you gonna shave with that edge? Let's not forget that Radiohead started churning out their "Look how indie and profound I am" bullshit in the 90s, or that 311 and Sum 41 started recording in the 90s, or Limp Bizkit, the Dave Matthews Band... 

You don't have to like Sublime, and we can all agree that they had some pretty shitty songs and pretty shitty fans. I fuckin' hate Sublime fans. But like the Beatles, they're a band whose influence on music cannot be refuted. Look at what they did with hip-hop. A couple of talented musicians who churned out some great music (and some not-so-great music) for a few years and that's it. Like it should be. 

not sure if ive thrown my 2cents into the mix on this whole "overpriced" in-print newbury exclusives.. so here goes. I might get around to listening to a record once or twice a year.. some more than others, sure ... but for the average record in my collection it will only see the light of day a couple times a year, tops. So if it will warm my plums just a little bit more to see a pretty coloured "exclusive" record slip out of the jacket, then its worth the extra $10 to me...

I'm sure I've thrown my two cents in. I don't get to listen to my LPs as much as I like, being a new dad and all, but my records... some I've played only once... some none... can be without fancy colors... I can save $10 for the same sound... and I'll get the same number of likes on Instagram. Then again, I'm on odd one on VC... get this, I don't buy / collect variants. I get a copy of the album. I'm fucking mad, I tell you what.

But I'm not knocking those that do, I just don't get paying $10 on a color.

Man, you gonna shave with that edge? Let's not forget that Radiohead started churning out their "Look how indie and profound I am" bullshit in the 90s, or that 311 and Sum 41 started recording in the 90s, or Limp Bizkit, the Dave Matthews Band...

You don't have to like Sublime, and we can all agree that they had some pretty shitty songs and pretty shitty fans. I fuckin' hate Sublime fans. But like the Beatles, they're a band whose influence on music cannot be refuted. Look at what they did with hip-hop. A couple of talented musicians who churned out some great music (and some not-so-great music) for a few years and that's it. Like it should be.

What Sublime did... was not that big. It was done before.

Love, sir, that is what I got... but not for this theory that Sublime had much of an influence... at all.

I'm not going to test my opinion, though; I'm bound to get served.

Ugh. Fine.

Great, another crossover band. Yeah, ok, they may have been an important band, in that they introduced people to genres that they normally wouldn't listen to. Personally, I'd rather listen to a band what does one genre well than a bunch of genres poorly to mediocre.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you about one band, or even a number of bands, doesn't mean they're full of hate. People have different ideas about what they enjoy listening to, and you saying people are full of hate because of that disagreement comes off as ignorant and whiny.

Fucking WAH. You're doing the same thing to those fans as you felt was being done to you. Don't be a cry baby.

You're bitching about variants in a Newbury thread.

First off i'm not bitching about variants, I simply stated earlier that I don't think the Sublime reissues should be $45 and that it appears thought this forum people are constantly talking about HT variants.

Second, I don't care what you listen to or who you like to listen to. I'm not going to go around posting this band or that band sucks because this is a vinyl forum and all types of music come on vinyl. I just noticed that people posting on here seem to say that's not worth $45 dollars because that band sucks. Musical taste is subjective but most people would just rather say a band sucks because they don't have a valid argument other then the fact that they don't personally like that band (which is fine). If you think a band sucks, fine but at least give me a valid reason why they suck other then you not liking them.

Third i shouldn't hate on people who like scremo/emo or pop punk. Whatever, not my cup of tea. I can respect bands like Thursday and NFG even though i don't personally like them.

What Sublime did... was not that big. It was done before.

Love, sir, that is what I got... but not for this theory that Sublime had much of an influence... at all.

I'm not going to test my opinion, though; I'm bound to get served.

We can agree to disagree. The Beatles comparison was a misstep on my part - obviously they didn't have anywhere near that type of influence, but I think that some significant influence is difficult to disprove.

Hank Hill disagrees with Hank Hill

I tell you hwhat.

"They're good musicians" is such a weak defense of any artist. Who cares how technically impressive someone's songs are on paper if they fucking suck on record? You know who's a "good musician"? Kenny G. Yngwie Malmsteen. Michael Buble. All boring as fuck. I'd take The Ramones or Daniel Johnston over anything where fans defend them with "you have to admit, they really know how to play their instruments".