Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

meh. I really don’t understand all the hate for their newer albums. MM is by far my favourite band. I got into them after hearing good news, which isn’t my favourite now, but damn, those first four songs get me every time. I guess their albums are what people say about their children, they love them all (but still have a favourite).

I especially don’t understand people who hate on Moon & Antartica… yeah there’s some songs that are ok, but there are also some songs that I will blast and play over and over again… talking shit about a pretty sunset, a different city, alone down there, lives, etc. Their newer stuff is a lot more cleaned up and produced and has a little bit more of a positive vibe, which I kind of refreshing sometimes

I don't think I've ever once heard someone talk shit about The Moon and Antarctica.

I have.  Maybe not so much on here, but on other MM forums.  It probably still doesn't get as much hate as their newer albums though.  I think No Ones First is my least favourite even though it is technically just an EP.  I thought strangers was kind of a turn back to their older stuff and would say it exceeded my expectations.  Who knows... Interpol put out a mediocre album after Antics and then a horrible album after that and then came out with El Pintor, which was solid as hell.

I don't like Modest Mouse, at all, but I'm going to waste my time coming in talking shit while everyone is talking them up.

If I were going to say anything I would say, they aren't great, they aren't horrible. I can respect them as musicians, but they just aren't for me. And end it at that. The short version "just doesn't do it for me".

This was my one exception (have to be a fool to deny how catchy this song is):

Which Modest Mouse records have you checked out, Matt? I personally didn't think I liked them for the longest time because I had only been subjected to their later material, for years. (And even now, it still doesn't do a whole lot for me.) The earlier stuff hooked me hard over the last year or so, though.