Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

10 hours ago, simple_torture said:

Last year it was 40% off everything for the 40th anniversary; I can't imagine they'd go any higher, but we'll see (part of me imagines they might sink the discount a bit lower, like 35%)

Sucks they usually do it on a Friday I believe. I'll be working til 5 but I'll hit em up as soon as I get out. There's a few records I got my eyes on. Plus some figures and misc stuff. Thanks for reminding me tho, I'm gonna start a list. 

9 hours ago, pizza face said:

Sucks they usually do it on a Friday I believe. I'll be working til 5 but I'll hit em up as soon as I get out. There's a few records I got my eyes on. Plus some figures and misc stuff. Thanks for reminding me tho, I'm gonna start a list. 

Mayor Walsh has declared Saturday as "Newbury Comics Day" in Boston, so I think it's safe to say that it'll be on the weekend. 

A lot of their exclusives which I would expect to have sold out in a few weeks are still available. Is the vinyl market slowing or are they pushing on the numbers released? A few examples - Refused, L7, Spoon, Elliot Smith and Urge Overkill. I would expect these all to only hang around for a month or so but they are still there today.

Just wondering....

2 minutes ago, mondie said:

A lot of their exclusives which I would expect to have sold out in a few weeks are still available. Is the vinyl market slowing or are they pushing on the numbers released? A few examples - Refused, L7, Spoon, Elliot Smith and Urge Overkill. I would expect these all to only hang around for a month or so but they are still there today.

Just wondering....

In California at least, they tack on sales tax in addition to “meh” shipping rates, on top of already-bloated price tags.  What that equates to is $30-$37+ for a single LP, and even more for a double LP.  I could see people justifying those costs if the record was OOP or tough to come by, but a lot of folks will prefer to pay $21 PPD for a new, black copy that’s readily available on Amazon or Discogs than $48 PPD for a Newbury variant /500.  A lot of their variants turn out really nice, but when they average $35-$50 per release, it’s not terribly surprising that they stick around for so long.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

In California at least, they tack on sales tax in addition to “meh” shipping rates, on top of already-bloated price tags.  What that equates to is $30-$37+ for a single LP, and even more for a double LP.  I could see people justifying those costs if the record was OOP or tough to come by, but a lot of folks will prefer to pay $21 PPD for a new, black copy that’s readily available on Amazon or Discogs than $48 PPD for a Newbury variant /500.  A lot of their variants turn out really nice, but when they average $35-$50 per release, it’s not terribly surprising that they stick around for so long.

Not only that, but when Newbury started doing the retailer exclusive variants (around 2012/2013)  they and Urban Outfitters were pretty much the only game in town.

Now releases have Amoeba exclusives, FYE exclusives, European Dinked exclusives, Target exclusives, Bed Bath & Beyond exclusives, Jimmy's World of Tires: We Don't Just Match 'Em We Beat 'Em exclusives, Those Two Neighborhood Kids on the Corner Selling Lemonade and Colored Vinyl exclusives, etc, etc, etc...

The variant game is getting insane. I’m sure that has a lot to do with it. And yeah, Newbury prices are out of control. Even with their 20% off discount every couple of months, you’re never getting a deal. Paying full price is pretty much pointless. 

Also, their in stock quantity is always fluctuating so stuff that appears sold out sometimes comes back or numbers are beefed up after looking like they’re going to sell out. In the end, they’re just putting too much stuff out lately. 

2 hours ago, simple_torture said:

Email list just came through, tweet should be up soon: 20% off everything in-store tomorrow and Sunday. Nowhere close to years past. Got my hopes up. 

Hopefully it applies to sale items too because there were a few records I was eyeing last week. Also saw a pair of Jason Voorhees socks I want. This is upsetting as I was probably gonna spend $150 but now I'll probably spend about $30-40. Oh well, probably for the best. 

2 hours ago, rundmcc said:

2 Brand New NC Exclusive Colored Vinyl Releases!

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM (Charcoal Grey w/ White Smoke Vinyl - LTD/500)
The Wonder Years (Clear w/ Orange Splatter Vinyl - LTD/500)

Both out on 4/19 and available to order NOW. Enjoy!

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/exclusive-vinyl

-Carl@NewburyComics