Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

"They're good musicians" is such a weak defense of any artist. Who cares how technically impressive someone's songs are on paper if they fucking suck on record? You know who's a "good musician"? Kenny G. Yngwie Malmsteen. Michael Buble. All boring as fuck. I'd take The Ramones or Jim Johnston over anything where fans defend them with "you have to admit, they really know how to play their instruments".

I fixed that for you.

And hey, Kenny G make 'em seats moist.

"They're good musicians" is such a weak defense of any artist. Who cares how technically impressive someone's songs are on paper if they fucking suck on record? You know who's a "good musician"? Kenny G. Yngwie Malmsteen. Michael Buble. All boring as fuck. I'd take The Ramones or Daniel Johnston over anything where fans defend them with "you have to admit, they really know how to play their instruments".

Yo, don't deconstruct my argument like that, damn it. I said "Talented musicians who churned out good music," which is different. Or something.

Sublime's influence gave us bands like Pepper, Slightly Stoopid and the Kottonmouth Kings.

Yeah... thanks, Sublime.

10/10

I'm sure I've thrown my two cents in. I don't get to listen to my LPs as much as I like, being a new dad and all, but my records... some I've played only once... some none... can be without fancy colors... I can save $10 for the same sound... and I'll get the same number of likes on Instagram. Then again, I'm on odd one on VC... get this, I don't buy / collect variants. I get a copy of the album. I'm fucking mad, I tell you what.

But I'm not knocking those that do, I just don't get paying $10 on a color.

Yeah, new dad here as well... luckily Ive set up my home office to also be my listening room, still though, if i can get through 3 or 4 records a day I am doing well.

Part of my perspective comes from buying older collections, seeing boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of records that are essentially worthless.. then I look at my shelves and think about their "market value" steadily declining into nothingness.. i know i know, they're records.. they're precious and I should not consider their value (todays or in the future).. problem is that like any investment (which is how I see the procurement of any asset) I'd like to protect it as much as possible and if not maximize my returns, protect my losses.  10 years from now no one will probably be interested my black vinyl copy of the fleet foxes debut, maybe $5?.. but i might be able to get $10 or $20 back out of the clear newbury pressing.  

dont care too much about how many instagram likes it generates.

Part of my perspective comes from buying older collections, seeing boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of records that are essentially worthless.. then I look at my shelves and think about their "market value" steadily declining into nothingness.. i know i know, they're records.. they're precious and I should not consider their value (todays or in the future).. problem is that like any investment (which is how I see the procurement of any asset) I'd like to protect it as much as possible and if not maximize my returns, protect my losses.  10 years from now no one will probably be interested my black vinyl copy of the fleet foxes debut, maybe $5?.. but i might be able to get $10 or $20 back out of the clear newbury pressing.  

That's an interesting point, but I don't know how applicable it is. Consider that a lot of the dollar-store records you see were pressed in runs of several million, which contributes to their low resale value. The majority of records today (let's just imagine that there weren't 12,000 Aerosmith records pressed for RSD, for the sake of argument) are pressed in smaller numbers to appeal to this niche of collectors and audiophiles who choose to subscribe to this medium instead of digital music or music on CD. 

It will be a very long time before you come across a Fleet Foxes LP for a dollar, but you'll always be able to pick up a copy of the Who by Numbers for three bucks because of this.

I was joking about the Instagram thing. Anyway, I don't plan to sell my vinyl unless I hate something or need space...

Yeah, my records will be passed onto my kids, who will be forbidden to sell them (but probably will hock them to the pawn shop the day after my funeral).

Man, you gonna shave with that edge? Let's not forget that Radiohead started churning out their "Look how indie and profound I am" bullshit in the 90s, or that 311 and Sum 41 started recording in the 90s, or Limp Bizkit, the Dave Matthews Band...

You don't have to like Sublime, and we can all agree that they had some pretty shitty songs and pretty shitty fans. I fuckin' hate Sublime fans. But like the Beatles, they're a band whose influence on music cannot be refuted. Look at what they did with hip-hop. A couple of talented musicians who churned out some great music (and some not-so-great music) for a few years and that's it. Like it should be.

Shits in Radiohead and then calls Sublime influential?

How were they influential? The whole hip hop mixing with rock/punk/ska had been around for awhile. Who did they influence? Sugar Ray, other absolutely terrible late 90s bands.

I get why people like them their songs are incredibly catchy and chicks dig them but the importance people put on them is just so over the top. I am not going to say they suck or anything but nothing in music would be different if they didn't exist.

yeah, i wrote a bunch about radiohead and then deleted it.. not the time or place to get an internet argument.. 

and brusker du.. i agree with you, for the most part.  There was demand for those millions and millions of copies, there was demand for the 1000 copies of the newbury fleet foxes.. 

Yeah, my records will be passed onto my kids, who will be forbidden to sell them (but probably will hock them to the pawn shop the day after my funeral).

ouch, my 5 year old fights me over what record to put on, and some how she bought herself the nightmare before christmas hot topic vinyl the other day with my gift card. Now my 2 year old on the other hand will be trying to hock stuff, so her sister will be fighting her for it...at least i have 1 daddys girl.

If you want a colored version (but not limited), spend more than 50% less here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/Marvin-Gaye-Whats-Going-On-MOT-310C.shtml

I have this release and it sounds good.  Its pressed on a marbled peach color.

If you want a colored version (but not limited), spend more than 50% less here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/Marvin-Gaye-Whats-Going-On-MOT-310C.shtml

I have this release and it sounds good.  Its pressed on a marbled peach color.

Thanks. Picked up this version instead of the Newbury copy.

Just got an email about another fucking yellow vinyl exclusive but this time with Michael Jackson music.. I don't think people like yellow as much as they think

I love that this one comes with a free t-shirt...and they wont left you choose the size. If you're not a small, then fuck you!

I love that this one comes with a free t-shirt...and they wont left you choose the size. If you're not a small, then fuck you!

I thought the small t-shirt was pretty funny, considering Michael's legal woes and the alleged sexual assaults.

Hard to believe the producers of this package didn't chuckle a bit when they included it.