PO: Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What It Takes to Move Forward

Shelby

The bonus tracks on this are def my favorite part. So glad to get those with such a nice release.

And yea, gofundme is stupid. I know kids using it to pay their speeding tickets. This is a bit more legit than that but i definitely hate that site. Same w bands raising $10,000 to record their new album.

I'm really surprised that it has taken 8 days for this package to travel from Michigan to Minnesota. I'm not even sure if it'll go out for delivery today, so possibly a total of 9 days from Michigan to my house. Takes less time to get records from California!

Oh, USPS.  :wub:

Yeah I live in Indiana and it went from Michigan to Pennsylvania, back to Michigan, and then to Indiana. Haha. Kinda used to the USPS and their nonsense though.

I don't see the problem with them doing this. I know for a fact my LEGALLY REQUIRED insurance will barely pay for half my little car and vans definitely cost more. If fans want to see them tour they can donate, if they don't and don't mind not having the chance to see them they don't have to. They've never come down here so I didn't donate, simple.

Also, complaining about it taking two weeks when three or four people are packing more than a thousand orders is hilarious. I'm pretty sure you ordered it after most of us too (just got mine btw, love the new layout) chillax. Youu also don't know why they put the tour copies up as soon as they got home. Touring is expensive, maybe they were hungry or cold and needed the money you never know. This band actually isn't one to do this unless it was REALLY important. They straight up ignored a ton of people asking them to kickstart this repress because they couldn't afford to press it again. Their reasoning was very vocal and very similar to what you're saying without being nearly as mean, this isn't a light move for them to do this so it must've been straight up impossible to pay it themselves.

I don't see the problem with them doing this. I know for a fact my LEGALLY REQUIRED insurance will barely pay for half my little car and vans definitely cost more. If fans want to see them tour they can donate, if they don't and don't mind not having the chance to see them they don't have to. They've never come down here so I didn't donate, simple.

Also, complaining about it taking two weeks when three or four people are packing more than a thousand orders is hilarious. I'm pretty sure you ordered it after most of us too (just got mine btw, love the new layout) chillax. Youu also don't know why they put the tour copies up as soon as they got home. Touring is expensive, maybe they were hungry or cold and needed the money you never know. This band actually isn't one to do this unless it was REALLY important. They straight up ignored a ton of people asking them to kickstart this repress because they couldn't afford to press it again. Their reasoning was very vocal and very similar to what you're saying without being nearly as mean, this isn't a light move for them to do this so it must've been straight up impossible to pay it themselves.

Amen.

$10k isn't even that much for a van.

Maybe it's just the difference from insurance payout and new van's cost.

Or maybe they are just buying a relatively cheap van.

Yeah, I understand no one is being forced to donate and all that. And usually you can only get a somewhat comparable vehicle thanks to insurance.

This just seems like a symptom of a generation who decide, "Hey, I want this, but can't/don't want to pay for it myself...maybe if I ask other people for money, they'll pay for it for me.

Kickstarter I at least get. You ask people for money, you give them something in return, even if that thing is worth less than they're giving you.

Y'know, maybe the do all have other jobs, too. And yeah, they hit a patch of bad luck. But every person in a band that I've ever known who toured has worked their ass off at other jobs while writing and recording music and used that money to fund things themselves.

Yes, they were sometimes cold and hungry. Hell, sometimes I'm cold and hungry.

As far as waiting two weeks for the records, it really doesn't bother me that much. It's a bummer that it wasn't sent out before tour, but I understood that because shit happens and the car in their house/whatever.  But. The dude that runs STB records works alone and packs up 500-800 records in a matter of days because he cares about his customers, and also is the raddest dude ever.

I know that part of my problem with this is that if I don't get my job done in a timely manner, I'm fucked. For whatever reason, people don't hold bands to any kind of standard when it comes to this sort of thing, though, and that upsets me more than I actually care about ever getting this record.

I could have a car smash into the funeral home, my personal home, and I could have a death in the family, and my car could break down, etc. etc. ad nauseum, all at once, but if I don't have your person ready for a funeral, guess what? I'm fired, the company returns the families money and most likely we get sued.

So I don't think it's absurd for me to expect that they get back from tour, take a day, and then start packing those records and shipping them immediately, rather than waiting a week, and pack those shits up until they're all done.

$10k isn't even that much for a van.

I could walk down the street and buy a van right now that would get me across the country and back for $2000 or less. This is what I'm saying. Are they buying a brand new fucking van, traveling in style? What happened to 5 person bands packing into a fucking hatchback, sticking their equipment into a trailer, and actually being rad?

Also, a lot of this energy I'm giving you guys is just because I'm trying to get amped up to argue my case with our regional manager about getting a raise. I'm not as pissed about this as I sound...but it does bother me to an extent.

I could walk down the street and buy a van right now that would get me across the country and back for $2000 or less. This is what I'm saying. Are they buying a brand new fucking van, traveling in style? What happened to 5 person bands packing into a fucking hatchback, sticking their equipment into a trailer, and actually being rad?

Also, a lot of this energy I'm giving you guys is just because I'm trying to get amped up to argue my case with our regional manager about getting a raise. I'm not as pissed about this as I sound...but it does bother me to an extent.

So what? They don't want to spend $2k on a 15+ year old van with ~200k-300k miles on it and have to keep putting money into it. $10k isn't going to get them a brand new van. Browsing through my craigslist, it seems like the newest they could get would be about a 2008 with ~50k miles on it. At least then, they won't have to have the whole thing checked out every few months just to keep it functioning.

Yeah, I understand no one is being forced to donate and all that. And usually you can only get a somewhat comparable vehicle thanks to insurance.

This just seems like a symptom of a generation who decide, "Hey, I want this, but can't/don't want to pay for it myself...maybe if I ask other people for money, they'll pay for it for me.

Kickstarter I at least get. You ask people for money, you give them something in return, even if that thing is worth less than they're giving you.

Y'know, maybe the do all have other jobs, too. And yeah, they hit a patch of bad luck. But every person in a band that I've ever known who toured has worked their ass off at other jobs while writing and recording music and used that money to fund things themselves.

Yes, they were sometimes cold and hungry. Hell, sometimes I'm cold and hungry.

As far as waiting two weeks for the records, it really doesn't bother me that much. It's a bummer that it wasn't sent out before tour, but I understood that because shit happens and the car in their house/whatever.  But. The dude that runs STB records works alone and packs up 500-800 records in a matter of days because he cares about his customers, and also is the raddest dude ever.

I know that part of my problem with this is that if I don't get my job done in a timely manner, I'm fucked. For whatever reason, people don't hold bands to any kind of standard when it comes to this sort of thing, though, and that upsets me more than I actually care about ever getting this record.

I could have a car smash into the funeral home, my personal home, and I could have a death in the family, and my car could break down, etc. etc. ad nauseum, all at once, but if I don't have your person ready for a funeral, guess what? I'm fired, the company returns the families money and most likely we get sued.

So I don't think it's absurd for me to expect that they get back from tour, take a day, and then start packing those records and shipping them immediately, rather than waiting a week, and pack those shits up until they're all done.

I can guarantee you wouldn't have said anything if you had your record already. CYLS is one of the biggest labels in the scene that is run by a constantly touring band, all of your comparisons just don't work. I'm sorry for recommending this album to you, please stop shitting on my thread.

I can guarantee you wouldn't have said anything if you had your record already. CYLS is one of the biggest labels in the scene that is run by a constantly touring band, all of your comparisons just don't work. I'm sorry for recommending this album to you, please stop shitting on my thread.

4QvuWWI.gif

giphy.gif

Not to play devil's advocate, but is this band also having a merch sale to help with the costs or only doing a crowdfund?

They made their digital catalogue cheap. I don't think they have cut prices for physical merch, but it's not like they charge a lot for anything. I think that hardback GN is the most expensive thing they have @ $25.

I got my copy today. Little bummed that the records were shipped inside the jacket because there's a seam split. It got pretty dinged up on the corners and spine from not being packaged up well. The large flaps were hardly touching and the sides were bowed out, so the contents weren't completely protected. "You Will Eventually Be Forgotten" is in perfect shape. Kinda weird how that happens.

Sounds FANTASTIC though. Really happy to have this in my possession.

Last I'll say on this, but I guarantee I'd still be shitting on their gofundme even if I had my records. The two things are unrelated in my mind.

Still <3 you Shlebs, and I wish the band all the best, I just don't agree with their decision on the gofundme.

I was kind of thinking to myself "Why did they do this?" but you put it well when you said that "What is missing is compassion". I was a little put off by the tone of the gofundme, but I'm new to liking the band and personally can't imagine being in their shoes. My parked car was hit by a drunk driver without insurance and insurance uses tons of loopholes to stick you with the cost. I think maybe what happened is that serious business is perceiving a lack of details as exploiting fans, when the lack of details may be the pain the band feels regarding having to ask for money to save their little enterprise. 

I don't think bands are protected, bands fail all the time. Are some bands exploitative? At a Taylor Swift/ One Direction level, I'd say yes. on the small indie side of things, not usually.