PO NOW: ...Is A Real Boy 10th Anniversary Box Set

As I don't have a horse in this race...

It's a cash grab because it's a $60 deluxe 10" set available in four different gimmicky colors. It's on four 10"s for no other reason than to create more profit. They could have pressed a double LP for half the production price and sold it for $25, but they didn't. It's really a huge slap in the face to most fans and it's a huge part of what's wrong with the record industry.

The people buying the most physical music and keeping labels in business are the people buying vinyl. These shitty vinyl labels are trying to take advantage of the only people giving a shit and eventually more people will figure it out and just stop giving in. There's a minority of people who really like this 4 x 10" stuff, and a bet a lot of them already have the original pressing. The majority of people want to listen to a record on their favorite format and not be raped to have to do so.

It's why I'm a fan of how third man does business. Offer a limited, gimmicky-as-fuck edition for people who love that stuff, and offer a no-frills, good sounding, black record at a reasonable price that doesn't go out of print.  

Totally agree.  It's like they went on eBay, discogs, etc, and saw what the other presses are selling for, and decided to make something comparable in price, but not in quality.

Guys, they're bringing in an extra $7000 from test presses alone. On top of however much profit is rolling in from the packages themselves.

Gravy train.

OH MY GOD! $7000?!?! That's so much money for a company to make. They'll probably all be able to retire because of that.

Guys, they're bringing in an extra $7000 from test presses alone. On top of however much profit is rolling in from the packages themselves.

Gravy train.

If only they'd use that money to do something worthwhile...like repress "Hi, Everything's Great" or press "Let Me Come Home"

OH MY GOD! $7000?!?! That's so much money for a company to make. They'll probably all be able to retire because of that.

Yeah...not the point. They are probably going to make a lot of dough off of this release as a whole. I'm just pointing out a figure on the 100 test presses. Also to comment on your previous post, I do think this is kind of cool. i just don't want to pay $62 for something I will be annoyed with listening to in 5 months (+/-) because there will be approx. 3 songs on every side. So I'm  buying a 2LP off of someone else. Problem solved.

Edit: I'm not criticizing them for making money. It's kind of the point. It's just petty how they are going about it. 100 TPs is basically just a shitty looking limited variant.

Gravy train.

You do realize that isn't $7000 profit....these things cost money to make.  Then the money goes to the band, label, etc....

Sure Max can probably buy a few extra comic books, but why shouldn't an artist be able to make some money?   Or are you also posting on each of Jay-Z's new records because he is too rich too?

You do realize that isn't $7000 profit....these things cost money to make.  Then the money goes to the band, label, etc....

Sure Max can probably buy a few extra comic books, but why shouldn't an artist be able to make some money?   Or are you also posting on each of Jay-Z's new records because he is too rich too?

Edit: I'm not criticizing them for making money. It's kind of the point. It's just petty how they are going about it. 100 TPs is basically just a shitty looking limited variant.

Yeah but when you press a record each additional test press only costs around $1. So charging about $60 extra for 4 test presses leaves them with a net profit of about $55 which is pretty ridiculous. 

It's flabbergasting to me that anyone could even try to justify this existing, much less paying $55-130 of their own money to own it. This is the exact same tracklisting as the original 2xLP (including Walk Through Hell, not sure what's confusing about its inclusion) spread out over FOUR TEN INCH RECORDS. If you want to listen to this whole thing, you'll be flipping sides seven times for like an hour of music. Not to mention you'll be doing so a minimum of 5 months from now.