PO: Isis - Panopticon (REMASTERED)

Evoke

9 minutes ago, twatay said:

Yea wow, all versions on Ipecac's webstore sold out 😲

I don't know when it happened specifically, but when Isis teased these reissues last week, someone in the comments claimed that they'd love to own a copy of this record but they're all $150 on Discogs.  I thought he was being dramatic until I checked for myself.  I didn't go through every single variant of every press but checked numerous listings (new and old) for both albums, and yup.  $120-$150 both being asked, and also in the sale history.  Even 2014 copies.  Glad to see Isis getting the demand that these records deserve but suffice to say, a lot of people have been itching to own these for <$100 I'd guess.

Wavering Radiant sounds so good and as far as I know is still kind of relatively available. Now I’ll wait patiently to get a copy of ITAOT, should be any day now r-right? I just want everyone that wants a copy of these releases to get one, because everyone needs to fully experience the perfection that is Aaron Harris’ snare sound. 

2 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Wavering Radiant sounds so good and as far as I know is still kind of relatively available. Now I’ll wait patiently to get a copy of ITAOT, should be any day now r-right? I just want everyone that wants a copy of these releases to get one, because everyone needs to fully experience the perfection that is Aaron Harris’ snare sound. 

Wavering Radiant has been a bastard for me, had two copies from new and they both were scratched up, so would be great if they do new ones!

7 hours ago, solitaryreign said:

They say now it’s sold out! I can’t fucking believe it… How much did they allocate for Europe, like 100?

I wanted to order these when I come home from work, what a shitshow. 

If this is any help, this Danish store has the 1700 variants and cheap EU shipping: https://imusic.dk/music/0689230023319/isis-2021-panopticon-lp

Hopefully someone shares info about the new mastering and why they decided to remaster these again.

Edited by Portsi

2 hours ago, Portsi said:

If this is any help, this Danish store has the 1700 variants and cheap EU shipping: https://imusic.dk/music/0689230023319/isis-2021-panopticon-lp

Hopefully someone shares info about the new mastering and why they decided to remaster these again.

Thanks! Better than nothing I guess… I see myself ordering more often from imusic.dk these days. Great selection and shipping costs. 

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Should be.  1,700 is still a pretty small run to be allocated for worldwide indie.  I'd start checking tabs for Rough Trade, Zia Records, Luna Music, and-or Bull Moose if you've got the store credit.

Unrelated but to anyone who owns a copy of the OG Panopticon – was that jacket flat or glossy?  The new Panopticon art they've been using is cool – I'm fine with it, personally – but it's one of the absolute glossiest record jackets I own.

it's not new artwork, this is what i've always known to be Panopticon's cover.  Even some 1st presses had it, and it was on the inside of the other cover art.  It was also the cover art for the original CD release.

https://www.discogs.com/Isis-Panopticon/release/377605
https://www.discogs.com/Isis-Panopticon/release/1021003

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

it's not new artwork, this is what i've always known to be Panopticon's cover.  Even some 1st presses had it, and it was on the inside of the other cover art.  It was also the cover art for the original CD release.

https://www.discogs.com/Isis-Panopticon/release/377605
https://www.discogs.com/Isis-Panopticon/release/1021003

Think you've misinterpreted my post.

“The new Panopticon art they've been using is cool – I'm fine with it, personally – but it's one of the absolute glossiest record jackets I own.”

Wow. Slept on this and missed out. Thought for sure black would still be hanging around today. I wonder if Ipecac sold all 1700 or if they only allocated a portion for their online store and are possibly holding some back to send to retail.

Its hard these days to bring myself to spend anymore money on new variants of albums I already own several variants of.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Wow. Slept on this and missed out. Thought for sure black would still be hanging around today. I wonder if Ipecac sold all 1700 or if they only allocated a portion for their online store and are possibly holding some back to send to retail.

Its hard these days to bring myself to spend anymore money on new variants of albums I already own several variants of.

Thinking the 1700 is mostly indie/record store stock. Stock levels for them at time of drop on Ipecac were less than 300. They just both popped up on Rough Trade: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/isis/panopticon

1 minute ago, dapeebs said:

Thinking the 1700 is mostly indie/record store stock. Stock levels for them at time of drop on Ipecac were less than 300. They just both popped up on Rough Trade: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/isis/panopticon

Thanks. I saw a post from the Isis the band FB page that said there will be copies of each in retail stores globally.

But damn, $35 was already a tough sell and now RT is jacking them up to $45.

The degree to which the recent global crises have seen prices on all things across the board rise is really unnerving.

***UPDATE***

I just heard back from Aaron Harris.  These are NOT new remasters.  They are both the remasters from 2014, just new lacquers being cut. 

His quote is as follows:

"It's the remastered version from a few years ago but we had new lacquers cut by Matt Colton"

On 7/27/2021 at 9:11 AM, Derek™ said:

Think you've misinterpreted my post.

“The new Panopticon art they've been using is cool – I'm fine with it, personally – but it's one of the absolute glossiest record jackets I own.”

No i got that, i was addressing what seemed to be your unfamiliarity with this blue sky-shot cover. 

2 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

***UPDATE***

I just heard back from Aaron Harris.  These are NOT new remasters.  They are both the remasters from 2014, just new lacquers being cut. 

His quote is as follows:

"It's the remastered version from a few years ago but we had new lacquers cut by Matt Colton"

No i got that, i was addressing what seemed to be your unfamiliarity with this blue sky-shot cover. 

1. Damn, what a bummer.  Wonder where that confusion stemmed from in the product description.

2. I've always considered the sky to be the OG art, and the ominous dark cover the "new" art.  That's the only one I currently own across a few copies, and they're all glossy as hell.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

1. Damn, what a bummer.  Wonder where that confusion stemmed from in the product description.

2. I've always considered the sky to be the OG art, and the ominous dark cover the "new" art.  That's the only one I currently own across a few copies, and they're all glossy as hell.

Word yeah I didn't even know there was a different cover than the sky, because when it came out that's the only cover I ever saw.  The ominous one is also original, they seem to have been used concurrently in different markets upon release. 

I do believe both of my copies were super glossy.  I sold my OG 1st press black last year because it was pressed off-center and drove me fucking crazy with the pitch rising and falling.  Some dude in Australia gave me $150 or so for it, so I said sure! 

11 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The ominous one is also original, they seem to have been used concurrently in different markets upon release.

No shit?  I've only ever spotted variations of the sky art... streaming platforms, Amazon, CDs, etc.  If that other versions was around just as long, I had no idea.  Can't believe you got so much for a spotty copy of Panopticon, that's wild to me.

Just now, Derek™ said:

No shit?  I've only ever spotted variations of the sky art... streaming platforms, Amazon, CDs, etc.  If that other versions was around just as long, I had no idea.  Can't believe you got so much for a spotty copy of Panopticon, that's wild to me.

I was up front about it, but the dude didn't care.  He wanted it. 

And yeah if you check discogs, Robotic Empire used the creepy person photo for the 1st USA press, while Trust No One used the sky image for the first press in Europe.  USA CD's had the sky image though through Ipecac. 

I wish they'd told us its the same remaster files though, especially given that Panopticon's original analog master tapes were stolen/lost, so we can never get an original remix or anything.  Hopefully the new lacquers mean they sound better. 

I have the 2014 remaster, and people are asking... a lot haha.  I do like having both versions of an album, if it's remastered so I may have to pony up and buy an OG again.  That off-center shit was maddening though. 

Having few different Panopticon variants I can confirm that:

- "sky" art was previously  used only in EU vinyl pressings (Trust No One);

- all US pressing I have are kinda glossy (with last press being super-glossy), while EU covers are everything but glossy;

- I do not have "reverse-board" variant, so cannot say anything about it.

spacer.png

Edited by seku