Plastic Outer Sleeves

Kdawq

Hey everyone I'm fairly new to the whole buying vinyl and I have a question about outer sleeves for the veteran collectors out there, I was just wondering if they actually do protect your records or do a lot of collectors go "sleeveless" when storing your vinyl on the shelf? My self, I'm finding it a pain to put a record back on the shelf because the plastic is a bit too big for the album to slip into causing it to bunch.

Hey everyone I'm fairly new to the whole buying vinyl and I have a question about outer sleeves for the veteran collectors out there, I was just wondering if they actually do protect your records or do a lot of collectors go "sleeveless" when storing your vinyl on the shelf? My self, I'm finding it a pain to put a record back on the shelf because the plastic is a bit too big for the album to slip into causing it to bunch.

Bunching? Sounds like the sleeves are too thin. There is a thread on the Equipment sub forum about LP sleeves that I think links to some good quality sleeves.

If you can't find it, just google Sleeve City 5.0 mil outer sleeves or 2.5 mil outer sleeves. Both are awesome, super clear, and firm enough to not "bunch" when you are slipping the record in.

The only downside is they are pretty slick and you won't want to stack LPs in these sleeves horizontally...as they're likely to slide off each other. Once I laid down a stack, turned around, and heard a crash- the top LP had slid off the stack and fell off the table. Stack them vertically as you should be doing and the slickness shouldn't be a prob.

Unless you want super budget sleeves, avoid the cloudy thin sleeves you usually get from record stores. Those will bunch and they are only a real good option if you want to spend as little as possible.

I sleeve all of my records and haven't had a problem with bunching. I have a bigger bunching issue with mofi inner sleeves.

Sleeve City makes MoFi equivalents with a thicker paper backing that prevents bunching (they also don't have that weird MoFi powder on them). They are called the Diskeepers I think.

I always have sleeves on my records.

It's funny because I haven't bought sleeves yet. I just use the ones that are given to me. I do have a couple that don't have any sleeves, because I usually take the sleeves from records that I like, but don't absolutely love and I put the sleeves on the records that I absolutely love.

(:

I always have sleeves on my records.

It's funny because I haven't bought sleeves yet. I just use the ones that are given to me. I do have a couple that don't have any sleeves, because I usually take the sleeves from records that I like, but don't absolutely love and I put the sleeves on the records that I absolutely love.

(:

Ha! I'm in pretty much the same boat just because I haven't bought sleeves in so long. I like having my stuff sleeves though, for sure.

Bunching? Sounds like the sleeves are too thin. There is a thread on the Equipment sub forum about LP sleeves that I think links to some good quality sleeves.

If you can't find it, just google Sleeve City 5.0 mil outer sleeves or 2.5 mil outer sleeves. Both are awesome, super clear, and firm enough to not "bunch" when you are slipping the record in.

The only downside is they are pretty slick and you won't want to stack LPs in these sleeves horizontally...as they're likely to slide off each other. Once I laid down a stack, turned around, and heard a crash- the top LP had slid off the stack and fell off the table. Stack them vertically as you should be doing and the slickness shouldn't be a prob.

Unless you want super budget sleeves, avoid the cloudy thin sleeves you usually get from record stores. Those will bunch and they are only a real good option if you want to spend as little as possible.

Sleeve City 5.0mil all the way. Everything said above is true, and they don't yellow - also, watch it or the edges will slice your fingers like a paper cut.  I have about 1/2 of mine replaced, gradually getting there.  All of my listening copies get put in the Disckeeper rounded bottom inner sleeves (and the original sleeve goes back into the jacket pocket(s)) - helps me keep track of those that still need to be cleaned as well.

Sleeve City is the bomb for inners.  I used the Ultimate Audiophile Inners.  Smooth as fucking velvet.  For outers, I use Bags Unlimited.  They have more size and thickness options than Sleeve City.  I recommend using polyethylene bags over polypropolene.  PE has some advantages over PP.  It is more supple so the bags won't get as stiff and it will be less likely to scratch the vinyl or jacket.  It is more static resistant so it should attract less dirt and dust.  It has better light blocking ability.to reduce fading of the jackets.

As far as bunching, are you top loading or side loading your jackets?  I always put the jacket in so the top of the jacket is towards the sleeve opening.  I get less bunching that way.  I also recommend putting the inner sleeve with the vinyl in separately from the jacket.  That way, you can remove the LP without taking the jacket out.

Sleeve City is the bomb for inners.  I used the Ultimate Audiophile Inners.  Smooth as fucking velvet.  For outers, I use Bags Unlimited.  They have more size and thickness options than Sleeve City.  I recommend using polyethylene bags over polypropolene.  PE has some advantages over PP.  It is more supple so the bags won't get as stiff and it will be less likely to scratch the vinyl or jacket.  It is more static resistant so it should attract less dirt and dust.  It has better light blocking ability.to reduce fading of the jackets.

As far as bunching, are you top loading or side loading your jackets?  I always put the jacket in so the top of the jacket is towards the sleeve opening.  I get less bunching that way.  I also recommend putting the inner sleeve with the vinyl in separately from the jacket.  That way, you can remove the LP without taking the jacket out.

Another excellent post from this guy. I agree with everything you said.

On a related note, you're becoming one of those users who, if I see you've posted I pop in just to see what you said. Keep it up, brotha.

Sleeves always. I'm sure I'll get hell for it, but I buy the thin sleeves that don't cost too much on Amazon. I don't have any trouble with them bunching up or anything

I bought a bunch of those and have had zero problems with them. They're not as nice as the bunch I bought from clearbags a few years ago, but way less money