I for one was very happy with The Greatest Hits of John Denver, Herschel Benardi sings Fiddler on the Roof, and the Cleveland School for the Deaf sing The Messiah! All of the them came in somewhat playable condition!

For real who thought this was going to be a reliable service? Netflix when it had a DVD thing was still very spotty when it came to the quality of the DVD. If company wanted to make a profit they had to find dollar records. Yes some of them are good albums, but at the condition they are in why would you want them.  

Watch this until the end.... she goes from pretty happy to cursing mad..

What an idiot. Most new records have that today and it does not affect the playback. Also the 'paint' was probably leftover white pellets from a previous press.

Also not to defend VNYL, but this chick is out of her mind.

Maybe it's me but about 95% of new albums I buy have some kind of handling marks, small surface defects, or paper sleeve residue. It doesn't bother me but it makes me wonder how insane I would make myself if I was super anal about records being perfect and mint. I'm going to watch this later and decide for myself where on the spectrum this lady is.

Maybe it's me but about 95% of new albums I buy have some kind of handling marks, small surface defects, or paper sleeve residue. It doesn't bother me but it makes me wonder how insane I would make myself if I was super anal about records being perfect and mint. I'm going to watch this later and decide for myself where on the spectrum this lady is.

I'd say that maybe 50% of the new stuff I buy has streaking and/or notable dusty paper residue, but from what I can tell, those records look much worse than the blemishes that I'm accustomed to seeing. I don't think that they were used & resealed, but they were probably heavily discounted by the labels & sold to VNYL in bulk due to the obvious imperfections. 

Definitely an improvement over the old VNYL scheme, but I can understand why she'd be disappointed.

Which brings up another question... why do so many modern new releases have cosmetic problems? I've bought vintage sealed records that had pretty heavily abused sleeves, yet the vinyl will be in perfect condition. The new stuff, on the other hand, will look like it got dragged around on carpet before it was sealed & sold. 

I'd say that maybe 50% of the new stuff I buy has streaking and/or notable dusty paper residue, but from what I can tell, those records look much worse than the blemishes that I'm accustomed to seeing. I don't think that they were used & resealed, but they were probably heavily discounted by the labels & sold to VNYL in bulk due to the obvious imperfections. 

Definitely an improvement over the old VNYL scheme, but I can understand why she'd be disappointed.

Which brings up another question... why do so many modern new releases have cosmetic problems? I've bought vintage sealed records that had pretty heavily abused sleeves, yet the vinyl will be in perfect condition. The new stuff, on the other hand, will look like it got dragged around on carpet before it was sealed & sold.

The vinyl manufacturing process takes a lot of care, patience and time in order to make a high quality product. Nowadays the demand for vinyl is too high to guarantee any of those requirements.

• 7 months later...