29 minutes ago, Halo 2 said:

Just signed up! Got an invite to their community where you can interact with some of the staff. Cool program so far hopefully I get some good stuff in the mail. 

if it was anyone else saying this I would take it as bait/sarcasm, but since it's you I know it must be at least half true

1 minute ago, double d said:

if it was anyone else saying this I would take it as bait/sarcasm, but since it's you I know it must be at least half true

Figured I'd try it out for myself after hearing about it so much.

Some dude in a discord chat I run randomly asked if I wanted his $10 referral code, and their store had Danny Brown's XXX so I jumped in!

I decided to spend 40 bucks a while back to try it for the Lapsley album since I believed the people who actually enjoyed it and at the very least I knew I was getting one that I wanted. After receiving it, I compared it to some of the other unboxing videos I found online and it seems like they just send out the same shit to everyone regardless of your music taste or hashtag vibe thing. It's like they get a ton of not so popular/older EPs and just send those out to everyone. Oh well. Sold one of the other ones on discogs. 

2 hours ago, jact16 said:

I decided to spend 40 bucks a while back to try it for the Lapsley album since I believed the people who actually enjoyed it and at the very least I knew I was getting one that I wanted. After receiving it, I compared it to some of the other unboxing videos I found online and it seems like they just send out the same shit to everyone regardless of your music taste or hashtag vibe thing. It's like they get a ton of not so popular/older EPs and just send those out to everyone. Oh well. Sold one of the other ones on discogs. 

- their model used to be "hey! we're netflix for records. choose what you want and send it back when you want something new!"

- that's illegal, so there model changed to "hey! we looked at your musical interests and thought you might like these dollar bin records!" while simultaneously opening a brick and mortar with the money people paid them

- then people called them out for charging money for that shit, so the model became "hey! we ordered tons of copies of the same records this month at discount. we're going to try and act like we chose this just for you based on your interests and hashtags! hopefully this handwritten note will fool you!"

I can't wait to find out what shady shit comes next.

1 hour ago, 3arl said:

- their model used to be "hey! we're netflix for records. choose what you want and send it back when you want something new!"

- that's illegal, so there model changed to "hey! we looked at your musical interests and thought you might like these dollar bin records!" while simultaneously opening a brick and mortar with the money people paid them

- then people called them out for charging money for that shit, so the model became "hey! we ordered tons of copies of the same records this month at discount. we're going to try and act like we chose this just for you based on your interests and hashtags! hopefully this handwritten note will fool you!"

I can't wait to find out what shady shit comes next.

Again, not much loss on my part since I sold one and one I had already wanted, but I don't think they'll go out of business soon. The problem is that a lot of the people who subscribe are for whatever reason completely satisfied - even thrilled - by the records sent to them. They don't realize they're older, sometimes obscure EPs that they could acquire a lot cheaper elsewhere if they ever actively looked for this music that they probably otherwise wouldn't give a shit about. 

2 hours ago, jact16 said:

The problem is that a lot of the people who subscribe are for whatever reason completely satisfied - even thrilled - by the records sent to them. They don't realize they're older, sometimes obscure EPs that they could acquire a lot cheaper elsewhere if they ever actively looked for this music that they probably otherwise wouldn't give a shit about. 

Sadly this does prove the rule that there's one born every minute and probably means the gullible idiot ratio has been going up.

At this rate I'm going to be able to make an absolute killing on all the Perry Como, Max Bygraves, Richard Clayderman, Acker Bilk and any other mindless tat records I've been hoarding in a lockup garage in Shoreditch, Retirement on Acapulco beach here I come.

12 hours ago, 3arl said:

The tried and true Columbia House business model. #vintage #failed 

On May 3, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Halo 2 said:

Some gaming communities, the guy with the vnyl code was in our Dark Souls 3 channel.

Again... Link?

Sadly, this is the only time I have never seen you respond or post your every waking idle thought.  What's up with the sudden inconsistency?  Is it because you know you're kind of a pest on here and you don't want people to do the same to you there?

4 minutes ago, freedumb said:

Again... Link?

Sadly, this is the only time I have never seen you respond or post your every waking idle thought.  What's up with the sudden inconsistency?  Is it because you know you're kind of a pest on here and you don't want people to do the same to you there?

Seems very possible he finally got banned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Well they called it Record Day so I think I'll wait for a review on a site that doesn't think that sound quality ends with Bose. 

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

Can someone please summarize the article for me, I'm just too busy maintaining my record player and its amplifier to read it? 

Edited by zdkaiser

2 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

This is nothing but a regurgitated press release. Guessing they got ~200 bucks in exchange for a relatively believable hype post.

Hadn't checked out the TRNTBL website until now. I LOVE that it is nothing but a series of pictures and a preorder link with a field for name and credit card info. Not a single tech spec, including details on how it integrates with Spotify (?!?!?!?)

43 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

This is nothing but a regurgitated press release. Guessing they got ~200 bucks in exchange for a relatively believable hype post.

Hadn't checked out the TRNTBL website until now. I LOVE that it is nothing but a series of pictures and a preorder link with a field for name and credit card info. Not a single tech spec, including details on how it integrates with Spotify (?!?!?!?)

No shit. And they claim it integrates with Sonos as well, but I believe other -ahem- more established companies have had issues with this.

I work at Sonos and have seen and heard it. It works. So does the Spotify integration. Pretty cool piece of kit. It's on demo now at the Goodland Hotel in Goleta working with Sonos if anyone wants to see it. Believe it or not the hotel has a #vnyl pop-up store inside. 

Edited by ryanwtaylor